Re: CYOA - golf cart Motors for sailboat power

  • Michael Shea
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012

    You don't necessarily need a 48 oe 36 V charger.  36 V is 3 12 V in series, or (more ideally) 6 12 V w/ 3 parallel pairs in series.  There are setups available that isolate and charge individual 12 V batts that are in series to deliver 36 VDC.  Although 36 VDC may be the simplest & least expensive way to go...

    These are helpful.
    Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
      have you goy any pics of this setup? is it an alternative to trolling/torquedo/electric motors?

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jorgenson" <falcolnxp@...> wrote:

      > bought golf Cart yesterday with controller
      >
      > 11 hp at 2500 rpm 48V
      >
      > Sales person thought I might want to run on 36 volt since 7 hp is max to get hull speed on
      > my 6 ton 30 ft colombia
      >
      > Need 48 V charger
      >
      > Comments, suggestions
      >
      > has anyone tried an installation with golf cart motor
      >
      > Capt. Bob

    • Michael Shea
      Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
        There is an electric sailboat yahoo group with extensive experience and information.  Forgot the contact info.  Sorry.

        have you goy any pics of this setup? is it an alternative to trolling/torquedo/electric motors?

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jorgenson" <falcolnxp@...> wrote:

        > bought golf Cart yesterday with controller
        >
        > 11 hp at 2500 rpm 48V
        >
        > Sales person thought I might want to run on 36 volt since 7 hp is max to get hull speed on
        > my 6 ton 30 ft colombia
        >
        > Need 48 V charger
        >
        > Comments, suggestions
        >
        > has anyone tried an installation with golf cart motor
        >
        > Capt. Bob

        53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
        consumerproducts.com
      • Robert Jorgenson
        Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
          11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K

          took 22 hp out 2 months ago
          pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)

          Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.

          4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.

          Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;

          Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
          any questions 435 678 3436

          Capt Bob

          Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
          My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dream

          have you goy any pics of this setup? is it an alternative to trolling/torquedo/electric motors?

          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jorgenson" <falcolnxp@...> wrote:

          > bought golf Cart yesterday with controller
          >
          > 11 hp at 2500 rpm 48V
          >
          > Sales person thought I might want to run on 36 volt since 7 hp is max to get hull speed on
          > my 6 ton 30 ft colombia
          >
          > Need 48 V charger
          >
          > Comments, suggestions
          >
          > has anyone tried an installation with golf cart motor
          >
          > Capt. Bob

        • Robert Jorgenson
          Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
            I had a 38 v golf cart charger, I am going to try running the 48 V motor on 36 volts.
            sounds like switching the 48 v to 72 v would be another possibillity if power is a problem.
            set up a direct connect to drive shaft thur one of the axles. looks good just no water to test around here.
            Capt bob 435 678 3436

            Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
              11 hp
              3     12 marine batteries or 36 v should give me 7 hp
              If under powered motor in 48 v so adding another batter is easy
              Main problem is charger is 36 v golf cart charger

              capt bob 435 678 3436

              How much HP do you have and how big of a battery bank do you have.
              On Jan 1, 2012 9:51 AM, "cmckesson2000" <cmckesson2000@...> wrote:

              Yes Bob, my C-36 SUNDANCE is propelled by a golf cart motor.

              It was a 36V set up originally, but I upped it to 72V. I find we steam comfortably on 72V at about 25 Amps.

              Yes, your motor should run fine on the voltages you mentioned.

              I bought my chargers on eBay, they are Lester brand, and they run ~$300 for a 30A charger. You could also run 4 12V chargers in parallel, but I think this would end up being more expensive.

              Best wishes,

              Chris McKesson

              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jorgenson" <falcolnxp@...> wrote:

              > bought golf Cart yesterday with controller
              >
              > 11 hp at 2500 rpm 48V
              >
              > Sales person thought I might want to run on 36 volt since 7 hp is max to get hull speed on
              > my 6 ton 30 ft colombia
              >
              > Need 48 V charger
              >
              > Comments, suggestions
              >
              > has anyone tried an installation with golf cart motor
              >
              > Capt. Bob

            • cmckesson2000
              Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                I run 6 x Group 31 12V batteries, 120 Ah each. This gives me about a ten mile range on battery power at normal cruising power (~3-4 knots).

