26 classic for sail

  • jhnblngr
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
    • CJE
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
        Compare this classic boat, which just sold a month ago for $1900, with the one you posted.

        http://tinyurl.com/9qss6hj

        stephen
        ---------------

        jhnblngr wrote:

        craigslist $800. - http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3308837625.html

        ====================================
      • Chris Guldi
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
          yes there are a lot of boats for sale that I wouldn't take if the owner was giving away. This one you linked to is probably the right price.

          I know my dad's 1981 30' Oday was lingering with a boat broker at $15k and the broker fought the previous owner on a reduction. The owner cancelled the listing and sold it to my dad for $5k. The boat was pristine.

          --
          Chris Guldi

        • David Morgan
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
            Stephen

            Advertised at 10k and sold 1.9?

            That's quite a drop in price.........  Do you know how long it had been offered?

            David
            Bremerton, WA
            1968 C-22 #1109
            "Eaglet"

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                So the Pearson that the seller was asking $10k for....sold for just under $2k?

                I guess maybe I should just put a "free" sign on my 1964 Col26....   "free" no need to call me, just tow it off....LOL

                Garrick

                jhnblngr wrote:

                craigslist $800. - http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3308837625.html

                ====================================

              • Alan Miller
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Depends on location, condition, if its a bargin and if someone wants a C26 that has money.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                    I have a C26 MKI that I would sell for less than 14 grand.  Then again I'd need to find the buyer who understands the quality and upgrades vs. another boat.

                    Maybe I'm crazy, but...

                    Lance

                    jhnblngr wrote:

                    craigslist $800. - http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3308837625.html

                    ====================================

                    ---
                    Lance Como
                    Como Consortium Ltd. WorldWide
                    2933 Quail Avenue North
                    Golden Valley, MN 55422
                    USA

                    763.521.5276    Office
                    763.234.8008    Mobile
                    612.677.3277    Fax
                    800 730.6824    Toll-Free

                    lance@...   E-mail
                    lancecomo@...   International E-mail
                    http://www.comoltd.com   Website

                  • CJE
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2012
                      My point was not trying to disparage Columbia's, or their sellers - it was only to mention the fact that many fine and well equipped boats can be had for virtually nothing these days. Which makes the idea of doing a project-boat over for yourself imprudent at best.

                      BTW: I know the Pearson story is true because I am the new owner.

                      stephen
                      ----------

                      On 10/2/2012 6:38 AM, CJE wrote:

                      > Compare this classic boat, which just sold a month ago for $1900, with the one you posted.
                      >
                      > http://tinyurl.com/9qss6hj
                      >
                      > stephen
                      > ---------------
                      >
                      > jhnblngr wrote:
                      >
                      > craigslist $800. - http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3308837625.html
                      >
                      > ====================================
                    • Mike Allison
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                        On 10/02/2012 11:57 PM, CJE wrote:

                        My point was not trying to disparage Columbia's, or their sellers - it was only to mention the fact that many fine and well equipped boats can be had for virtually nothing these days.  Which makes the idea of doing a project-boat over for yourself imprudent at best.

                        BTW:  I know the Pearson story is true because I am the new owner.

                        stephen
                        ----------

                        For some a project boat may very well be imprudent, but for others it may not be. If you don't have a few grand in your pocket then a project boat can let you get a boat and spread the cost over several years. It also can let you end up with a custom boat built to a special use or goal. That is not to say that every boat would be worth hauling home.

                        Each skipper needs to really think it over first. Things like how much are they willing to put into the boat, if the boat needs 3 grand worth of equipment but you will need to spread that over more than a year or so, then the 3 grand may very well end up being 4 or 5 grand.
                        They also need to look at how much of the work they can do and how much work will need to be farmed out. Farming out work can really drive the cost way up fast.
                        They should also really look at if a fully custom boat going to be worth the time and money. For many, most likely not, but for others maybe.

                        Mike Allison... (North of Kansas City Mo. USA)
                      • CJE
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                          Another thing to consider is the case of my friend. He loves working on motorcycles - but riding them? Not so much. So yes; he does ride on occasion, but mostly he has 'something that he has to do to the bike' first. <g>

                          Steinbeck had his character Henri carry on building a boat for seven years. The seven years because every time he nearly finishes the boat, he changes his mind about the result he wants, and starts over again. This seems superficially like a failure of laziness or indecisiveness or perhaps ineptitude. But it's not -

                          "suppose he finishes his boat. Once it's finished people will say, 'Why don't you put it in the water?' Then if he puts it in the water, he'll have to go out in it, and he hates the water. So you see; he never finishes the boat - so he doesn't ever have to launch it."

                          Steinbeck's "hates the water" is perhaps hyperbolically strong - my own take on it is that Henri enjoys building the boat. All the rest he doesn't care about. And 'so what?' I say. And of course also think that we should all say the same thing. <g>

                          I don't know the segue but writing that reminds me that fairly recently I was out in front of my house and some new neighbors came walking by and asked (among other things) when I was going to paint it. I laughed and side-stepped but later the discussion wandered to edging, and timely-lawn-mowing, and so forth, and eventually the talk got a little heated. In the end I solved the problem by forbidding them both to ever look at my house and property again. "From now on when you walk by - you are to look across the street and Never at my house. In fact; I forbid you to ever look at my house again. I mean it! Look over there from now on!" I guess they are doing it although I have never seen them around since then. <g>

                          There is always something for everybody - and mine doesn't have to agree with yours. I like to sail and work on the boats in order to keep doing so. But if nothing ever went wrong and no maintenance was ever required - I would be perfectly happy with that. <g>

                          Do whatever makes you the happiest and go about it in the way that makes you the happiest. That's what I do. And that is the personal perspective from which came the idea of buying quality for cheap - rather than building/rebuilding. I can do the work and have done it all before. I have the tools, the time, and the talent to make it happen. And if 'working on the boat' was my primary goal - I would do it. But my primary goal is to sail the boat. <g>

                          stephen
                          -----------

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 3, 2012
                            Deeeeeeep!

> [...]

                            let you get a boat and spread the cost over several years. It also can let
                            you end up with a custom boat built to a special use or goal. That is not to
                            say that every boat would be worth hauling home.

                            Each skipper needs to really think it over first. Things like how much are
                            they willing to put into the boat, if the boat needs 3 grand worth of
                            equipment but you will need to spread that over more than a year or so, then
                            the 3 grand may very well end up being 4 or 5 grand.
                            They also need to look at how much of the work they can do and how much work
                            will need to be farmed out. Farming out work can really drive the cost way
                            up fast.
                            They should also really look at if a fully custom boat going to be worth the
                            time and money. For many, most likely not, but for others maybe.

                            Mike Allison... (North of Kansas City Mo. USA)

                            Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
                            http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

                            Home:
                            http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/