Re: CYOA - Jbweld and gasoline

  • CJE
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
      With proper prep-work I would have confidence in the repair. Another alternative is Gas Tank Repair Epoxy - available at Pep Boys or Auto Zone or the like - and which is probably just more expensive J/B Weld. <g>

      If there is a 1" stub still sticking out could you use a hose and clamp?

      stephen
      -----------

      On Jan 3, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Mike McCollough wrote:

      All,

      In the process is installing my new2me engine the top of the filer tube to the fuel tank was cut off. There is about an inch left on the tank. Could I jbweld the top back on and have some confidence it will stay there?

      mike
      ============
    • CJE
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
        Although I agree in principle I think that caution is a little overstated. If there is something to provide the mechanical strength then the use of an epoxy becomes a overall deficient as other sealers could provide seal while also being removable later. <g>

        The key to sealing any joint is to make the sealed portion as thin - at 90º to the force being applied against the seal - as is possible. A 1/16" gasket is stronger than a 1/8" gasket and a 1/32" gasket is stronger than a 1/16" gasket.

        The key with epoxy is surface area of bonding. A butted-edge joint - depending solely on the epoxy for strength would make me moderately cautious. But any overlapping joint (say: at least a half dozen thickness wide) is likely stronger than the material being bonded.

        stephen
        -----------

        On Jan 3, 2013, at 10:29 AM, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:

        JB Weld does advertise that it can be used to repair fuel systems. However, do not rely on the JB to provide any mechanical strength. Use it as a sealing agent only. Use screws or threaded connectors or something to provide the mechanical strength.

        > All,
        >
        > In the process is installing my new2me engine the top of the filer tube to the fuel tank was cut off. There is about an inch left on the tank. Could I jbweld the top back on and have some confidence it will stay there?
        >
        > mike

      • Lance Como
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
          never thought of the gasket thang... thanks for the tip - I'll remember it.

          Lance

          On Jan 3, 2013, at 11:14 AM, CJE wrote:

[...]

          ------------------------------------

          Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
          http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

          Home:
          http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
             columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          ---
          Lance Como
          Como Consortium Ltd. WorldWide
          2933 Quail Avenue North
          Golden Valley, MN 55422
          USA

          763.521.5276    Office
          763.234.8008    Mobile
          612.677.3277    Fax
          800 730.6824    Toll-Free

          lance@...   E-mail
          lancecomo@...   International E-mail
          http://www.comoltd.com   Website

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
            No.  Better to make a proper joint there.  I have a friend who used a 'splint' of JB Weld and an aluminum sleeve cut from a beverage can, held in place with hose clamps.  It worked for years and is still working.  But that was with diesel.  I personally wouldn't do this with a gasser.