Re: CYOA - Home made self steering plans.

  • cwrandomx
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
      My earlier email re: dr dave must still be out there lol.....that what I "said" an hour ago.... ;-) chip

      From: Jim Muri <irumrj@...>
      Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:22:31 -0700 (PDT)
      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com<columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: CYOA - Home made self steering plans.

      There's a book by Dr. Dave titled Ocean Voyaging available for a few buck on Amazon.  Several plans in there, including discussion etc.

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

        Chip, I’m not sure but I thought that someone said that Dr. Dave had gone to Davy Jones Locker. If not I apologize to him for thinking so. I truly wish that I had been here to absorb his info, experience and thoughts.  Thank you for the reply.

        Jesse Doyle

        1971 Columbia 28’

        s/v Wind Singer

        Redwood City, Ca.

        37º 35’ 14.32” N

        122º 18’ 58.89” W

        DrDave (Parker) designed one..I had the plans but can not locate them as of last week...they may be in his book "ocean voyaging" but can't find that either (they were together)...someone on the list must have them too. Wish DrDave was still with bus to chime in! Chip

        From: "WindSinger" <doyleent@...>

        Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:32:46 -0000

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

          Hi Bill. Thanks for the link. Looks like a really good site for far more than what I’m asking for. Thank you for the reply and also for all the things you post. I think I’ve actually grown to expect them. Thank you.

          Jesse Doyle

          1971 Columbia 28’

          s/v Wind Singer

          From: "WindSinger" <doyleent@...>

          Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:32:46 -0000

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

            Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read. J

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
              I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
              REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

              PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
              Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

                You’re doing great Jim. Couldn’t find any faults but then again I failed at grammar. J

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                  Light displacement planing hull?  Like the USS Missouri does?

                  I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
                  REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

                  PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
                  Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

                  > Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read. J

                • cwrandomx
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                    Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                    From: "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...>
                    Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:24:22 -0700
                    To: <columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: RE: CYOA - Re: Home made self steering plans.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

                      No dinner but I do know a guy in Arizona with a 75 year old 5 gallon bottle of black label Jack Daniels. Sure hope he’s at the same address but I doubt it. He was 80 when I last knew him. Bet his kids got it. He worked for them for twenty five years and that was his retirement gift. So I guess it will have to be some good ale. That is if we ever meet. Fair winds Chip.

                      Jesse Doyle

                      1971 Columbia 28’

                      s/v Wind Singer

                      Redwood City, Ca.

                      37º 35’ 14.32” N

                      122º 18’ 58.89” W

                      From: "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...>

                      Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:24:22 -0700

                      You’re doing great Jim. Couldn’t find any faults but then again I failed at grammar. J

                      I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
                      REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

                      PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
                      Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

                      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

                      > Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read . J

                    • sv Compass Rose
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                        And don't forget Mike Keers.....

                        Eric

                        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, cwrandomx@... wrote:

                        > Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                      • cwrandomx
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                          Yeah Eric....I knew there was another but between feeble brainitis and blackberry it did not get listed..."Special K" was one of the most clever boat names & graphics I have ever seen...(Along with compass rose). Chip

                          From: "sv Compass Rose" <svcompassrose@...>
                          Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 00:34:36 -0000
                          To: <columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                          And don't forget Mike Keers.....

                          Eric

                          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, cwrandomx@... wrote:

                          > Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                        • Larry W
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                            If memory serves, Dan Grant has the plans for the last design that Dave and Robert put together. Dave's widow was to receive any profits from the sale of copies.

                            Larry Wilson
                            Richmond,Va.

                            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "WindSinger" <doyleent@...> wrote:

                            > I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything anymore.
                            > Thanks guys.
                            > Wind Singer

                          • harryjak
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 29, 2013
                              Jesse

                              Here is a link that will get you a copy of a now defunct web page. This is pretty
                              good stuff.

                              http://www.windautopilot.de/_de/7_dy_area/WaltMurray/WaltMurray.html

                              HJ

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013

                                Unfortunately HJ the web page is in memory of him and all the stuff at the top in in German, Russian or something there about.

                                Here is a link that will get you a copy of a now defunct web page. This is pretty
                                good stuff.

                                http://www.windautopilot.de/_de/7_dy_area/WaltMurray/WaltMurray.html

                                HJ

                                I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know

                                > of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have
                                > and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The
                                > reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america
                                > from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do
                                > it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything
                                > anymore.
                                > Thanks guys.
                                > Wind Singer

                              • harryjak
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
                                Jesse

                                The download I got was most of his web page. I am attaching it, I don't know if it
                                will work through the Yahoo site. If it doesn't then I could forward you the zip
                                file directly. When you unzip it, just click on the HTML links. All the Jpegs are
                                linked to those pages.

                                HJ