Re: golf cart Motors for sailboat power

  • cmckesson2000
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
      No pics, sorry. (Although Latitude 38 ran some pics a long time ago.)

      Back when the system was 36V there was a complete thread here on this forum. It's still fundamentally correct at:

      Chris

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "jhnblngr" <jhnblngr@...> wrote:

      > have you goy any pics of this setup? is it an alternative to trolling/torquedo/electric motors?
      >
      > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jorgenson" <falcolnxp@> wrote:
      > >
      > > bought golf Cart yesterday with controller
      > >
      > > 11 hp at 2500 rpm 48V
      > >
      > > Sales person thought I might want to run on 36 volt since 7 hp is max to get hull speed on
      > > my 6 ton 30 ft colombia
      > >
      > > Need 48 V charger
      > >
      > > Comments, suggestions
      > >
      > > has anyone tried an installation with golf cart motor
      > >
      > > Capt. Bob

    • cmckesson2000
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
        Bob, the biggest challenge I had was solving the thrust bearing. I ended up retaining the old gearbox for this purpose.

        Your other choices are:
        Install a thrust bearing on its own
        Ignore it and overload the bearings in the motor.

        I don't recommend #2.

        Chris McKesson
        Genius naval architect >smile<

        www.mckesson.us

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jorgenson <falcolnxp@...> wrote:

        > 11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K
        >
        > took 22 hp out 2 months ago
        > pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)
        >
        > Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.
        >
        > 4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.
        >
        > Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;
        >
        > Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
        > any questions 435 678 3436
        >
        > Capt Bob
        >
        > Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
        > My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dream
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Chris Guldi
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
          This is great, been looking for this exactly. I have also been looking for any drawings of how the engine, reduction gear, shaft etc all go together as well. This is the first thing of this nature I have tried.

          --
          Chris Guldi

        • tmalcolm
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
            The Yahoo Group is 'Electric Boats' lots of sailboat install pics in there. My install never made it to the boat as I moved and sold my boat, but I bought the pulleys, pillow blocks and built the mount from aluminum plate. My sketch is in the photos under '8.3 Wind Gypsy'

            There are a few others in this group who have repowered electric. Google for examples of installs.

            Bianca Log Blog was fairly detailed
            http://biankablog.blogspot.com/

            BTW, a trolling motor has been tried many times and they simply won't push anything larger than a mid-sized dinghy.

            --Tim
          • Letsgosailing now
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
              This electric propulsion thing is very interesting, I thought of it long ago but
              10 mile range is nowhere near what I need when I sale the boat out of lake Ontario.
              I will need to install 5 or 6 130watt solar panels to supply juice to my batteries
              to cross the canals down to Hudson river and off to NY. I don't have the room for that.
              If it s just in and out the harbor it is fine but not long distance.

              Yanni @ Service
              Pisces Marine
              www.piscesmarine.ca
              www.onlineoutboards.ca
              Oakville Ontario
              905-827-4384

              Yanni Marinated
              S/V Princess Thalia
              Columbia 8.7 #73
              Port Dalhousie Pier Marina
              Ontario Canada

              TURBO!!!!!cause bottles are for babies and superchargers blow!!!
              Which would you rather have, go fast goodies or shiny shoes?
              Your feet may look good but if your engine blows you ain't going nowhere

              > To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
              > From: tim@...
              > Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 16:58:57 +0000
              > Subject: CYOA - Re: golf cart Motors for sailboat power
              >
              > The Yahoo Group is 'Electric Boats' lots of sailboat install pics in there. My install never made it to the boat as I moved and sold my boat, but I bought the pulleys, pillow blocks and built the mount from aluminum plate. My sketch is in the photos under '8.3 Wind Gypsy'

              > There are a few others in this group who have repowered electric. Google for examples of installs.
              >
              > Bianca Log Blog was fairly detailed
              > http://biankablog.blogspot.com/
              >

              > BTW, a trolling motor has been tried many times and they simply won't push anything larger than a mid-sized dinghy.
              >

              > --Tim

              > <*> Your email settings:
              > Individual Email | Traditional
              >
              > <*> To change settings online go to:
              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >
              > <*> To change settings via email:
              > columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
              > columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Robert Jorgenson
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                the motor is mounted parell to the axle so I cut out a 5 inch circle from the 3/4 inch horse trailer rubber matting and am making a metale plate which bolts to where the wheel rim normally bolts and 4 inch metal plate which bolts to the boat drive shaft
                thisis similar to the steering colum set up oon older cars.

