HALF HULL HALF FAST

  • huffboat
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2011
      I have a nice piece of (probably endangered now) rosewood that is beyond seasoned and am thinking about making a "half hull" plaque- anybody here make one of their boat hull? Thanx. Huff '64 Challenger
    • jeff t
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2011
        I believe Capt. Pauley used to earn a living that way...

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "huffboat" <oliveviewvillas@...> wrote:

        > I have a nice piece of (probably endangered now) rosewood that is beyond seasoned and am thinking about making a "half hull" plaque- anybody here make one of their boat hull? Thanx. Huff '64 Challenger

      • Paul Esterle
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2011
        You going to use the rosewood for the backboard or the hull? Most times
        the hulls are carved from a stack of "lifts". Each lift is scaled to a
        measurement on the hull 1/2" thick = 1 foot or the like. Sugar pine and
        juletong are dreams to carve. Mahogany is okay if it is
        straight-grained. Anything really hard and/or with a curly grain will
        drive you bonkers. Learn how to sharpen your tools before starting. I
        have a collection of violin planes, small spoke shaves and some chisels
        and gouges. Spent as much time sharpening as I did carving.
        Photo 1 is a miniature America I did.

        Photo 2 is a half hull of the brig Niagara. O. H. Perry; "We have net
        the enemy and they are ours!"

        Capt'n Pauley (Paul Esterle)
        Freelance Boating Writer
        www.thevirtualboatyard.com

        Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
          Paul is right. The way most folks make them is to make a set of thin sections based on the drawings. These sections are as if the hull were sliced vertically, fore and aft. The sections are glued up and then carved and sanded to a smooth shape. When I was a kid, they made model kits of birds based on this idea. The kit contained punched out sections made of cardboard for the body. I have a half hull of Ouroboros but it is commercially made and probably worth more money than the Ol' girl herself.

          Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
            Bruce- If I sent you some modeling clay could I get you to do a quick imprint?
            Huff

            Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2011
              Huff,
                  I doubt that's going to work. The half hull I have is not a bare wood model. It is painted with real Emron and copper bottom paint and detailed with life lines, hatches, and a port light.

              Message 7 of 15 , Oct 4, 2011
                Got any pics you can share? Thanx much. Huff

                Message 8 of 15 , Oct 4, 2011
                  Sure. It actually belongs to my wife. I got it for her to put in her office so she could get inspired to sail more often and it works. This is a case where the new 3D printers would be perfect but unless you know somebody that has the equipment and is into it as a hobby, it would be too expensive.

                  Got any pics you can share? Thanx much. Huff

                • Harry James
                  Message 9 of 15 , Oct 4, 2011
                    Lots of hobby building clubs are getting these 3d printers, that would be an option.

                    HJ

                    Message 10 of 15 , Oct 5, 2011
                      Does that mean you have a 3D camera? I could find a printer (I think). Reg pics would work. Thanx. Huff

                      Message 11 of 15 , Oct 5, 2011
                        No, I don't. I'll look into having it scanned. I can't promise anything. Please understand that it is worth several hundred dollars and belongs to my wife. I will not do anything that might damage it.

                        Does that mean you have a 3D camera? I could find a printer (I think). Reg pics would work. Thanx. Huff

                        ---
                      • Harry James
                        Message 12 of 15 , Oct 5, 2011
                          3 D Printers are hobbyist 3d sculpting tools, I want one. Kind of a
                          deceptive name.

                          http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/store/bfb-3dtouch-3d-printer-hobby-pack

                          They have these hobby centers around the nation now that have space and
                          tools for members to build stuff. They often have one or two of these
                          machines. I was unable to google one up, not asking the right question.

                          HJ

                          Message 13 of 15 , Oct 5, 2011
                            Hi Bruce. Whatever you can do, without risking, will be appreciated. Thanx again. Huff

                            Message 14 of 15 , Oct 5, 2011
                              I know several folks that are fooling around with this stuff. It's really neat. It was pioneered by the Navy. They had in mind a real "replicator" that could make spare parts out of sintered metal. I idea was to mix the metal for a specific alloy. Why stock a 1/4-20 X 3"  grade 8 bolt if you can make one? The current technology works with plastics. I have no idea how much it costs or if any of them have a scanner that will take a 12" hull model. More learning to do, I suppose. I've met several folks that stopped learning at age 12, and it did not seem to hurt them any. Maybe it's worth a try.

                              3 D Printers are hobbyist 3d sculpting tools, I want one. Kind of a
                              deceptive name.

                            • Christian Planton
                              Message 15 of 15 , Oct 5, 2011

                                Here is a video of a three 3D printer replicator type thing…..Very cool.  I teach at a high school and bought with a grant for $1500 dollars a 3D printer you put together called Makerbot called thing-o-matic. It makes 3D objects in plastic. Think of building something with a glue gun and you get the idea. The software is open source.

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

                                Enjoy

                                Christian