Anchor platform

  • WindSinger
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 5, 2011
      Has anyone installed an anchor platform on their boat. I'm planning on putting one on my twenty eight to keep the anchors away from the hull. I'm also installing a small Lewmar remote controlled anchor winch too. I'm gonna try to make my own bow rail. That's gonna be a lot of fun. The platform is two three quarter in thick pieces of that marine plastic stuff. Got it cheap so I don't want to waste it. Any ideas?
      Jess
      1970 C-28
      Redwood City,Ca.
    • CJE

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5, 2011
          My only problem Stephen is that I have a delta that I want to use. On a
          regular bow roller made for it, it's just too close to for bow of the boat
          when I pull it. God forbid being in heavy chop (which S.F. bay is known
          for). I got a danforth style that will be beside it (it won't be mounted all
          the time. Like you, I'm going around slot it around the forestay and plug it
          behind. I'll run a stainless tube to hold it up. It's just figuring out how
          to do it, as usual. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out two dozen other
          things too. Know any genius's for hire? Like how in the hell do you gently
          bend one inch stainless steel tube? Hey, what's ya charge to do some work.
          Whoops, I can't afford the travel charges.

          Jesse Doyle
          1971 Columbia 28'
          s/v Wind Singer
          S.F. Bay Area
          Redwood City, Ca.

[...]

          ------------------------------------

          Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
          http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

          Home:
          http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
              If you know an electrician, chances are he has a tubeing bender used for conduit.  Your building supply store should have one available.

              Bill

              To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                I tried it (1" stainless tubing). It did not work (for me).

                --Ernst

                --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:

                > I have heard that if you pack thin tubing with sand, it can be bent without
                > kinking. I've never tried it. You might experiment with some copper tubing.
                >

                > Bruce K
                > Challenger # 74, "Ouroboros"
                > Los Lunas, NM
                >

                > > My only problem Stephen is that I have a delta that I want to use. On a
                > > regular bow roller made for it, it's just too close to for bow of the boat
                > > when I pull it. God forbid being in heavy chop (which S.F. bay is known
                > > for). I got a danforth style that will be beside it (it won't be mounted
                > > all
                > > the time. Like you, I'm going around slot it around the forestay and plug
                > > it
                > > behind. I'll run a stainless tube to hold it up. It's just figuring out
                > > how
                > > to do it, as usual. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out two dozen other
                > > things too. Know any genius's for hire? Like how in the hell do you gently
                > > bend one inch stainless steel tube? Hey, what's ya charge to do some work.
                > > Whoops, I can't afford the travel charges.
                > >
                > > Jesse Doyle
                > > 1971 Columbia 28'
                > > s/v Wind Singer
                > > S.F. Bay Area
                > > Redwood City, Ca.

              • niebur32
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                  Tried that, too. The electricians tubing bender (bought at Home Depot) is not strong enough for stainless. It works great for what for the conduit it is designed (I built my winter cover frame from it and definitely got my money's worth out of it) but you cannot develop enough force to bend the stainless.

                  Again, this was just my experience.

                  Ernst

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011

                    My girlfriend just recently purchased me a hydraulic tubing bender for my birthday. It’ll bend everything from two inch down to three quarter of an inch. Like Bruce said I may have to try some sort of medium inside to keep it from collapsing. Hopefully it will work for me. I plan on making a radar mast or arch also. I don’t trust AIS out here because a lot of these ships either don’t have it or they disable it. But anyway, any ideas about the anchor platform. It’s either use it or sell it.

                    Jesse Doyle

                    1971 Columbia 28'

                    s/v Wind Singer

                    S.F. Bay Area

                    Redwood City, Ca.

                    To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                        Did I mention I tried that, too? OK, perhaps I am having my terminology wrong here: I bought an hydraulic pipe bender (from Harbor Freight). It is strong enough to bend ANYTHING but when I put in tubing, it kinks it...

                        --Ernst

                        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Doyle" <jess81452@...> wrote:

                        > My girlfriend just recently purchased me a hydraulic tubing bender for my
                        > birthday. It'll bend everything from two inch down to three quarter of an
                        > inch. Like Bruce said I may have to try some sort of medium inside to keep
                        > it from collapsing. Hopefully it will work for me. I plan on making a radar
                        > mast or arch also. I don't trust AIS out here because a lot of these ships
                        > either don't have it or they disable it. But anyway, any ideas about the
                        > anchor platform. It's either use it or sell it.
                        >

                        > Jesse Doyle
                        >
                        > 1971 Columbia 28'
                        >
                        > s/v Wind Singer
                        >
                        > S.F. Bay Area
                        >
                        > Redwood City, Ca.

                      • niebur32
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                          FWIW, I used dry sand, did not think about wetting it. Perhaps that is the problem.

                          No idea if it was rounded. IIRC, it was play sand from Home Depot.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011

                            As usual Bruce you come up with some good idea. I was thinking of taking a short piece first and fill it with wet sand and then plug it with two of those bilge drain plugs for power boats. I’ll have to grind the rubber down so it will fit but I think it will work to keep the sand from moving from the bend area. This might just work. Neibur, I do take into consideration your opinions. I thought about it and I agree with you about the tube to hold the anchor platform. I don’t think it will take a lot of side force. I’ll have to think more about it. Thank you. You too Bruce.

                          • welshman@ptialaska.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                              Jim L didn't you buy a tubing bender from Harbor freight a while back?

                              HJ

                              I tried it (1" stainless tubing). It did not work (for me).

                              > --Ernst
                              >
                              > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:
                              >>
                              >> I have heard that if you pack thin tubing with sand, it can be bent without
                              >> kinking. I've never tried it. You might experiment with some copper tubing.
                              >>

                              >> Bruce K
                              >> Challenger # 74, "Ouroboros"
                              >> Los Lunas, NM
                              >>

                              >> > My only problem Stephen is that I have a delta that I want to use. On a
                              >> > regular bow roller made for it, it's just too close to for bow of the boat
                              >> > when I pull it. God forbid being in heavy chop (which S.F. bay is known
                              >> > for). I got a danforth style that will be beside it (it won't be mounted
                              >> > all
                              >> > the time. Like you, I'm going around slot it around the forestay and plug
                              >> > it
                              >> > behind. I'll run a stainless tube to hold it up. It's just figuring out
                              >> > how
                              >> > to do it, as usual. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out two dozen other
                              >> > things too. Know any genius's for hire? Like how in the hell do you gently
                              >> > bend one inch stainless steel tube? Hey, what's ya charge to do some work.
                              >> > Whoops, I can't afford the travel charges.
                              >> >
                              >> > Jesse Doyle
                              >> > 1971 Columbia 28'
                              >> > s/v Wind Singer
                              >> > S.F. Bay Area
                              >> > Redwood City, Ca.

                            • Jeff Avant
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                                Sand sounds like genius!  A little  heat is good too!  Let us know!

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7, 2011
                                  Folks that make custom exhaust headers and pipes do use heat. They use a rosebud tip and heat the pipe up to a dull red. If you do this, you must use very dry sand. I was blue skying about wet sand for cold bending. It might be that one cannot bend stainless without heat.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7, 2011
                                    IIRC, Don Casey describes in Good Old Boat (the old edition that I have) a home-made tubing bender, made of plywood and miscellaneous wood scraps.