Re: CYOA - Re: Old spinnaker pole

  • Ray Green
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012
      Jess
      Thought you were making a potato cannon out of your pole.
      Ray

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012

        Oh man, that would be one hell of a potato gun. Twelve feet long and two and a half inches long. More like a small gourd cannon. Anyway, I don’t think the cops would like it very much around here. I found that out when I tested my pulse jet that I made. Set it off and had every neighbor for half a mile complaining. He didn’t like the complaints but he stood there and we had a really good take about the makeup. Come to find out that he was making a ram jet for his large model plane. We had a good laugh about all the complaints. I don’t think he would feel the same about a huge “BOOM”. <BG>

        Jesse Doyle

        1971 Columbia 28'

        s/v Wind Singer

        S.F. Bay Area

        Redwood City, Ca.

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012
          You gotta tell me more about this. How to hook things up and how to control
          things.

          Jesse Doyle
          1971 Columbia 28'
          s/v Wind Singer
          S.F. Bay Area
          Redwood City, Ca.

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012
            There's a way to pole out two large genoa's or jibs - one on each side of the boat. I hardly ever do it because its a lot of work for what?! But it sounded fun the first time I heard it - so I tried it!! Anyway, I don't know a lot about spinnakers - so there's my two cents!! lol!

            ~Albie
            Columbia 22
            http://sailingwithalbie.blogspot.com

          • aguazul7
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012
              Wow, what a coincidence. I recently got an old spinnaker pole from a friend which he thought I may want to use in some fashion for my C-28. I am planning on configuring it for use as a whisker pole to try it when I can sail wing on wing going "downhill"! I don't know all the whats or ifs about any of this, I just thought it would be fun to try it.
              Ed
              C-28
              Berkeley, CA

              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "WindSinger" <jess81452@...> wrote:

              > I've got an old two and a half inch spinnaker pole without the ends. Can't sell it so I'd like to find a use for it on my C-28. Anyone have any ideas?
              > Jess
              > C-28
              > Redwood City, Ca.

            • sv Compass Rose
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012
                check the marine consigment stores for a match.

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012

                  A match for what. Already got the pole. Not gonna use it as a spinnaker pole. Not gonna use a spinnaker. Just trying to figure out what else I can use it for on the boat.

                  Jesse Doyle

                  1971 Columbia 28'

                  s/v Wind Singer

                  S.F. Bay Area

                  Redwood City, Ca.

                  check the marine consigment stores for a match.

                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

                  > Don't know about that. Would have to do some research and see exactly how it
                  > would be used in that configuration. I wouldn't want to get out there
                  > without knowing what to do and really screw up. I mean more than I usually
                  > do.
                  >
                  > Jesse Doyle
                  > 1971 Columbia 28'
                  > s/v Wind Singer
                  > S.F. Bay Area
                  > Redwood City, Ca.

                • svdawntreader
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012
                    Poling out the large genny on the leeward side and smaller one on the windward side. As you HANK ON the sails, alternate the hanks. UP they go. Cross the ocean type of arrangement. Did it many times a s a kid doing deliveries. Wind picks up, it may tend to drive the bow into any decent wave action. But that is what standing watch is all about. Cutter rigs can do something of the same very effectively.
                    Or just get a cruising chute, MAinster, and a few cases of Mountain Dew. Chill out and relax, you'll make landfall someday!

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 1, 2012
                      Jess, when I come by, if you still got it I will take it off your hands in exchange for a dinner cruise aboard.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 2, 2012

                        Dinner cruise, huh! Does that mean you’re in the bay area. Maybe I could convince the girlfriend to make you some of her great Syrian food. That is if you like Arabic type food! No guys she’s not immediately from there! She’s third generation Syrian-British. Although she does have her grandmas hand written cook book. Dam good food if you like lamb. She makes it for me with beef cause I can’t eat lamb. But I’m sure she might set the table for you. That is if you can stand remodel mess. <BG> I’d better check with her before I commit thou. She’s kinda feisty at her age. 66 and counting.

                        Jesse Doyle

                        1971 Columbia 28'

                        s/v Wind Singer

                        S.F. Bay Area

                        Redwood City, Ca.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 2, 2012
                          Not down there yet. And tell her tehe lamb or goat would be excellent. Camel? Well, not too bad either.
                          As I make my way down the coast I figure to sponge off anybody that will answer my phone calls... That is if they can read my typing.
                          Got my fingers crossed for a quick sale. It is listed for $10K less than max market. It shows much higher. ot just me saying it, others who have seen it also say it. I used to remod big$ stuff, Private and Commercial. Remod mess is what I grew up in, and will probably die in IF I ever hhave to come back to land...

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 3, 2012
                            Jesse, Maybe you can make your own beer cans? Heck, why not just make it one big beer can out of the pole. Put a pop top on one end and a bottom on the other. Mess with peoples' minds; it's good for them. (Also learn to duck, Some folks have had their sense of humor removed).

                                   Los Lunas, NM.

                            >A match for what. Already got the pole. Not gonna use it as a spinnaker
                            >pole. Not gonna use a spinnaker. Just trying to figure out what else I can
                            >use it for on the boat.
                            >

                            >Jesse Doyle
                            >
                            >1971 Columbia 28'
                            >
                            >s/ v Wind Singer
                            >
                            >S.F. Bay Area
                            >
                            >Redwood City, Ca.

                          • CJE
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 3, 2012
                              Syrian eh? Ask her what shireen means. <g>

                              Why can't you eat lamb?

                              stephen
                              ----------

                              ==============
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 3, 2012

                                Too much fur in my mouth

                                Jesse Doyle

                                1971 Columbia 28'

                                s/v Wind Singer

                                S.F. Bay Area

                                Redwood City, Ca.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 3, 2012
                                  Speaking of surgical procedures Bruce; that one you mention is more properly termed a humorectomy. Unfortunately one of the subsequent side-effects following that particular procedure is that it very frequently leads to the patient then developing a rectacranial inversion. Sometimes, in the coarser neighborhoods, this affliction is colloquialistically described as having one's head up one's ass.

                                  stephen
                                  ----------

                                  On Mar 3, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:

                                  Jesse, Maybe you can make your own beer cans? Heck, why not just make it one big beer can out of the pole. Put a pop top on one end and a bottom on the other. Mess with peoples' minds; it's good for them. (Also learn to duck, Some folks have had their sense of humor removed).

                                  Los Lunas, NM.

                                  > >A match for what. Already got the pole. Not gonna use it as a spinnaker
                                  > >pole. Not gonna use a spinnaker. Just trying to figure out what else I can
                                  > >use it for on the boat.
                                  > >

                                  > >Jesse Doyle
                                  > >
                                  > >1971 Columbia 28'
                                  > >
                                  > >s/ v Wind Singer
                                  > >
                                  > >S.F. Bay Area
                                  > >
                                  > >Redwood City, Ca.

                                • svdawntreader
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 3, 2012
                                    I have SO MUCH I could say about this one, but I will definately just sit here and chuckle for a while.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 3, 2012
                                      Steady there boy. This is a G rated site. Not one word about flossing.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 3, 2012
                                        I am hoping that Someone will say some thing in explanation as I still don't know what it means or why it would preclude the consumption of yummy lambs.

                                        Oh wait! Damn! The lamb hair! <g> Sometimes it Takes me a while! <g>

                                        I guess they do it differently in California. Here we skin them out like a goat or deer and the wool goes with the skin. <g>

                                        stephen