Re: woody's 9.6

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 26, 2013
      Woody,
      Glad to know you have adequate medical care.
      Take care of yourself, fellow, and keep us posted.
      ~ pete

      columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "woodyhoskins" <woods.trading@...> wrote:

      > Hi friends, An eventful adventure here in West Palm Beach on my way to Panama then Hawaii Yea right,,,,,health set back after 40 yrs. finally quit smoking and then the damge to the lungs showed up as an infection shutting down my capability bto breathe at all! 6 days in the Va hopspital and now on oxygen thereapy is sending me tail tucked back to Green Cove Springs on the mooring ball for another year. Have numerous other projects anyway like this really cool idea bolstered by Alex Baldiwn's bravdo for reengineering, to cover the stern aft of the hatch cover seam, extend rudder post straight up and shorten tiller allowing a seaworthy 4 1/12 drain seaworthy cockpit and more room due short tiller and propane lockers each side storage!! I'm stoked!!!! Been designing in my head for months now. Sea trails went well offshore Lake Worth Inlet , West Palm Beach Harbor. The boat sails like a dream. Well worth the 3 yrs wait just to raise a sail on her! Learned why I was so nufoucoused and could not concentrate and short tempered. Cutting oxygen supply to the brain will do you in for sure!!! Robbed me of good part of my life and relationships with others in my madness... The baot will,mhave a name after alll "Patient Mariner" cause that's what I strive to be. Many thanks and blessings to all,,,,,,/),,,,,,, Just got word at GCS marina, John living abord the "Muari" a steel Ex navy vessel fell out of his dinghy and drowned, body found 8 days later. A memeorial will be held on the old military docks at GCS on March 3rd. Peace be with us all

    • Jeffrey Kuthy
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
        Woody,

        Hope you're doing better!

             I need to ask you about the window ports you chose on your 9.6. Do you remember what brand you bought. I'm wanting Bomars 2000 series. Defender has a good deal on them.

        Hope you shake this one off, just like all  the others before.
        Get better!

        Thanks
        Jeff

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
          Jeff,
          Not to co-opt your message to Woody, but just wanted to second your selection.
          I went directly to Pompanette in 2005 and placed an order which they priced for me through Sailnet store.
          Pompanette insisted on giving territory to one of their listed distributors, which is honorable, I guess. So I went to Sailnet to pay.
          I bought 6, and ended up installing 4, keeping the spares for, well, spares. I paid about $185 each back then. You can get them built to size, if you want, I think mine ended up like 7 X 21.
          I sized mine to fill as much of the 9.6 openings as possible, but had to fill the rhomboid corners with glass and resin.
          You could check with Defender about "outfitter pricing" they will sometimes discount if you ask.
          Anyway there's stuff you didn't ask for, but maybe it will help.
          Good Luck
          ~ pete

          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Kuthy <jeffkuthy@...> wrote:

          > Woody,
          >
          > Hope you're doing better!
          >
          > I need to ask you about the window ports you chose on your 9.6. Do you remember what brand you bought. I'm wanting Bomars 2000 series. Defender has a good deal on them.
          >
          > Hope you shake this one off, just like all the others before.
          > Get better!
          >
          > Thanks
          > Jeff
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Feb 25, 2013, at 4:59 PM, "woodyhoskins" <woods.trading@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi friends, An eventful adventure here in West Palm Beach on my way to Panama then Hawaii Yea right,,,,,health set back after 40 yrs. finally quit smoking and then the damge to the lungs showed up as an infection shutting down my capability bto breathe at all! 6 days in the Va hopspital and now on oxygen thereapy is sending me tail tucked back to Green Cove Springs on the mooring ball for another year. Have numerous other projects anyway like this really cool idea bolstered by Alex Baldiwn's bravdo for reengineering, to cover the stern aft of the hatch cover seam, extend rudder post straight up and shorten tiller allowing a seaworthy 4 1/12 drain seaworthy cockpit and more room due short tiller and propane lockers each side storage!! I'm stoked!!!! Been designing in my head for months now. Sea trails went well offshore Lake Worth Inlet , West Palm Beach Harbor. The boat sails like a dream. Well worth the 3 yrs wait just to raise a sail on her! Learned why I was so nufoucoused and could not concentrate and short tempered. Cutting oxygen supply to the brain will do you in for sure!!! Robbed me of good part of my life and relationships with others in my madness... The baot will,mhave a name after alll "Patient Mariner" cause that's what I strive to be. Many thanks and blessings to all,,,,,,/),,,,,,, Just got word at GCS marina, John living abord the "Muari" a steel Ex navy vessel fell out of his dinghy and drowned, body found 8 days later. A memeorial will be held on the old military docks at GCS on March 3rd. Peace be with us all

        • harryjak
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
            Outfitter pricing---Defender?? I wish I knew that 4 months and 6-8K spent there ago.