                I have had the motor up to 125 Amps to buck a rapids in British Columbia. That makes 9 kW, or about 12 hp.

                --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Chris Guldi <cxguldi@...> wrote:

                > Chris
                >
                > How much HP do you have and how big of a battery bank do you have.
                > On Jan 1, 2012 9:51 AM, "cmckesson2000" <cmckesson2000@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Yes Bob, my C-36 SUNDANCE is propelled by a golf cart motor.
                > >
                > > It was a 36V set up originally, but I upped it to 72V. I find we steam
                > > comfortably on 72V at about 25 Amps.
                > >
                > > Yes, your motor should run fine on the voltages you mentioned.
                > >
                > > I bought my chargers on eBay, they are Lester brand, and they run ~$300
                > > for a 30A charger. You could also run 4 12V chargers in parallel, but I
                > > think this would end up being more expensive.
                > >
                > > Best wishes,
                > >
                > > Chris McKesson
                > >
                > > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jorgenson"
                > > <falcolnxp@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > bought golf Cart yesterday with controller
                > > >
                > > > 11 hp at 2500 rpm 48V
                > > >
                > > > Sales person thought I might want to run on 36 volt since 7 hp is max to
                > > get hull speed on
                > > > my 6 ton 30 ft colombia
                > > >
                > > > Need 48 V charger
                > > >
                > > > Comments, suggestions
                > > >
                > > > has anyone tried an installation with golf cart motor
                > > >
                > > > Capt. Bob

              • cmckesson2000
                Message 8 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                  No pics, sorry. (Although Latitude 38 ran some pics a long time ago.)

                  Back when the system was 36V there was a complete thread here on this forum. It's still fundamentally correct at:

                  Chris

                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "jhnblngr" <jhnblngr@...> wrote:

                  > have you goy any pics of this setup? is it an alternative to trolling/torquedo/electric motors?
                  >
                  > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jorgenson" <falcolnxp@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > bought golf Cart yesterday with controller
                  > >
                  > > 11 hp at 2500 rpm 48V
                  > >
                  > > Sales person thought I might want to run on 36 volt since 7 hp is max to get hull speed on
                  > > my 6 ton 30 ft colombia
                  > >
                  > > Need 48 V charger
                  > >
                  > > Comments, suggestions
                  > >
                  > > has anyone tried an installation with golf cart motor
                  > >
                  > > Capt. Bob

                • cmckesson2000
                  Message 9 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                    Bob, the biggest challenge I had was solving the thrust bearing. I ended up retaining the old gearbox for this purpose.

                    Your other choices are:
                    Install a thrust bearing on its own
                    Ignore it and overload the bearings in the motor.

                    I don't recommend #2.

                    Chris McKesson
                    Genius naval architect >smile<

                    www.mckesson.us

                    --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jorgenson <falcolnxp@...> wrote:

                    > 11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K
                    >
                    > took 22 hp out 2 months ago
                    > pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)
                    >
                    > Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.
                    >
                    > 4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.
                    >
                    > Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;
                    >
                    > Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
                    > any questions 435 678 3436
                    >
                    > Capt Bob
                    >
                    > Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
                    > My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dream
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Chris Guldi
                    Message 10 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                      This is great, been looking for this exactly. I have also been looking for any drawings of how the engine, reduction gear, shaft etc all go together as well. This is the first thing of this nature I have tried.

                      --
                      Chris Guldi

                    • tmalcolm
                      Message 11 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                        The Yahoo Group is 'Electric Boats' lots of sailboat install pics in there. My install never made it to the boat as I moved and sold my boat, but I bought the pulleys, pillow blocks and built the mount from aluminum plate. My sketch is in the photos under '8.3 Wind Gypsy'

                        There are a few others in this group who have repowered electric. Google for examples of installs.

