Re: CYOA - Digest Number 8823

  • Pat Noonan
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
      The labrador current, which is cold and flowing south, meets the Gulf Stream, which is warm and flowing North, just around Hatteras.  This results in violent weather and currents and many shipwrecks.
      As a vet of hurricanes on the Gulf, there is NO predicting the path they will take.  The only advice I would give is "run soon and far".  Katrina did damage to Vicksburg far north as my son can testify.  This storm has caused blizzards in Tenn.  We can only second guess....

      Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ HD on AT&T

      columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      15 New Messages

      Digest #8823

      Messages

      Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:59 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "CJE" poodleheadmikey

      His question was rhetorical Jim.

      stephen
      ------------ -

      On Oct 31, 2012, at 3:28 PM, Jim Muri wrote:

      They were on their way from Connecticut to St. Petersburg, FL to winter over. They sank south of Cape Hatteras. They were not going north.

      James R. Muri

      Novelist, Sailor
      BUY: My e-Novels at http://blizzardguy. com/venture/
      SITE: http://blizzardguy. com

      s/v Wind Singer

      Redwood City, Ca.

      37� 35� 14.32� N

      122� 18� 58.89� W

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
        As I have often said; I am always thankful that I live in such a boring area. Apparently it is the Garden Spot of The Garden State. Nothing bad ever happens here. No tornadoes, no floods, no hurricanes, no mudslides, no earthquakes, and hardly any lightning.

        So the idea of buying a house in Florida has made me pause to think to myself: What the hell is wrong with you boy? Have you become stupid or what? <g>

        Here the 'rabbit in the woods' method always seems to work. But maybe in Florida, as you say: 'the deer in the woods' method makes more sense?

        Maybe the best Florida-Method is to build with steel reinforced concrete, bolt everything down securely, bolt everything together, and so make the house essentially bomb-proof?

        stephen

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
          Beach-front cabana on 30-foot high concrete pilings.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
            Stephen,
            If support posts/pilings are used they should go to and connect to the roof or second story if a 2 story house. You want to ask if you are in a velocity zone and build accordingly. I am not in one but near me is a velocity zone and the requirement is 150 MPH....Think about that construction and insurance. I have a friend with a rental at Tybee (beach on the island). Her insurance is through Lloyds...no one else would write it or was way higher than Lloyds. Many companies will not write in Florida....Also ask about flood insurance, that is a separate policy and through the US gov. The 2 policies can amount to a lot of money and is required by the lender unless the property is a cash deal....then you are on your own. Dan

            To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
            From: irumrj@...
            Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 09:27:09 -0700
            Subject: Re: how to come through OK - CYOA - Digest Number 8823