Re: CYOA - OBM in Columbia 28 well

  • welshman@ptialaska.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2012
      Miss read the first post, you have a 28. A little lighter than the 29 or the Triton
      also less wetted area.

      HJ

      I would bet money that this is a Tohatsu extra long shaft high thrust with a
      > mercury label. Works good on A Triton, same basic weight and dimensions as your 29.
      >
      > HJ
      >
      > All three outboard motors (mostly 9.9s)in the well of my Columbia 28 have become
      >> too heavy too handle after 26 years of owning and sailing my beautiful and
      >> faithful
      >> 1969 Columbia. A sailing friend in a nearby slip recently purchased the new
      >> Mercury 5hp, four stroke, 25" extra long shaft with 8" pusher prop. His 27'
      >> sailboat has a lighter displacement than the 7,000++ lbs Columbia 28. I'm
      >> thinking
      >> that motor just might be my next installment. What are you thoughts?
      >>
      >> Captain John - s/v Lagniappe, Columbia 28
      >> Fairhope, AL on beautiful Mobile Bay
      >>

      >> ------------------------------------
      >>
      >> Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
      >> http://www.columbia-yachts.com/
      >>
      >> Home:
      >> http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

    • miles mcdermott
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2012
        I have a yamaha in my columbia clasic 26.  I use the main hallyard  as a topping lift at the end of the boom, I wrap a rope around the moter  Then use the main sheet tackle to raise the motor. and swing it onto the dock. Makes it a lot easier to handle that big 110lb motor.  I know the motor is to big for my boat.  But I like to be able to motor off if I run up on a sand bank.  And with the motor down in that well. It is so much easier to start with electric start.  And so very hard to start it with a pull cord down there.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
          A good suggestion. If you can raise the end of the boom a little, it will help to keep it in pure compression. I use a similar rig with the spinnaker pole off the mast to hoist my wife's mortar into the foredeck. (100 lbs of bronze).

          I have a Yamaha in my Columbia classic 26.  I use the main halyard as a topping lift at the end of the boom, I wrap a rope around the moter  Then use the main sheet tackle to raise the motor. and swing it onto the dock. Makes it a lot easier to handle that big 110lb motor.  I know the motor is to big for my boat.  But I like to be able to motor off if I run up on a sand bank.  And with the motor down in that well. It is so much easier to start with electric start.  And so very hard to start it with a pull cord down there.

        • miles mcdermott
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
            I have always wanted one of those.  Just saw a web site that was about hunting ferral cats with a coehoorn mortar

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
              Well, this one is a coehorn, bored out to just under 4", just the size of a softball. I've used it to start sailboat races, using paper mache balls, of course. My wife is figuring that a shovel load of #6 and we go after ducks. Not sure what the possum cops will think of that.

              I have always wanted one of those.  Just saw a web site that was about hunting ferral cats with a coehoorn mortar

              ---
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
                I have been dealing with figuring out how to lift stuff onto the fore deck of the boat.
                I have the Boom, and a telescoping whisker pole. I made a strap like the belly strap for a horse saddle, using the ratchet straps from a trucker. Watch the shoulder of the roads; I see them all the time. I made it with 3 runs of the straps. I have the triangle shaped rings on the ends. I then put a piece of thick canvas across it so I can use it to hold the tack of my A-Sym Spinnaker. When I put it on the w-pole to lift my dinghy on to the deck, it really put too much strain on the pole. The halyard was on the end of the pole and the pole was attracted to my mast. SO I went out and found a spinnaker pole that would be tough enough to do it. Well, those things be real heavy.
                So after some thinking and a few weeks of staring at it, I came up with a mod.
                I added another ring to the center on the outside. So now I attach the halyard to the ring on the center, the belt or strap units goes over the pole and the block and tackle attach to the rings on the bottom side. I also have a line running from the top ring to a block on the end of the pole. This line is how I move the belt in and out on the pole. The pole actually doesn't carry much of any weight now. I can raise the dinghy from the deck and then put it outboard easily without banging the crap out of my lifelines and freeboard like it used to.
                I tried lifting the dinghy up and lowering it in the vertical position but that was really a pain in the butt. Not to mention the time I got `brained' by it and almost fell overboard. Think I got a mild concussion from that one. Huge dent in the back of my head, lights went out for a moment, headache ensued for a long bit.. Not to mention the blurry eyesight…
                So yep, the dinghy goes over the side and sets into the water horizontally and also I can lift it out during the night when I am at anchor and therefore have less of a chance of losing it to folks who feel like thieving is OK.