                Need help

                Capt bob 435 678 3436

                --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "cmckesson2000" <cmckesson2000@...> wrote:

                > Bob, the biggest challenge I had was solving the thrust bearing. I ended up retaining the old gearbox for this purpose.
                >
                > Your other choices are:
                > Install a thrust bearing on its own
                > Ignore it and overload the bearings in the motor.
                >
                > I don't recommend #2.
                >

                > Chris McKesson
                > Genius naval architect >smile<
                >
                > www.mckesson.us
                >

                > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jorgenson <falcolnxp@> wrote:
                > >
                > > 11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K
                > >
                > > took 22 hp out 2 months ago
                > > pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)
                > >
                > > Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.
                > >
                > > 4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.
                > >
                > > Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;
                > >
                > > Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
                > > any questions 435 678 3436
                > >
                > > Capt Bob
                > >
                > > Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
                > > My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dream
                > >

                > > ________________________________

              • Colin Dykes
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM THIS GROUP_ THIS IS PROBABLY MY TENTH SUCH REQUEST _ IS ANYBODY LISTENING?

                  Bob, the biggest challenge I had was solving the thrust bearing. I ended up retaining the old gearbox for this purpose.

                  Your other choices are:
                  Install a thrust bearing on its own
                  Ignore it and overload the bearings in the motor.

                  I don't recommend #2.

                  Chris McKesson
                  Genius naval architect >smile<

                  www.mckesson.us

                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jorgenson <falcolnxp@...> wrote:

                  > 11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K
                  >
                  > took 22 hp out 2 months ago
                  > pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)
                  >
                  > Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.
                  >
                  > 4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.
                  >
                  > Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;
                  >
                  > Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
                  > any questions 435 678 3436
                  >
                  > Capt Bob
                  >
                  > Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
                  > My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dream
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Robert Jorgenson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                    sailboats have sails for a reason
                    ocean crossing 30 days
                    departure used motor to clear crowded moreing = 1/2 mile
                    arrival under SF golden gate bridge =in hurry to get some sleep - motior last 5 miles while getting boat ship shape.

                    my private sailboat used 2 gallons of fuel in last 10 trips.
                    average use of motor per trip 5 min if solo/ 3 min with crew

                    capt bob
                    master skipper offshore USN

                    columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

                    > <*> Your email settings:
                    > Individual Email | Traditional
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings online go to:
                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings via email:
                    > columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    > columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • CJE
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                      Try telling yourself what to do - don't blame me because you are lazy and/or stupid.

                      First read the last line in every e-mail you receive from this Group.

                      If you read the messages on the website - click on 'edit membership' and follow the easy instructions.

                      ==================
                    • CJE
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                        Wouldn't it pay to mount the motor shaft and the prop shaft end-to-end ?

                        Mount the forward end of the prop shaft on/through a 'vertical' plate - at 90º to the prop shaft. Use say; 1/2" aluminum. On each side of the plate mount a flange-mount thrust bearing - could be ball or tapered roller - one bearing for each direction of thrust.

                        Two pillow block bearings could be used - if the plate was 'horizontal.

                        stephen
                        ------------

                        On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Robert Jorgenson wrote:

                        the motor is mounted parell to the axle so I cut out a 5 inch circle from the 3/4 inch horse trailer rubber matting and am making a metale plate which bolts to where the wheel rim normally bolts and 4 inch metal plate which bolts to the boat drive shaft
                        thisis similar to the steering colum set up oon older cars.

                        Need help

                        Capt bob 435 678 3436

                        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "cmckesson2000" <cmckesson2000@...> wrote:

                        > Bob, the biggest challenge I had was solving the thrust bearing. I ended up retaining the old gearbox for this purpose.
                        >
                        > Your other choices are:
                        > Install a thrust bearing on its own
                        > Ignore it and overload the bearings in the motor.
                        >
                        > I don't recommend #2.
                        >

                        > Chris McKesson
                        > Genius naval architect >smile<
                        >
                        > www.mckesson.us
                        >

                        > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jorgenson <falcolnxp@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > 11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K
                        > >
                        > > took 22 hp out 2 months ago
                        > > pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)
                        > >
                        > > Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.
                        > >
                        > > 4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.
                        > >
                        > > Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;
                        > >
                        > > Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
                        > > any questions 435 678 3436
                        > >
                        > > Capt Bob
                        > >
                        > > Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
                        > > My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dreamÂ

                      • cmckesson2000
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 3, 2012
                          Yes, that will work. Again I will say that if you are repowering a boat that had an engine in it, then simply retaining the old transmission is probably the easiest solution. The thrust bearing is within the transmission, and the boat probably already has mounts for that trans.

                          Then you need only couple the input shaft of the trans to the output shaft of the motor.

                          Chris