Sailing out of an Upwind Slip Without an Engine - AGAIN!!!

  • prepaydlegalast
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
      Ever do that - with a good wind blowing in your face and the engine suddenly decides to not work!!! LOL!

      "So here I would go again - sailing without an engine! One big problem though: it was a downwind slip and how to get the boat out? I began formulating a plan to kayak out to the opposite dock on the upwind side, tie a rope on the dock cleat and then kayak back, attach the boat to the line and pull the boat out. Putting up the sails, I would then let go of the lines holding the boat to the dock and sail out..." Read the rest at http://sailingwithalbie.blogspot.com

      ~Albie
      Columbia 22

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
          My engine has not always been reliable. In the early 80's I had downwind slips in Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles. If the boat is in the slip stern out you have to push the boat out using a long line tied to the stern, I usually used the main sheet, then pull the stern into the slip. Now the the boat is bow out, rig it, usually I did just the main, then push it out and turn the boat towards the channel. Hopefully you will be on a beam reach. My boat is a C26 MkI and was always easy for me to launch from the slip by myself.

          Alan Miller
          Tempest

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
            One summer I kept the C8.7 at Little Sabine in Pensacola Beach. If you've ever been in there you know there is a nice little cove that is 95% taken up by a very large sand bar. The channel runs in at a bridge and between another very expansive sand bar. Width all the way in is no more than about 8-20 feet. The interesting thing was that the motor would always start when I was ready to go out but would not start when I was ready to go back in. So I spent the summer leaning how to sail into the slip. At first the fellows on the pier would race down to help me but after a while they quit, thinking I suppose that I was doing it on purpose.

            I had the solenoid rebuilt, the alternator rebuilt, the wiring rerun, the starter replaced.... all to no avail. Another mechanic finally fixed the problem. It was the solenoid. Of course I would never use the first mechanic or rec. him ever again.

            All in all though it was a fun summer and I really learned to handle the boat without the motor in a very tight place.

            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Alan Miller <cbuzzyb@...> wrote:

            > My engine has not always been reliable. In the early 80's I had downwind slips in Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles. If the boat is in the slip stern out you have to push the boat out using a long line tied to the stern, I usually used the main sheet, then pull the stern into the slip. Now the the boat is bow out, rig it, usually I did just the main, then push it out and turn the boat towards the channel. Hopefully you will be on a beam reach. My boat is a C26 MkI and was always easy for me to launch from the slip by myself.
            >
            > Alan Miller
            > Tempest
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
              Yea, I hoist the sails and then grab hold of the shrouds and walk it foeward as fast as I can and hop on board at the end of the slip. Keel boats usually carry pretty well.

              HJ

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                That's fantastic Alan!!! Sailing without an engine is a real pain sometimes but the experience you learn from it is INVALUABLE!! I totally agree with you - thanks for sharing that awesome story :-) I hope you get to read the whole story on my blog as its really crazy and I think you'll get a kick out of how I got out of my slip!!! Oh by the way, Alan, can I share your story on my blog?

                ~Albie
                Columbia 22

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                  HJ - Great advice!!! Thanks, I will definately try that!!!! Definately a step up from what I did! You have to read my crazy story - it will make you laugh!!!

                  ~Albie
                  Columbia 22

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                    Wow Alan, awesome advice as well!! Man, I'm glad I posted this subject. You guys have had some incredible advice!! I may be sailing that same boat this coming weekend and I will totally give that a shot. THANK YOU!!! (PS: I hope you don't mind if I add your comment to my blog?!)

                    ~Albie
                    Columbia 22

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                      go ahead.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                        Alan, I'm just curious. Do you still have a slip in Marina Del Rey? My Columbia 22 is currently in MDR and I enjoy having it here. :-)

                        ~Albie
                        Columbia 22

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                          Thanks Alan!

                          ~Albie
                          Columbia 22

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                            Not any more, I'm in San Diego on a mooring.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                              Oh NICE! I love San Diego. We have family down there and go down quite often! I sailed down to Mission Beach and anchored there for three nights :) It was SUPER! I have a friend down in Mission Beach too that lets me sail his boat when I fix something on it! lol! He also is on a mooring. Man, I bet the price of a mooring is better than a slip fee - eh??

                              ~Albie
                              Columbia 22