Re: CYOA - Chain plate backing [1 Attachment]

  • Paul Esterle
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2013
      I really, really, really like the use of G10 in place of the aluminum
      backing plates. I also routed a 1.8" deep groove in the bulkhead down to
      the stringers and filled it with 3" wide lamination's of FG tape and
      epoxy...

      Capt'n Pauley (Paul Esterle)
      Freelance Boating Writer
      www.thevirtualboatyard.com
      www.youtube.com/user/captnpauley
      www.lulu.com/spotlight/captnpauley

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2013

        Maybe it was a little over kill but when I re-did mine on my old Pearson Ariel I used 3/32” 316 stainless, 2” wide. Typical male, more is better. J

        I am getting set to reinstall chain plates. The backing on the other side of the
        bulkhead from the chain plates was aluminum 3/8th's . They are corroded, is there
        any reason why I couldn't use 3/8th's G 10, no corrosion, about as strong. I could
        bond them to the bulkhead if I wanted to. Attached pic of aluminum.

      • JBWrites - San Diego Freelance Writer
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
          Overkill is under appreciated!

          I plan on doing the exact same thing when I move my chainplates to the outer hull and add duel lowers to Sine Metu, my 1963 C24.

          Best of luck!

          JB

          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

          > I am getting set to reinstall chain plates. The backing on the other side of the
          > bulkhead from the chain plates was aluminum 3/8th's . They are corroded, is there
          > any reason why I couldn't use 3/8th's G 10, no corrosion, about as strong. I could
          > bond them to the bulkhead if I wanted to. Attached pic of aluminum.

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
            I missed the thread on 'G10' What is that?

            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "JBWrites - San Diego Freelance Writer" <jbwrites2@...> wrote:

            > Overkill is under appreciated!
            >
            > I plan on doing the exact same thing when I move my chainplates to the outer hull and add duel lowers to Sine Metu, my 1963 C24.
            >
            > Best of luck!
            >
            > JB
            >
            > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@ wrote:
            > >
            > > I am getting set to reinstall chain plates. The backing on the other side of the
            > > bulkhead from the chain plates was aluminum 3/8th's . They are corroded, is there
            > > any reason why I couldn't use 3/8th's G 10, no corrosion, about as strong. I could
            > > bond them to the bulkhead if I wanted to. Attached pic of aluminum.

          • harryjak
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
              It is really strong epoxy fiberglass premanufactured sheets.

              http://www.ebay.com/itm/190815377854?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

              Capt Pauley has been a fan for quite a while. It makes great backing plates vice
              metal because it is strong, will not corrode, it can be bonded easily to the
              substrate, it can be painted easier than metal.

              I will show you a sheet when I come through next month.

              HJ

              I missed the thread on 'G10' What is that?

              > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "JBWrites - San Diego Freelance
              > Writer" <jbwrites2@...> wrote:
              >>

              >> Overkill is under appreciated!
              >>
              >> I plan on doing the exact same thing when I move my chainplates to the outer hull
              >> and add duel lowers to Sine Metu, my 1963 C24.
              >>
              >> Best of luck!
              >>
              >> JB
              >>
              >> --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@ wrote:
              >> >
              >> > I am getting set to reinstall chain plates. The backing on the other side of
              >> the
              >> > bulkhead from the chain plates was aluminum 3/8th's . They are corroded, is
              >> there
              >> > any reason why I couldn't use 3/8th's G 10, no corrosion, about as strong. I
              >> could
              >> > bond them to the bulkhead if I wanted to. Attached pic of aluminum.

            • BRIAN MULLIGAN
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
                Welshmen,

                I can make new chain plates..  Alun 6061-T6 or 316 S.S.  Contact me if you want new chain plates.

                Brian Mulligan