Re: this is the problem - CYOA - 26 classic for sail

  • CJE
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
      I think they said it was sitting for most of two years.

      stephen
      ----------

      On Oct 2, 2012, at 11:17 AM, David Morgan wrote:

      Stephen

      Advertised at 10k and sold 1.9?

      That's quite a drop in price......... Do you know how long it had been offered?

      David
      Bremerton, WA
      1968 C-22 #1109
      "Eaglet"
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
        So the Pearson that the seller was asking $10k for....sold for just under $2k?

        I guess maybe I should just put a "free" sign on my 1964 Col26....   "free" no need to call me, just tow it off....LOL

        Garrick

        ---------------

        jhnblngr wrote:

        craigslist $800. - http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3308837625.html

        ====================================

      • Alan Miller
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
          Depends on location, condition, if its a bargin and if someone wants a C26 that has money.

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
            I have a C26 MKI that I would sell for less than 14 grand.  Then again I'd need to find the buyer who understands the quality and upgrades vs. another boat.

            Maybe I'm crazy, but...

            Lance

            jhnblngr wrote:

            craigslist $800. - http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3308837625.html

            ====================================

            ---
            Lance Como
            Como Consortium Ltd. WorldWide
            2933 Quail Avenue North
            Golden Valley, MN 55422
            USA

            763.521.5276    Office
            763.234.8008    Mobile
            612.677.3277    Fax
            800 730.6824    Toll-Free

            lance@...   E-mail
            lancecomo@...   International E-mail
            http://www.comoltd.com   Website

          • CJE
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
              My point was not trying to disparage Columbia's, or their sellers - it was only to mention the fact that many fine and well equipped boats can be had for virtually nothing these days. Which makes the idea of doing a project-boat over for yourself imprudent at best.

              BTW: I know the Pearson story is true because I am the new owner.

              stephen
              ----------

              On 10/2/2012 6:38 AM, CJE wrote:

              > Compare this classic boat, which just sold a month ago for $1900, with the one you posted.
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/9qss6hj
              >
              > stephen
              > ---------------
              >
              > jhnblngr wrote:
              >
              > craigslist $800. - http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3308837625.html
              >
              > ====================================
            • Mike Allison
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                On 10/02/2012 11:57 PM, CJE wrote:

                My point was not trying to disparage Columbia's, or their sellers - it was only to mention the fact that many fine and well equipped boats can be had for virtually nothing these days.  Which makes the idea of doing a project-boat over for yourself imprudent at best.

                BTW:  I know the Pearson story is true because I am the new owner.

                stephen
                ----------

                For some a project boat may very well be imprudent, but for others it may not be. If you don't have a few grand in your pocket then a project boat can let you get a boat and spread the cost over several years. It also can let you end up with a custom boat built to a special use or goal. That is not to say that every boat would be worth hauling home.

                Each skipper needs to really think it over first. Things like how much are they willing to put into the boat, if the boat needs 3 grand worth of equipment but you will need to spread that over more than a year or so, then the 3 grand may very well end up being 4 or 5 grand.
                They also need to look at how much of the work they can do and how much work will need to be farmed out. Farming out work can really drive the cost way up fast.
                They should also really look at if a fully custom boat going to be worth the time and money. For many, most likely not, but for others maybe.

                Mike Allison... (North of Kansas City Mo. USA)
              • CJE
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                  Another thing to consider is the case of my friend. He loves working on motorcycles - but riding them? Not so much. So yes; he does ride on occasion, but mostly he has 'something that he has to do to the bike' first. <g>

                  Steinbeck had his character Henri carry on building a boat for seven years. The seven years because every time he nearly finishes the boat, he changes his mind about the result he wants, and starts over again. This seems superficially like a failure of laziness or indecisiveness or perhaps ineptitude. But it's not -

                  "suppose he finishes his boat. Once it's finished people will say, 'Why don't you put it in the water?' Then if he puts it in the water, he'll have to go out in it, and he hates the water. So you see; he never finishes the boat - so he doesn't ever have to launch it."

                  Steinbeck's "hates the water" is perhaps hyperbolically strong - my own take on it is that Henri enjoys building the boat. All the rest he doesn't care about. And 'so what?' I say. And of course also think that we should all say the same thing. <g>

                  I don't know the segue but writing that reminds me that fairly recently I was out in front of my house and some new neighbors came walking by and asked (among other things) when I was going to paint it. I laughed and side-stepped but later the discussion wandered to edging, and timely-lawn-mowing, and so forth, and eventually the talk got a little heated. In the end I solved the problem by forbidding them both to ever look at my house and property again. "From now on when you walk by - you are to look across the street and Never at my house. In fact; I forbid you to ever look at my house again. I mean it! Look over there from now on!" I guess they are doing it although I have never seen them around since then. <g>

                  There is always something for everybody - and mine doesn't have to agree with yours. I like to sail and work on the boats in order to keep doing so. But if nothing ever went wrong and no maintenance was ever required - I would be perfectly happy with that. <g>

                  Do whatever makes you the happiest and go about it in the way that makes you the happiest. That's what I do. And that is the personal perspective from which came the idea of buying quality for cheap - rather than building/rebuilding. I can do the work and have done it all before. I have the tools, the time, and the talent to make it happen. And if 'working on the boat' was my primary goal - I would do it. But my primary goal is to sail the boat. <g>

                  stephen
                  -----------

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                    Deeeeeeep!

> [...]

                    let you get a boat and spread the cost over several years. It also can let
                    you end up with a custom boat built to a special use or goal. That is not to
                    say that every boat would be worth hauling home.

                    Each skipper needs to really think it over first. Things like how much are
                    they willing to put into the boat, if the boat needs 3 grand worth of
                    equipment but you will need to spread that over more than a year or so, then
                    the 3 grand may very well end up being 4 or 5 grand.
                    They also need to look at how much of the work they can do and how much work
                    will need to be farmed out. Farming out work can really drive the cost way
                    up fast.
                    They should also really look at if a fully custom boat going to be worth the
                    time and money. For many, most likely not, but for others maybe.

                    Mike Allison... (North of Kansas City Mo. USA)

                    Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
                    http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

                    Home:
                    http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/