                        Bianca Log Blog was fairly detailed
                        http://biankablog.blogspot.com/

                        BTW, a trolling motor has been tried many times and they simply won't push anything larger than a mid-sized dinghy.

                        --Tim
                      • Letsgosailing now
                        Message 12 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                          This electric propulsion thing is very interesting, I thought of it long ago but
                          10 mile range is nowhere near what I need when I sale the boat out of lake Ontario.
                          I will need to install 5 or 6 130watt solar panels to supply juice to my batteries
                          to cross the canals down to Hudson river and off to NY. I don't have the room for that.
                          If it s just in and out the harbor it is fine but not long distance.

                          Yanni @ Service
                          Pisces Marine
                          www.piscesmarine.ca
                          www.onlineoutboards.ca
                          Oakville Ontario
                          905-827-4384

                          Yanni Marinated
                          S/V Princess Thalia
                          Columbia 8.7 #73
                          Port Dalhousie Pier Marina
                          Ontario Canada

                          TURBO!!!!!cause bottles are for babies and superchargers blow!!!
                          Which would you rather have, go fast goodies or shiny shoes?
                          Your feet may look good but if your engine blows you ain't going nowhere

                          > To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: tim@...
                          > Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 16:58:57 +0000
                          > Subject: CYOA - Re: golf cart Motors for sailboat power
                          >
                          > The Yahoo Group is 'Electric Boats' lots of sailboat install pics in there. My install never made it to the boat as I moved and sold my boat, but I bought the pulleys, pillow blocks and built the mount from aluminum plate. My sketch is in the photos under '8.3 Wind Gypsy'

                          > There are a few others in this group who have repowered electric. Google for examples of installs.
                          >
                          > Bianca Log Blog was fairly detailed
                          > http://biankablog.blogspot.com/
                          >

                          > BTW, a trolling motor has been tried many times and they simply won't push anything larger than a mid-sized dinghy.
                          >

                          > --Tim

                          > <*> Your email settings:
                          > Individual Email | Traditional
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings online go to:
                          > (Yahoo! ID required)
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings via email:
                          > columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          > columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Robert Jorgenson
                          Message 13 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                            the motor is mounted parell to the axle so I cut out a 5 inch circle from the 3/4 inch horse trailer rubber matting and am making a metale plate which bolts to where the wheel rim normally bolts and 4 inch metal plate which bolts to the boat drive shaft
                            thisis similar to the steering colum set up oon older cars.

                            Need help

                            Capt bob 435 678 3436

                            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "cmckesson2000" <cmckesson2000@...> wrote:

                            > Bob, the biggest challenge I had was solving the thrust bearing. I ended up retaining the old gearbox for this purpose.
                            >
                            > Your other choices are:
                            > Install a thrust bearing on its own
                            > Ignore it and overload the bearings in the motor.
                            >
                            > I don't recommend #2.
                            >

                            > Chris McKesson
                            > Genius naval architect >smile<
                            >
                            > www.mckesson.us
                            >

                            > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jorgenson <falcolnxp@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > 11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K
                            > >
                            > > took 22 hp out 2 months ago
                            > > pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)
                            > >
                            > > Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.
                            > >
                            > > 4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.
                            > >
                            > > Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;
                            > >
                            > > Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
                            > > any questions 435 678 3436
                            > >
                            > > Capt Bob
                            > >
                            > > Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
                            > > My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dream
                            > >

                            > > ________________________________

                          • Colin Dykes
                            Message 14 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                              PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM THIS GROUP_ THIS IS PROBABLY MY TENTH SUCH REQUEST _ IS ANYBODY LISTENING?

                              Bob, the biggest challenge I had was solving the thrust bearing. I ended up retaining the old gearbox for this purpose.

                              Your other choices are:
                              Install a thrust bearing on its own
                              Ignore it and overload the bearings in the motor.

                              I don't recommend #2.

