Rub Rail Blues

  • svdawntreader
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
      Well now, I have taken off my rub rail on the portside and cleaned it and sprayed it (teh hull joint) with 'Salt-AWAY'. Then reinstalled it, scraped / cleaned the caulking from the top of the joint and new caulking is in.
      Hopefully this will stop the water intrusion that is happening here in this lovely land of liquid sunshine.
      Being a 'realist' I figure it won't.
      What I am thinking of doing is drilling very small hole in an 'upwards' direction thru the middle of the rub rail. Then taking a very small syringe, like the kind West Systems has, and flooding the void of the rub rail with a 'Cpt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' substitute. The will most if not all cracks or whatever and seal them.
      I am thinking this will cost me maybe a gallon of the stuff, at a mere $25, and a days work per side.
      It may be a moot point down south in the tropics and such but I got 1 more winter up here hopefully and I hate water in the boat.

      So here is the Q: What do you see wrong with this plan?
    • dwardpool
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "svdawntreader" <svdawntreader@...> wrote:

        > Well now, I have taken off my rub rail on the portside and cleaned it and sprayed it (teh hull joint) with 'Salt-AWAY'. Then reinstalled it, scraped / cleaned the caulking from the top of the joint and new caulking is in.
        > Hopefully this will stop the water intrusion that is happening here in this lovely land of liquid sunshine.
        > Being a 'realist' I figure it won't.
        > What I am thinking of doing is drilling very small hole in an 'upwards' direction thru the middle of the rub rail. Then taking a very small syringe, like the kind West Systems has, and flooding the void of the rub rail with a 'Cpt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' substitute. The will most if not all cracks or whatever and seal them.
        > I am thinking this will cost me maybe a gallon of the stuff, at a mere $25, and a days work per side.
        > It may be a moot point down south in the tropics and such but I got 1 more winter up here hopefully and I hate water in the boat.
        >
        > So here is the Q: What do you see wrong with this plan?

        > I say GO FOR IT. If it works, you have to promise to let us all know if it worked, since it probably / most likely WILL rain after you are done with it.

        Doug Ward
      • dwardpool
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
              For 1 winter I'd think about using duct tape or gorilla tape.  Either that, or several layers of a good durable paint that can be easily removed with paint thinner when you get to warmer climes.

              If those solutions seem a little too simple and gypsy-ish, then your scheme sounds reasonable, although I wouldn't bet a lot that it'd work.  And even if it does, you have all those holes for future leaks.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
                Yep I have thought about the holes that is why I say using the smallest needle/syringe I can get that will do teh job without wasting too much time. Also I can warm up the rubrail and pull just teh top out in a few location to pour it in. I have had my Portside off 3 times already... I don't want to do it again. It is just a pain to do it, not really that hard. I used a ratchet strap around the stern to keep pressure on it stretching it to the point it needed to be.
                Soon to give it a try...