RE: CYOA - Chain plate backing [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2013

      Maybe it was a little over kill but when I re-did mine on my old Pearson Ariel I used 3/32” 316 stainless, 2” wide. Typical male, more is better. J

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
        Overkill is under appreciated!

        I plan on doing the exact same thing when I move my chainplates to the outer hull and add duel lowers to Sine Metu, my 1963 C24.

        Best of luck!

        JB

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

        > I am getting set to reinstall chain plates. The backing on the other side of the
        > bulkhead from the chain plates was aluminum 3/8th's . They are corroded, is there
        > any reason why I couldn't use 3/8th's G 10, no corrosion, about as strong. I could
        > bond them to the bulkhead if I wanted to. Attached pic of aluminum.

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
          I missed the thread on 'G10' What is that?

          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "JBWrites - San Diego Freelance Writer" <jbwrites2@...> wrote:

          > Overkill is under appreciated!
          >
          > I plan on doing the exact same thing when I move my chainplates to the outer hull and add duel lowers to Sine Metu, my 1963 C24.
          >
          > Best of luck!
          >
          > JB
          >
          > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I am getting set to reinstall chain plates. The backing on the other side of the
          > > bulkhead from the chain plates was aluminum 3/8th's . They are corroded, is there
          > > any reason why I couldn't use 3/8th's G 10, no corrosion, about as strong. I could
          > > bond them to the bulkhead if I wanted to. Attached pic of aluminum.

        • harryjak
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
            It is really strong epoxy fiberglass premanufactured sheets.

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/190815377854?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

            Capt Pauley has been a fan for quite a while. It makes great backing plates vice
            metal because it is strong, will not corrode, it can be bonded easily to the
            substrate, it can be painted easier than metal.

            I will show you a sheet when I come through next month.

            HJ

            I missed the thread on 'G10' What is that?

            > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "JBWrites - San Diego Freelance
            > Writer" <jbwrites2@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> Overkill is under appreciated!
            >>
            >> I plan on doing the exact same thing when I move my chainplates to the outer hull
            >> and add duel lowers to Sine Metu, my 1963 C24.
            >>
            >> Best of luck!
            >>
            >> JB
            >>
            >> --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@ wrote:
            >> >
            >> > I am getting set to reinstall chain plates. The backing on the other side of
            >> the
            >> > bulkhead from the chain plates was aluminum 3/8th's . They are corroded, is
            >> there
            >> > any reason why I couldn't use 3/8th's G 10, no corrosion, about as strong. I
            >> could
            >> > bond them to the bulkhead if I wanted to. Attached pic of aluminum.

          • BRIAN MULLIGAN
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
              Welshmen,

              I can make new chain plates..  Alun 6061-T6 or 316 S.S.  Contact me if you want new chain plates.

              Brian Mulligan