Re: CYOA - Heat exchanger

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      Do you mean can you procure a heat exchanger or does it come with one?
      The 2qm15 is a raw water cooled engine. It would be a major job to
      customize an exchanger for it. Check the zincs and flush it for winter
      storage.

      HJ

      On 2/1/2012 3:46 PM, svadvent28 wrote:
      > I have a 1978 Columbia 8.8, recent purchase. Has a Yanmar 2QM 15,
      > QUESTION: is there a heat exchanger on this engine.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Rick

    • Bob K
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
        Rick,

        There could be a heat exchanger. The 2QM15 did not come with one but someone had a kit to add one. I bought my 8.7 with the Yanmar used back in 79 from the first owner who had FWC kit installed. I am still testing it but it seems good so far. I do not know who put out the kit. Seems a few of these were sold.

        Bob K
        1978 Columbia 8.7
        SASHAY
        Seattle, WA

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
          Found it or at least found one

          Sen Dure kit for the Yanmar 2QM15  part number K3030

          http://www.sen-dure.com/

          HJ

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
            If it's fresh water cooled there is a HX.

            If it's raw water cooled - there isn't.

            Which is yours?

            Mine have HX's on them.

            stephen
            ----------

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
              I knew the exchanger itself was a Sen Dur but did know the size. I always assumed a third party put the kit together with all the required claptrap to make it usefull.

              Bob K
              1978 Columbia 8.7
              SASHAY
              Seattle, WA

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
                I know they come set up for raw water but every one I have ever seen has had a a HX and a fresh water cooling system.

                In contrast to you I think it would be easy to add another water pump and a HX to pretty much any raw water cooled engine. <g> Just size the HX to fuel low rate on another FWC diesel engine.

                stephen
                ----------

                Iu
                On Feb 1, 2012, at 8:13 PM, Harry James wrote:

                Do you mean can you procure a heat exchanger or does it come with one?
                The 2qm15 is a raw water cooled engine. It would be a major job to
                customize an exchanger for it. Check the zincs and flush it for winter
                storage.

                HJ

                On 2/1/2012 3:46 PM, svadvent28 wrote:
                > I have a 1978 Columbia 8.8, recent purchase. Has a Yanmar 2QM 15,
                > QUESTION: is there a heat exchanger on this engine.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Rick

              • YanniLetsgosailing
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
                  On 01/02/2012 7:46 PM, svadvent28 wrote:
                  > I have a 1978 Columbia 8.8, recent purchase. Has a Yanmar 2QM 15,
                  > QUESTION: is there a heat exchanger on this engine.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Rick

                  Rick, your engine does not have a heat exchanger, it is a raw water cooling
                  engine. That means it pics up water to cool the engine with the raw
                  water pump
                  directly from the sea or lake wherever you happen to be.

                  --

                  Yanni@ Service
                  Pisces Marine

                  S/V Princess Thalia