Re: CYOA - Re: wheel vs tiller helm

  • harryjak
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 6 7:01 PM
      Best feeling of speed is 20-100 ft 400-600 Kts, the ground blurs in your periphery.

      HJ

      undoubtedly km/h but still frighteningly fast if you're not used to

    • Daniel Grant
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 15, 2014
        Mitch,
        Mix epoxy and graphite and pour it around the rudder shaft. It is easier if you wax the rudder shaft first then put it back (reinstall it). This will give you a very smooth "tight" fit and you will not have any looseness or play in the rudder. There are others on this site that will most likely chime in especially Cpt. Esterle. Dan

        To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
        From: kestrel-01@...
        Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 14:56:27 -0700
        Subject: CYOA - RE: wheel vs tiller helm

        Hi Dave;

        I still plan on converting back to a tiller, but I haven't had the time/money to do so.  Life keeps on getting in the way.  For my boat the conversion would be relatively simple.  The previous owner had already moved the motor controls from the pedestal to a single lever mounted side of the cockpit.  So all I need to do is pull out the pedestal, patch the holes in the cockpit floor, and hookup a tiller to the rudder stock.  I could use the emergency tiller for this, provided that it would be safe and strong enough to use full time.  Or the emergency tiller could be used as a short term solution, until I have the time to do something nicer.

        I really don't like having a wheel in my 8.7.  The wheel takes up too much cockpit space and moving around the wheel is a pain.  Personally, I also find it hard to steer with a wheel.  I'm used to having the feel and handling of a tiller.  I frequently loose sight of what position my rudder is in, so I often put the rudder too hard over, especially when I'm reversing out of my slip.

        One thought I did have was to replace the 8.7 rudder's stuffing box with a steel or aluminum sleeve and bearing assembly.  Apparently this sort of thing requires a lot less maintenance and is totally leak proof.  I'm told that I have to replace my rudder's bearings soon, so this might be the way for me to go.  But like I said, I haven't had the time so I haven't put much research into the project.

        Mitch