            HJ

            Jeff,
            > Not to co-opt your message to Woody, but just wanted to second your selection.
            > I went directly to Pompanette in 2005 and placed an order which they priced for me
            > through Sailnet store.
            > Pompanette insisted on giving territory to one of their listed distributors, which
            > is honorable, I guess. So I went to Sailnet to pay.
            > I bought 6, and ended up installing 4, keeping the spares for, well, spares. I paid
            > about $185 each back then. You can get them built to size, if you want, I think
            > mine ended up like 7 X 21.
            > I sized mine to fill as much of the 9.6 openings as possible, but had to fill the
            > rhomboid corners with glass and resin.
            > You could check with Defender about "outfitter pricing" they will sometimes
            > discount if you ask.
            > Anyway there's stuff you didn't ask for, but maybe it will help.
            > Good Luck
            > ~ pete

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 21, 2013
              That came from a transaction I negotiated for a furler and autohelm when everybody thought the economy was sour.
              Get a commercial account, you for one, surely qualify.
              How's all your work going?
              ~ pete

              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

              > Outfitter pricing---Defender?? I wish I knew that 4 months and 6-8K spent there ago.
              >
              > HJ
              >
              > Jeff,
              > > Not to co-opt your message to Woody, but just wanted to second your selection.
              > > I went directly to Pompanette in 2005 and placed an order which they priced for me
              > > through Sailnet store.
              > > Pompanette insisted on giving territory to one of their listed distributors, which
              > > is honorable, I guess. So I went to Sailnet to pay.
              > > I bought 6, and ended up installing 4, keeping the spares for, well, spares. I paid
              > > about $185 each back then. You can get them built to size, if you want, I think
              > > mine ended up like 7 X 21.
              > > I sized mine to fill as much of the 9.6 openings as possible, but had to fill the
              > > rhomboid corners with glass and resin.
              > > You could check with Defender about "outfitter pricing" they will sometimes
              > > discount if you ask.
              > > Anyway there's stuff you didn't ask for, but maybe it will help.
              > > Good Luck
              > > ~ pete

            • woodyhoskins
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 21, 2013
                Thanks for the Hope Jeff, I'm on oxygen therapy and am geeting better. Running around on deck with a tether ( the oxygen hose) but getting things done ei. bow roller, manual windlass install see photos 1976 Columbia restore. Sent a PM I guess to ya, For the group those are old 60's model Wilcox Crittened cast aluminum and if you are gonna pay top dollar for portlights may I suuggest New Found Metals for thier stainless or brass and info on installation. Peace out over,,,,,/),,,

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 21, 2013
                  Woody,
                  Good to know you are getting around...its also lucky you got the care you needed.
                  Are you back in Green Cove Springs, now?
                  ~ pete

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 21, 2013
                    Hey Pete, Man I'm livin the high life at anchor in Riviera Beach,Fl. West Palm Beach Harbor (Lake Worth Inlet) watching the spring breakers naked on Peanut Island! They got stereo speakers here the size of whole boats!! And bikinis the size of postage stamps if anything. OH well got catch my breath now see ya,,,,,,,/),,,,,,,

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 21, 2013

                      Jeffrey,

                      I uploaded some pics this morning:

                      I need to be clear about one thing: It was a lot like work.

                      Watch out about the curvature of the cabin trunk sides. Compound curve.

                      If I had it to do again, I'd build some rings from foam to fit the curves and allow flat mounting surface, then glue the rings to the cabin trunk sides, and hand file them flat, and fair and glass into place.

                      As it was, I had some curvature accounted for, and flexed the lights a little to pull them tight on 5200.

                      Should have used Boatlife or better yet, Butyl tape. I ended up with something contaminating the area around the lights, so that paint doesn't want to adhere. First tried primer and Brightsides.

                      Next year, that was peeling, so off it came, cleaned and meticulously applied Epoxy Prime Coat and Perfection 2-part.

                      That started peeling after two years. Time to try again, 'cause its peeling bad.

                      Could be dreaded amine blush, but could also be the 5200 schmutz rubbed into the glass, I don't know.

