Re: CYOA - Jbweld and gasoline

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
      JB Weld does advertise that it can be used to repair fuel systems. However, do not rely on the JB to provide any mechanical strength. Use it as a sealing agent only. Use screws or threaded connectors or something to provide the mechanical strength.

      All,

      In the process is installing my new2me engine the top of the filer tube to the fuel tank was cut off. There is about an inch left on the tank. Could I jbweld the top back on and have some confidence it will stay there?

      mike

    • CJE
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
        With proper prep-work I would have confidence in the repair. Another alternative is Gas Tank Repair Epoxy - available at Pep Boys or Auto Zone or the like - and which is probably just more expensive J/B Weld. <g>

        If there is a 1" stub still sticking out could you use a hose and clamp?

        stephen
        -----------

        On Jan 3, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Mike McCollough wrote:

        All,

        In the process is installing my new2me engine the top of the filer tube to the fuel tank was cut off. There is about an inch left on the tank. Could I jbweld the top back on and have some confidence it will stay there?

        mike
        ============
      • CJE
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
          Although I agree in principle I think that caution is a little overstated. If there is something to provide the mechanical strength then the use of an epoxy becomes a overall deficient as other sealers could provide seal while also being removable later. <g>

          The key to sealing any joint is to make the sealed portion as thin - at 90º to the force being applied against the seal - as is possible. A 1/16" gasket is stronger than a 1/8" gasket and a 1/32" gasket is stronger than a 1/16" gasket.

          The key with epoxy is surface area of bonding. A butted-edge joint - depending solely on the epoxy for strength would make me moderately cautious. But any overlapping joint (say: at least a half dozen thickness wide) is likely stronger than the material being bonded.

          stephen
          -----------

          On Jan 3, 2013, at 10:29 AM, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:

          JB Weld does advertise that it can be used to repair fuel systems. However, do not rely on the JB to provide any mechanical strength. Use it as a sealing agent only. Use screws or threaded connectors or something to provide the mechanical strength.

          > All,
          >
          > In the process is installing my new2me engine the top of the filer tube to the fuel tank was cut off. There is about an inch left on the tank. Could I jbweld the top back on and have some confidence it will stay there?
          >
          > mike

        • Lance Como
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
            never thought of the gasket thang... thanks for the tip - I'll remember it.

            Lance

            On Jan 3, 2013, at 11:14 AM, CJE wrote:

[...]

            ------------------------------------

            Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
            http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

            Home:
            http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
               columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            ---
            Lance Como
            Como Consortium Ltd. WorldWide
            2933 Quail Avenue North
            Golden Valley, MN 55422
            USA

            763.521.5276    Office
            763.234.8008    Mobile
            612.677.3277    Fax
            800 730.6824    Toll-Free

            lance@...   E-mail
            lancecomo@...   International E-mail
            http://www.comoltd.com   Website

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
              No.  Better to make a proper joint there.  I have a friend who used a 'splint' of JB Weld and an aluminum sleeve cut from a beverage can, held in place with hose clamps.  It worked for years and is still working.  But that was with diesel.  I personally wouldn't do this with a gasser.