Re: Atomic 4 Replacement

  • Mike Gunning
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
      I have a Gray Marine gas motor that is in very good running condition. We took it in trade for one of our electric systems. There is also an old Volvo D2 that I know of but it is from the 1960s rebuilt and runs well. Located in Southern California if you are interested. We are in Europe now but will be back in California on Oct 10.
      Mike
      Electric Yachts of Southern California

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, larrymcphee@... wrote:

      > Hello. Looking to possibly replace my atomic 4 with a kubota diesel. Most dealers want $5000 I really can't afford or justify spending that kind of money. Just wondering if anyone out there has a beta 20 for sale or knows of one. To fit into a Columbia 8.3. Thanks

    • CJE
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
        Where in the world are you Larry?

        stephen
        -----------

      • larrymcphee@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
          Thank you for the replies. My atomic 4 is working for now but I do worry about gas fumes even though I use the exhaust fans. Just thought the diesel kubota would be ideal if I could get a used one. I live in Canada close to Ottawa, Ontario and travel to the USA frequently. Thanks

          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, CJE <cjecje1@...> wrote:

          > Where in the world are you Larry?
          >
          > stephen
          > -----------
          >

          > On Oct 1, 2012, at 4:17 AM, Mike Gunning wrote:
          >
          > I have a Gray Marine gas motor that is in very good running condition. We took it in trade for one of our electric systems. There is also an old Volvo D2 that I know of but it is from the 1960s rebuilt and runs well. Located in Southern California if you are interested. We are in Europe now but will be back in California on Oct 10.
          > Mike
          > Electric Yachts of Southern California
          >
          > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, larrymcphee@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello. Looking to possibly replace my atomic 4 with a kubota diesel. Most dealers want $5000 I really can't afford or justify spending that kind of money. Just wondering if anyone out there has a beta 20 for sale or knows of one. To fit into a Columbia 8.3. Thanks

        • niebur32
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
            IF fumes is what you are concerned of, install a sensor. I have one that detects fumes, fire and high water (in the bilge). All things you want to know about. And it definitely works: the fumes sensors went off a few times recently. I thought blow-by or evaporating oil or something but it turns out there was a pinhole in the exhaust. Am fixing that right now (all new exhaust).

            The whole thing was less than 100.-

            --Ernst

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012

              Could you send me the link where you got it or just where you got it, please? Thanks Ernst!

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
                Sorry, it has been there for many years, don't recall where I got it. Some online chandlery. I can look up the manufacturer when I am at the boat the next time, probably the weekend. But I remember there were only very few alternatives. If you want a faster reply, I recommend google.

                --Ernst

                --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

                > Could you send me the link where you got it or just where you got it,
                > please? Thanks Ernst!

              • columbiac36
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                  i have marinized several kubotas, the hardest part to find used is the bell housing, the most common size for small engines is the SAE#5, they are availlable new from kubota tractor / industrial dealers but pricey. several companies make marine manifolds, in many early models i built my own water cooled manifold out of stainless but found a price effective alternative in england, a manifold with integral heat exchanger. just got one for a kubota V2203 (48hp at 3000 ) and it cost about $750 shipped. the tranny bell housing adapter is a stock off the shelf item. used kubotas can easily be found for under $1200 for almost any model. trying to buy conversion parts from beta or nani is exorbitant, a manifold is well over $2000 from either one. complete used marine diesels are out there, older universals can be had for a reasonable price, its probably your best bet. besides better fuel efficiency you will also get a much more efficient system. the atomic 4 in most applications does not have a reduction gear, any marine diesel will have a 2:1 reduction or better.
                  eric

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 4, 2012
                    What is the benefit to having a reduction gear?

                    stephen
                    ----------

                    On Oct 3, 2012, at 11:53 PM, columbiac36 wrote:

                    . . . . the atomic 4 in most applications does not have a reduction gear, any marine diesel will have a 2:1 reduction or better.

                    eric
                    ==========
                  • Mike Allison
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 4, 2012
                      On 10/04/2012 06:36 AM, CJE wrote:

                      What is the benefit to having a reduction gear?

                      stephen

                      The reduction gear will let you turn a larger prop with more pitch at a lower RPM. Lower RPMs, less ware on the engine and less slippage on the prop.

