Re: CYOA - Re: New blog about renovating my Columbia 7.6

  • c29131
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1 7:31 AM
      So I guess I'm not original in naming my nearly complete dinghy Callinectes.  Struggled with a name, drew back on my marine biology undergrad while crabbing off the dock, and out popped Callinectes.  Ordered the vinyl name, which still occupies the shipping box 3 years later.  Just a little varnish and she's done.
      Doug

      In a message dated 2/24/2013 10:35:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dcthenderson@... writes:

      Pete,

      That story of your Callinectes sounds amazing. I am glad that you approve of the name. Thanks for reading my humble attempts at writing.

      To subscribe, the blog just gets delivered (a bit like an email) to whatever service you want. This is called an RSS feed. You can use MyYahoo to read these RSS blog feeds. Nothing gets downloaded. You can also have the blog posts delivered to your email if you would like. I use MyYahoo for the blogs that I read and it works pretty nice. Another alternative is that you can just bookmark the site in your browser.

      Thanks again and best wishes,
      David

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" wrote:

      > David,
      > Thanks for posting the link to your blog. I plan to go back and admire your work, as this looks very enjoyable.
      > I read your exigesis of your boat name CALLINECTES, and that was very dear, reminding me of a warm night sailing single handed under a faint moon across the Lower Chesapeake.
      > POGO was tripping along at about 6 kts on flat water with a SSW breezea and a flooding tide.
      > As I stepped up on the fore deck to check lights and various other things, I looked ahead across the rosy moonlight-bathed water and saw a slight disturbance on the surface.
      > As POGO pulled onward, we came alongside this thing, overtaking this life form which was swimming along, and I could see it was a large crab, swimming on the surface, heading north with the tidal current.
      > In your blog explaining the origins of the boat name CALLINECTES, you tell readers that you adopted the name because it means "beautiful swimmer". These words resonated with my recollection of the callinectes sapidus of my own little story, swimming along under the moon that night; beautiful in the rare moment; so perfectly adapted; a fearless yet vulnerable "beautiful swimmer", indeed.....
      > ~ pete
      >
      > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "dcthenderson" wrote:
      > >
      > > I wanted to share a project I am working on. I will be adding posts on how I took this decaying 1978 and tried to make her shine again. I would love to hear any feedback.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > David
      > >
      > > Green Water Heritage: http://greenwaterheritage.blogspot.com

    • dcthenderson
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4 5:40 AM
        Doug,

        My guess is that neither of us are completely original. There must be more out there too. I think its a great name though. I have many projects around like your boat too. Would like to see your project if you wish to share. Varnishing is definitely the best step, a chance to see your hard work shine.

        Take care,
        David