Re: The Adventures of the SV Dawn Treader and her Captain, alias, Bumblin' Bob

  • Brandon F
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2013
      Jim, Best of luck to you. On your way south let me know if you stop in at Newport, Ore.

      Brandon
      SV Oceanus, C-43
      Newport, Ore.
      http://hagothlog.blogspot.com/

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <svdawntreader@...> wrote:

      > It is Friday Night, almost midnight here. I am going to bed to get some sleep after a very full day of working on the storage and cleaning up of the boat in preparation for my shoving off next week. It is hard to believe it is this close. I have been waiting so many years for this time to come! Since I was a young lad in Portsmouth NH, on the boardwalk, listening to the stories of the old man caretaker of the museum on the waterfront downtown. Oh you should have heard the stories he told me of his days on the ocean in sailing ships. I stopped by sometimes for a few hours, more than once a week... This place was just a short walk from my home at 108 State Street, some memories are very vivid. This was back in 1967-1969 period, he was very old then, probably in his late 60's, maybe even older. He struck a spark in my life's journey, and it lit a roaring fire that will take me to the far corners of the world in my boat, God willing.

    • dwardpool
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2013
        Jim, I wish you the best trip of your life. I really mean that. I know what you have gone through in preparing for this voyage. Please do keep us all in touch so we can enjoy some of your experiences with you.
        Doug Ward

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <svdawntreader@...> wrote:

        > It is Friday Night, almost midnight here. I am going to bed to get some sleep after a very full day of working on the storage and cleaning up of the boat in preparation for my shoving off next week. It is hard to believe it is this close. I have been waiting so many years for this time to come! Since I was a young lad in Portsmouth NH, on the boardwalk, listening to the stories of the old man caretaker of the museum on the waterfront downtown. Oh you should have heard the stories he told me of his days on the ocean in sailing ships. I stopped by sometimes for a few hours, more than once a week... This place was just a short walk from my home at 108 State Street, some memories are very vivid. This was back in 1967-1969 period, he was very old then, probably in his late 60's, maybe even older. He struck a spark in my life's journey, and it lit a roaring fire that will take me to the far corners of the world in my boat, God willing.

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2013
          The inside passage to Juneau and Skagway, then to Sitka, then offshore back to Washington State. Then South with the Coho HoHo to Link up with the Baja HaHa and then I ain't gots no ID! Souuth, West, North, East, not sure.....

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2013
            About 5 June I will be leaving Campbell River, BC, supposedy with HJ as crew to Ketchikan where he needs to go ashore. I will have to get to Juneau by 4th of July. 18 July leaving Juneau to go to SItka, then offshore to WA State. Need to be in Pousbo WA, on the 8th of Aug for link up with Coho HoHo Ralley. Lots of time with lots of options. C'mon, bring your ditty bag and passport, and spirit for calm adventure!