                      Mike Allison... (North of Kansas City Mo. USA)

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 4, 2012
                        Reciprocating internal combustion engines run most efficiently at a certain RPM. Diesels are especially happy running within a certain RPM range. The propeller is most efficient at a certain RPM for a given pitch and hull speed. Most boats are set up so the ideal pitch efficiency matches the theoretical maximum hull speed. The reduction gear helps match the ideal engine RPM to the ideal propeller RPM. If water were not so squirrely, one could get a propeller pitch to match the engine RPM without a reduction gear. but this gets into propeller RPM ranges where turbulence from one blade interferes with the next blade and, also, cavitation issues arise. Believe it or not, the most efficient propeller is a single blade prop, but they do not balance.

                      • welshman@ptialaska.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 4, 2012
                          Eric

                          I know this stuff is easy for you, the rest of us need a little more help. I am not
                          afraid to tackle rebuilding an engine if I have the manual, but I need parts. If I
                          have to start making pieces then I a in over my head.

                          Could you find the time to put together a tutorial on build up a DIY small diesel
                          conversion. The GlenL book on Inboard engine installation has all you need to
                          convert Detroit Iron gas but here isn't much out there on small diesel conversion.

                          Things like specific parts sources for manifolds and how to hook up raw water pumps.

                          I would be happy to collaborate with you on the writing by laying the part of the
                          dumb shit in the audience who needs more info.

                          HJ

                          i have marinized several kubotas, the hardest part to find used is the bell
                          > housing, the most common size for small engines is the SAE#5, they are availlable
                          > new from kubota tractor / industrial dealers but pricey. several companies make
                          > marine manifolds, in many early models i built my own water cooled manifold out of
                          > stainless but found a price effective alternative in england, a manifold with
                          > integral heat exchanger. just got one for a kubota V2203 (48hp at 3000 ) and it
                          > cost about $750 shipped. the tranny bell housing adapter is a stock off the shelf
                          > item. used kubotas can easily be found for under $1200 for almost any model.
                          > trying to buy conversion parts from beta or nani is exorbitant, a manifold is well
                          > over $2000 from either one. complete used marine diesels are out there, older
                          > universals can be had for a reasonable price, its probably your best bet. besides
                          > better fuel efficiency you will also get a much more efficient system. the atomic 4
                          > in most applications does not have a reduction gear, any marine diesel will have a
                          > 2:1 reduction or better.
                          > eric
                          >
                          > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, larrymcphee@... wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Hello. Looking to possibly replace my atomic 4 with a kubota diesel. Most
                          >> dealers want $5000 I really can't afford or justify spending that kind of
                          >> money. Just wondering if anyone out there has a beta 20 for sale or knows of
                          >> one. To fit into a Columbia 8.3. Thanks

                        • larrymcphee
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 4, 2012
                            A tutorial sure would be a great piece of information for those who would like to convert to marine diesel. I for one would like to see it.
                            Larry
                            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, welshman@... wrote:

