Home made self steering plans.

  • WindSinger
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
      I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything anymore.
      Thanks guys.
      Wind Singer
    • cwrandomx
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
        DrDave (Parker) designed one..I had the plans but can not locate them as of last week...they may be in his book "ocean voyaging" but can't find that either (they were together)...someone on the list must have them too. Wish DrDave was still with bus to chime in! Chip

        From: "WindSinger" <doyleent@...>
        Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:32:46 -0000
        To: <columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: CYOA - Home made self steering plans.

        I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything anymore.
        Thanks guys.
        Wind Singer

      • Sailor4you Bill
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
          Some information on self-steering here.

           http://www.faymarine.com/plansite/fay_marine_yacht_pl.htm

          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
          From: cwrandomx@...
          Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:58:21 +0000
          Subject: Re: CYOA - Home made self steering plans.

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
            There's a book by Dr. Dave titled Ocean Voyaging available for a few buck on Amazon.  Several plans in there, including discussion etc.

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
              My earlier email re: dr dave must still be out there lol.....that what I "said" an hour ago.... ;-) chip

              From: Jim Muri <irumrj@...>
              Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:22:31 -0700 (PDT)
              To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com<columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

                Chip, I’m not sure but I thought that someone said that Dr. Dave had gone to Davy Jones Locker. If not I apologize to him for thinking so. I truly wish that I had been here to absorb his info, experience and thoughts.  Thank you for the reply.

                Jesse Doyle

                1971 Columbia 28’

                s/v Wind Singer

                Redwood City, Ca.

                37º 35’ 14.32” N

                122º 18’ 58.89” W

                From: "WindSinger" <doyleent@...>

                Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:32:46 -0000

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

                  Hi Bill. Thanks for the link. Looks like a really good site for far more than what I’m asking for. Thank you for the reply and also for all the things you post. I think I’ve actually grown to expect them. Thank you.

                  Jesse Doyle

                  1971 Columbia 28’

                  s/v Wind Singer

                  Redwood City, Ca.

                  37º 35’ 14.32” N

                  122º 18’ 58.89” W

                  From: "WindSinger" <doyleent@...>

                  Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:32:46 -0000

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

                    Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read. J

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                      I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
                      REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

                      PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
                      Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

                        You’re doing great Jim. Couldn’t find any faults but then again I failed at grammar. J

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                          Light displacement planing hull?  Like the USS Missouri does?

                          I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
                          REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

                          PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
                          Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

                          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

                          > Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read. J

                        • cwrandomx
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                            Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                            From: "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...>
                            Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:24:22 -0700
                            To: <columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>
                            ReplyTo: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                            Subject: RE: CYOA - Re: Home made self steering plans.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013

                              No dinner but I do know a guy in Arizona with a 75 year old 5 gallon bottle of black label Jack Daniels. Sure hope he’s at the same address but I doubt it. He was 80 when I last knew him. Bet his kids got it. He worked for them for twenty five years and that was his retirement gift. So I guess it will have to be some good ale. That is if we ever meet. Fair winds Chip.

                              Jesse Doyle

                              1971 Columbia 28’

                              s/v Wind Singer

                              Redwood City, Ca.

                              37º 35’ 14.32” N

                              122º 18’ 58.89” W

                              From: "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...>

                              Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:24:22 -0700

                              You’re doing great Jim. Couldn’t find any faults but then again I failed at grammar. J

                              I have pictures of the one that Dr Dave made for OUTATIME when Jim Muri owned it. I modified it's design to make mine.
                              REF: Back a while ago I talked about a mod. I use a Raymarine ST-2000 tiller pilot to steer my boat now. Piece of cake. Steers very well, can steer the boat well in some pretty good wind too. So far up to 12 knots and 18 ish gusts. I figure if I need more power, I will use the windvane as it has all the power I need for sure on my boat. But then again, I have a light displacement planing hull...

                              PS: How's my english and grammar doing?
                              Edittin my own stuff takes time from my postings...

                              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

                              > Found the book. Not a bad price. Now if I could only read . J

                            • sv Compass Rose
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                                And don't forget Mike Keers.....

                                Eric

                                --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, cwrandomx@... wrote:

                                > Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                              • cwrandomx
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                                  Yeah Eric....I knew there was another but between feeble brainitis and blackberry it did not get listed..."Special K" was one of the most clever boat names & graphics I have ever seen...(Along with compass rose). Chip

                                  From: "sv Compass Rose" <svcompassrose@...>
                                  Sender: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 00:34:36 -0000
                                  To: <columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com>
                                  ReplyTo: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                                  And don't forget Mike Keers.....

                                  Eric

                                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, cwrandomx@... wrote:

                                  > Yeah Jesse, DrDave joined Jean & Robert in the final sail...3 of our founding members...others too has set off on that voyage, though Dave & Jean Sommerhussen were the one's I had shared a meal and a stein (or 4) with...amazon has sev ocean voyaging copies cheap....I bought one there & drdave signed it for me a cpl of yrs before his death..had dinner with Jean in Belgium A year before his death.....so don't accept a dinner invite from me...it can be bad for you health. Lolololol chip ;-)

                                • Larry W
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                                    If memory serves, Dan Grant has the plans for the last design that Dave and Robert put together. Dave's widow was to receive any profits from the sale of copies.

                                    Larry Wilson
                                    Richmond,Va.

                                    --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "WindSinger" <doyleent@...> wrote:

                                    > I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything anymore.
                                    > Thanks guys.
                                    > Wind Singer

                                  • harryjak
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 29, 2013
                                      Jesse

                                      Here is a link that will get you a copy of a now defunct web page. This is pretty
                                      good stuff.

                                      http://www.windautopilot.de/_de/7_dy_area/WaltMurray/WaltMurray.html

                                      HJ

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013

                                        Unfortunately HJ the web page is in memory of him and all the stuff at the top in in German, Russian or something there about.

                                        Here is a link that will get you a copy of a now defunct web page. This is pretty
                                        good stuff.

                                        http://www.windautopilot.de/_de/7_dy_area/WaltMurray/WaltMurray.html

                                        HJ

                                        I ask this question off topic but no answer. Most likely missed. Does anyone know

                                        > of files here that show how to make one. I have a buddy with the same boat I have
                                        > and he needs to make a mock up before he has it made into stainless steel. The
                                        > reason he wants it is because he's planning to go around the tip of south america
                                        > from the east coast. Got a lot more balls than I do. So if anyone knows how to do
                                        > it or if the files are here, could you let me know. I can't seem to find anything
                                        > anymore.
                                        > Thanks guys.
                                        > Wind Singer

                                      • harryjak
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
                                        Jesse

                                        The download I got was most of his web page. I am attaching it, I don't know if it
                                        will work through the Yahoo site. If it doesn't then I could forward you the zip
                                        file directly. When you unzip it, just click on the HTML links. All the Jpegs are
                                        linked to those pages.

                                        HJ