Went sailing Saturday, here are yesterday's comments

  • Mike McCollough
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      No starting adjective, I got back last night from a 40 hour keep awake on a Beneteau 43 with several systems found not working enroute. The trip started with a 35 hour motor ride, and finished with a 5 hour fully reefed E-ticket ride, Matterhorn for the kiddies. The E-ticket even included a, no adjective, whale avoidance maneuver. We went to Santa Barbara and Santa Catalina Island instead of the Channel Islands. On the way a small craft to gale advisory was posted. The weather went from glassy water no wind, to 8+ seas and 15 to 20 knot winds, with 35 knot gusts. The whale surfaced and dove, in the middle of the seas and wind 50, yards off of the bow. The mark in the ocean was at least 75 feet. Education and experience can be a very interesting exercise.