                            > Eric
                            >
                            > I know this stuff is easy for you, the rest of us need a little more help. I am not
                            > afraid to tackle rebuilding an engine if I have the manual, but I need parts. If I
                            > have to start making pieces then I a in over my head.
                            >
                            > Could you find the time to put together a tutorial on build up a DIY small diesel
                            > conversion. The GlenL book on Inboard engine installation has all you need to
                            > convert Detroit Iron gas but here isn't much out there on small diesel conversion.
                            >
                            > Things like specific parts sources for manifolds and how to hook up raw water pumps.
                            >
                            > I would be happy to collaborate with you on the writing by laying the part of the
                            > dumb shit in the audience who needs more info.
                            >
                            > HJ
                            >
                            > i have marinized several kubotas, the hardest part to find used is the bell
                            > > housing, the most common size for small engines is the SAE#5, they are availlable
                            > > new from kubota tractor / industrial dealers but pricey. several companies make
                            > > marine manifolds, in many early models i built my own water cooled manifold out of
                            > > stainless but found a price effective alternative in england, a manifold with
                            > > integral heat exchanger. just got one for a kubota V2203 (48hp at 3000 ) and it
                            > > cost about $750 shipped. the tranny bell housing adapter is a stock off the shelf
                            > > item. used kubotas can easily be found for under $1200 for almost any model.
                            > > trying to buy conversion parts from beta or nani is exorbitant, a manifold is well
                            > > over $2000 from either one. complete used marine diesels are out there, older
                            > > universals can be had for a reasonable price, its probably your best bet. besides
                            > > better fuel efficiency you will also get a much more efficient system. the atomic 4
                            > > in most applications does not have a reduction gear, any marine diesel will have a
                            > > 2:1 reduction or better.
                            > > eric
                            > >
                            > > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, larrymcphee@ wrote:
                            > >>
                            > >> Hello. Looking to possibly replace my atomic 4 with a kubota diesel. Most
                            > >> dealers want $5000 I really can't afford or justify spending that kind of
                            > >> money. Just wondering if anyone out there has a beta 20 for sale or knows of
                            > >> one. To fit into a Columbia 8.3. Thanks
                            > >>

                            > > ------------------------------------
                            > >
                            > > Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
                            > > http://www.columbia-yachts.com/
                            > >
                            > > Home:
                            > > http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

                          • stevenagaber
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 5, 2012
                              Jim:

                              As Harry said, the Glen L book has some useful stuff, but not much on Diesels. There are some other books on small Diesels and how they work, but not a lot on replacements.

                              Just ask me. I'll tell you everything you wanna know with as little bias as I can. :>) I could relate the saga of Sanderling's engine difficulties before I discovered Beta Marine.

                              We have talked a few Columbia owners through their installations.

                              Steve Gaber
                              Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77
                              Oldsmar, FL

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 5, 2012
                                I mispoke. I said Jim when I meant to say Larry. Twice. My apologies.

                                Steve Gaber
                                Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77
                                Oldsmar, FL

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 5, 2012
                                  Thanks Steve for the reply. I missed your email but I've sent you one now. Thanks again for the replies.

                                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Steven" <gabersa@...> wrote:

                                  > I mispoke. I said Jim when I meant to say Larry. Twice. My apologies.
                                  >
                                  > Steve Gaber
                                  > Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77
                                  > Oldsmar, FL
                                  >
                                  > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "stevenagaber" <gabersa@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Jim:
                                  > >
                                  > > As Harry said, the Glen L book has some useful stuff, but not much on Diesels. There are some other books on small Diesels and how they work, but not a lot on replacements.
                                  > >
                                  > > Just ask me. I'll tell you everything you wanna know with as little bias as I can. :>) I could relate the saga of Sanderling's engine difficulties before I discovered Beta Marine.
                                  > >
                                  > > We have talked a few Columbia owners through their installations.
                                  > >
                                  > > Steve Gaber
                                  > > Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77
                                  > > Oldsmar, FL
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "larrymcphee" <larrymcphee@> wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > A tutorial sure would be a great piece of information for those who would like to convert to marine diesel. I for one would like to see it.
                                  > > > Larry

                                • columbiac36
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 6, 2012
                                    just imagine using your hand to paddle a canoe or a real paddle, you would have to move your hand 4 times faster to move the same amount of water. for a displacement hull, the bigger the prop and the slower it turns the more efficient it is. its a balance for a sailboat as you also have to consider drag under sail, that is why most manufacturers go with a 2:1 ratio as the best compromise. a feathering prop solves the problem of drag under sail but is an expensive solution.