Heat exchanger

  • svadvent28
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      I have a 1978 Columbia 8.8, recent purchase. Has a Yanmar 2QM 15,
      QUESTION: is there a heat exchanger on this engine.

      Thanks,
      Rick
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
        Do you mean can you procure a heat exchanger or does it come with one?
        The 2qm15 is a raw water cooled engine. It would be a major job to
        customize an exchanger for it. Check the zincs and flush it for winter
        storage.

        HJ

        On 2/1/2012 3:46 PM, svadvent28 wrote:
        > I have a 1978 Columbia 8.8, recent purchase. Has a Yanmar 2QM 15,
        > QUESTION: is there a heat exchanger on this engine.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rick

      • Bob K
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
          Rick,

          There could be a heat exchanger. The 2QM15 did not come with one but someone had a kit to add one. I bought my 8.7 with the Yanmar used back in 79 from the first owner who had FWC kit installed. I am still testing it but it seems good so far. I do not know who put out the kit. Seems a few of these were sold.

          Bob K
          1978 Columbia 8.7
          SASHAY
          Seattle, WA

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
            Found it or at least found one

            Sen Dure kit for the Yanmar 2QM15  part number K3030

            http://www.sen-dure.com/

            HJ

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
              If it's fresh water cooled there is a HX.

              If it's raw water cooled - there isn't.

              Which is yours?

              Mine have HX's on them.

              stephen
              ----------

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
                I knew the exchanger itself was a Sen Dur but did know the size. I always assumed a third party put the kit together with all the required claptrap to make it usefull.

                Bob K
                1978 Columbia 8.7
                SASHAY
                Seattle, WA

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
                  I know they come set up for raw water but every one I have ever seen has had a a HX and a fresh water cooling system.

                  In contrast to you I think it would be easy to add another water pump and a HX to pretty much any raw water cooled engine. <g> Just size the HX to fuel low rate on another FWC diesel engine.

                  stephen
                  ----------

                  Iu
                  On Feb 1, 2012, at 8:13 PM, Harry James wrote:

                  Do you mean can you procure a heat exchanger or does it come with one?
                  The 2qm15 is a raw water cooled engine. It would be a major job to
                  customize an exchanger for it. Check the zincs and flush it for winter
                  storage.

                  HJ

                  On 2/1/2012 3:46 PM, svadvent28 wrote:
                  > I have a 1978 Columbia 8.8, recent purchase. Has a Yanmar 2QM 15,
                  > QUESTION: is there a heat exchanger on this engine.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Rick

                • YanniLetsgosailing
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
                    On 01/02/2012 7:46 PM, svadvent28 wrote:
                    > I have a 1978 Columbia 8.8, recent purchase. Has a Yanmar 2QM 15,
                    > QUESTION: is there a heat exchanger on this engine.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Rick

                    Rick, your engine does not have a heat exchanger, it is a raw water cooling
                    engine. That means it pics up water to cool the engine with the raw
                    water pump
                    directly from the sea or lake wherever you happen to be.

                    --

                    Yanni@ Service
                    Pisces Marine

                    S/V Princess Thalia