                              Chris McKesson
                              Genius naval architect >smile<

                              www.mckesson.us

                              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jorgenson <falcolnxp@...> wrote:

                              > 11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K
                              >
                              > took 22 hp out 2 months ago
                              > pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)
                              >
                              > Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.
                              >
                              > 4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.
                              >
                              > Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;
                              >
                              > Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
                              > any questions 435 678 3436
                              >
                              > Capt Bob
                              >
                              > Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
                              > My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dream
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Robert Jorgenson
                              Message 15 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                                sailboats have sails for a reason
                                ocean crossing 30 days
                                departure used motor to clear crowded moreing = 1/2 mile
                                arrival under SF golden gate bridge =in hurry to get some sleep - motior last 5 miles while getting boat ship shape.

                                my private sailboat used 2 gallons of fuel in last 10 trips.
                                average use of motor per trip 5 min if solo/ 3 min with crew

                                capt bob
                                master skipper offshore USN

                                columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

                                > <*> Your email settings:
                                > Individual Email | Traditional
                                >
                                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                >
                                > <*> To change settings via email:
                                > columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                > columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • CJE
                                Message 16 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                                  Try telling yourself what to do - don't blame me because you are lazy and/or stupid.

                                  First read the last line in every e-mail you receive from this Group.

                                  If you read the messages on the website - click on 'edit membership' and follow the easy instructions.

                                  ==================
                                • CJE
                                  Message 17 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                                    Wouldn't it pay to mount the motor shaft and the prop shaft end-to-end ?

                                    Mount the forward end of the prop shaft on/through a 'vertical' plate - at 90º to the prop shaft. Use say; 1/2" aluminum. On each side of the plate mount a flange-mount thrust bearing - could be ball or tapered roller - one bearing for each direction of thrust.

                                    Two pillow block bearings could be used - if the plate was 'horizontal.

                                    stephen
                                    ------------

                                    On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Robert Jorgenson wrote:

                                    the motor is mounted parell to the axle so I cut out a 5 inch circle from the 3/4 inch horse trailer rubber matting and am making a metale plate which bolts to where the wheel rim normally bolts and 4 inch metal plate which bolts to the boat drive shaft
                                    thisis similar to the steering colum set up oon older cars.

                                    Need help

                                    Capt bob 435 678 3436

                                    --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "cmckesson2000" <cmckesson2000@...> wrote:

                                    > Bob, the biggest challenge I had was solving the thrust bearing. I ended up retaining the old gearbox for this purpose.
                                    >
                                    > Your other choices are:
                                    > Install a thrust bearing on its own
                                    > Ignore it and overload the bearings in the motor.
                                    >
                                    > I don't recommend #2.
                                    >

                                    > Chris McKesson
                                    > Genius naval architect >smile<
                                    >
                                    > www.mckesson.us
                                    >

                                    > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jorgenson <falcolnxp@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > 11 hp should give me hull speed 6.2K
                                    > >
                                    > > took 22 hp out 2 months ago
                                    > > pulled motor from golf  cart yesterday morning with help of brillant friend (I am only a genious)
                                    > >
                                    > > Hired an out of work carpenter who dropped by my house to borrow some money this morning.
                                    > >
                                    > > 4 hours later (and me $32.00 poorer) he had motor installed. he is 30 y/o and very strong. I am 71 and after sea trials will let you know how bright I am.
                                    > >
                                    > > Friend 72 y/o will be by in the morning to connect the electrical= one plug and batteries hooked up;
                                    > >
                                    > > Linkage will take  a little longer and is specific to each boat and is best designed by a brillant/genious.( mechanical engineneer)
                                    > > any questions 435 678 3436
                                    > >
                                    > > Capt Bob
                                    > >
                                    > > Yes, I have a friend who is a research mechanical engineneer and two welder/fabricator friends.
                                    > > My friends actualy build working models, I fabricate and dreamÂ

                                  • cmckesson2000
                                    Message 18 of 21 , Jan 3, 2012
                                      Yes, that will work. Again I will say that if you are repowering a boat that had an engine in it, then simply retaining the old transmission is probably the easiest solution. The thrust bearing is within the transmission, and the boat probably already has mounts for that trans.

                                      Then you need only couple the input shaft of the trans to the output shaft of the motor.

                                      Chris