                      Hope this helps, and Good Luck!!

                      ~ pete

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 21, 2013
                        I am up to date as of the end of last week on the web site if you want to see results

                        http://www.hjboats.com/columbia38/index.html

                        HJ

                        That came from a transaction I negotiated for a furler and autohelm when everybody
                        > thought the economy was sour.
                        > Get a commercial account, you for one, surely qualify.
                        > How's all your work going?
                        > ~ pete
                        >

                        > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Outfitter pricing---Defender?? I wish I knew that 4 months and 6-8K spent there
                        >> ago.
                        >>
                        >> HJ
                        >>
                        >> Jeff,
                        >> > Not to co-opt your message to Woody, but just wanted to second your selection.
                        >> > I went directly to Pompanette in 2005 and placed an order which they priced for
                        >> me
                        >> > through Sailnet store.
                        >> > Pompanette insisted on giving territory to one of their listed distributors,
                        >> which
                        >> > is honorable, I guess. So I went to Sailnet to pay.
                        >> > I bought 6, and ended up installing 4, keeping the spares for, well, spares. I
                        >> paid
                        >> > about $185 each back then. You can get them built to size, if you want, I think
                        >> > mine ended up like 7 X 21.
                        >> > I sized mine to fill as much of the 9.6 openings as possible, but had to fill
                        >> the
                        >> > rhomboid corners with glass and resin.
                        >> > You could check with Defender about "outfitter pricing" they will sometimes
                        >> > discount if you ask.
                        >> > Anyway there's stuff you didn't ask for, but maybe it will help.
                        >> > Good Luck
                        >> > ~ pete

                      • harryjak
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 21, 2013
                          Woody

                          Good thing you don't have heart issues. Got some spring scenery here in Napa Marina
                          too, the swallows are in and I saw a redwing blackbird two days ago. I guess it
                          isn't quite the same.

                          HJ

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 21, 2013
                            These are fixed ports?
                            HJ

> [...]
                            > short tiller and propane lockers each side storage!! I'm stoked!!!! Been
                            > designing in my head for months now. Sea trails went well offshore Lake
                            > Worth Inlet , West Palm Beach Harbor. The boat sails like a dream. Well
                            > worth the 3 yrs wait just to raise a sail on her! Learned why I was so
                            > nufoucoused and could not concentrate and short tempered. Cutting oxygen
                            > supply to the brain will do you in for sure!!! Robbed me of good part of
                            > my life and relationships with others in my madness... The baot
                            > will,mhave a name after alll "Patient Mariner" cause that's what I
                            > strive to be. Many thanks and blessings to all,,,,,,/),,,,,,, Just got
                            > word at GCS marina, John living abord the "Muari" a steel Ex navy vessel
                            > fell out of his dinghy and drowned, body found 8 days later. A memeorial
                            > will be held on the old military docks at GCS on March 3rd. Peace be

                          • Peter
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 22, 2013
                              What an astonishing amount of work you have accomplished!!
                              The hull color is Great...that will look so sweet against the backdrop of the great Alaska wooded shorelines.
                              I've got to admire how you cut through the crap and just do what you think needs doing...like axing the strange "drawer-table" and interfering bulkhead.

                              So, I guess my complaining about how much work my cabin floor is and how it has kicked my butt for three weekends in a row now has no merit. But that's good, I just needed to get over it...
                              Great going, Harry, hang in there and keep sending pictures!!
                              ~ Pete

                              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

                              > I am up to date as of the end of last week on the web site if you want to see results
                              >
                              > http://www.hjboats.com/columbia38/index.html
                              >
                              > HJ
                              >
                              > That came from a transaction I negotiated for a furler and autohelm when everybody
                              > > thought the economy was sour.
                              > > Get a commercial account, you for one, surely qualify.
                              > > How's all your work going?
                              > > ~ pete
                              > >

                              > > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@ wrote:
                              > >>
                              > >> Outfitter pricing---Defender?? I wish I knew that 4 months and 6-8K spent there
                              > >> ago.
                              > >>
                              > >> HJ
                              > >>
                              > >> Jeff,
                              > >> me
                              > >> which
                              > >> paid
                              > >> the

                              > > Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
                              > > http://www.columbia-yachts.com/
                              > >
                              > > Home:
                              > > http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

                            • woodyhoskins
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 22, 2013
                                Very,Very nice indeed, well done,,,,,,,/),,,,,,,