Re: CYOA - columbia 29 sail shape

  • YanniLetsgosailing
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2012
      On 01/02/2012 6:17 PM, Lance Como wrote:
      > My gut feeling is your most efficient heel would be around 20 degrees
      > max.... the video looks fine to me.
      >

      > On Feb 1, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Floent Boico wrote:
      >

      >> Ok, thanks,
      >>
      >> Here's an old video in a quieter part of the bay with a reefed main
      >> and a jib (90% I believe):
      >>
      >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz2ySI2uT2I&feature=related
      >>
      >> - Should I really be heeling much more than this? I mean, I don't
      >> want to impress people with the heeling angle, I just want to sail
      >> efficiently and safely. I feel like too much would put unnecessary
      >> stress on an old boat and eventually send someone overboard.
      >> - To add a cuningham on a reefed sail wouldn't that mean I need to
      >> add padeyes to my sails above the reefing eyes at the tack of the
      >> sail?
      >> - When the sail is reefed, isn't the reefing line becoming in effect
      >> my outhaul?
      >> - Wouldn't moving the traveler to leeward bring the sheet angle
      >> towards the vertical, therefore pulling the boom a little lower and
      >> making the sail flatter (when sailing close reach/haul only)?
      >>
      >> Florent

      Florent, you don't really need to heel to be efficient. The lesser the heel
      the more efficient the sail. When you move the traveler to the center
      you can still have the
      main sheeted out. If you reef the main you don't need cuningham, you
      just use the boomvang
      to hold the boom down as possible and and use the wind to flow, not to
      heel. Therefore when you
      are on a second reef you have enough wind to give you speed by letting
      it go out the middle of the
      leach. The higher the wind flows out of the sale (such as heeling hard)
      the less SOG you get
      and the boat looses leeward because your keel is in an extreme angle.

      --

      Yanni@ Service
      Pisces Marine

      S/V Princess Thalia