RE: CYOA - Home made self steering plans.

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 28 1:59 PM

      Hi Bill. Thanks for the link. Looks like a really good site for far more than what I’m asking for. Thank you for the reply and also for all the things you post. I think I’ve actually grown to expect them. Thank you.

      Jesse Doyle

      1971 Columbia 28’

      s/v Wind Singer

      Redwood City, Ca.

      37º 35’ 14.32” N

      122º 18’ 58.89” W

      From: cwrandomx@...
      Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:58:21 +0000

      DrDave (Parker) designed one..I had the plans but can not locate them as of last week...they may be in his book "ocean voyaging" but can't find that either (they were together)...someone on the list must have them too. Wish DrDave was still with bus to chime in! Chip

      From: "WindSinger" <doyleent@...>

      Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:32:46 -0000

      Subject: CYOA - Home made self steering plans.

      I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything anymore.
      Thanks guys.
      Wind Singer

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 28 2:01 PM

        Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read. J

        There's a book by Dr. Dave titled Ocean Voyaging available for a few buck on Amazon.  Several plans in there, including discussion etc.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 28 2:07 PM
          I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
          REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

          PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
          Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 28 2:24 PM

            You’re doing great Jim. Couldn’t find any faults but then again I failed at grammar. J

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 28 2:47 PM
              Light displacement planing hull?  Like the USS Missouri does?

              I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
              REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

              PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
              Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

              > Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read. J

            • cwrandomx
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 28 2:56 PM
                Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                From: "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...>
                Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:24:22 -0700
                To: <columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: RE: CYOA - Re: Home made self steering plans.

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 28 4:51 PM

                  No dinner but I do know a guy in Arizona with a 75 year old 5 gallon bottle of black label Jack Daniels. Sure hope he’s at the same address but I doubt it. He was 80 when I last knew him. Bet his kids got it. He worked for them for twenty five years and that was his retirement gift. So I guess it will have to be some good ale. That is if we ever meet. Fair winds Chip.

                  Jesse Doyle

                  1971 Columbia 28’

                  s/v Wind Singer

                  Redwood City, Ca.

                  37º 35’ 14.32” N

                  122º 18’ 58.89” W

                  From: "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...>

                  Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:24:22 -0700

                  You’re doing great Jim. Couldn’t find any faults but then again I failed at grammar. J

                  I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
                  REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

                  PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
                  Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

                  > Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read . J

                • sv Compass Rose
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 28 5:34 PM
                    And don't forget Mike Keers.....

                    Eric

                    --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, cwrandomx@... wrote:

                    > Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                  • cwrandomx
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 28 6:16 PM
                      Yeah Eric....I knew there was another but between feeble brainitis and blackberry it did not get listed..."Special K" was one of the most clever boat names & graphics I have ever seen...(Along with compass rose). Chip

                      From: "sv Compass Rose" <svcompassrose@...>
                      Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 00:34:36 -0000
                      To: <columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>
                      ReplyTo: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                      And don't forget Mike Keers.....

                      Eric

                      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, cwrandomx@... wrote:

                      > Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                    • Larry W
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 28 8:17 PM
                        If memory serves, Dan Grant has the plans for the last design that Dave and Robert put together. Dave's widow was to receive any profits from the sale of copies.

                        Larry Wilson
                        Richmond,Va.

                        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "WindSinger" <doyleent@...> wrote:

                        > I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything anymore.
                        > Thanks guys.
                        > Wind Singer

                      • harryjak
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 29 8:05 PM
                          Jesse

                          Here is a link that will get you a copy of a now defunct web page. This is pretty
                          good stuff.

                          http://www.windautopilot.de/_de/7_dy_area/WaltMurray/WaltMurray.html

                          HJ

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 30 2:18 PM

                            Unfortunately HJ the web page is in memory of him and all the stuff at the top in in German, Russian or something there about.

                            Here is a link that will get you a copy of a now defunct web page. This is pretty
                            good stuff.

                            http://www.windautopilot.de/_de/7_dy_area/WaltMurray/WaltMurray.html

                            HJ

                            I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know

                            > of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have
                            > and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The
                            > reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america
                            > from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do
                            > it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything
                            > anymore.
                            > Thanks guys.
                            > Wind Singer

                          • harryjak
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 30 7:00 PM
                            Jesse

                            The download I got was most of his web page. I am attaching it, I don't know if it
                            will work through the Yahoo site. If it doesn't then I could forward you the zip
                            file directly. When you unzip it, just click on the HTML links. All the Jpegs are
                            linked to those pages.

                            HJ