Re: CYOA - Life Vest Colors

  • Bill Casnovsky
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30, 2011
      I have an offshore vest with integral harness and manual inflate. Do not want to rely on anything automatic. My wife has more faith and chose the automatic.

      Bill Caz.
      s/v Columbia 26MK2, Banshee
      s/v Passport 40, Beau Navire

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 30, 2011
        If you have the ducats available...check out the spinlock vest. It's about 350.00 but hella comfortable, light, built in harness, water activated rescue light and inflate, plus a spray hood unique to their line.
        The pressure auto inflate rather than the moisture a/i seem to be preferred by people that wear them all day every day, but all the systems have come a long way from the days when an aspirin was the trigger.

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Martin" <ka6asj@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Paul.
        >
        > What is your opinion on auto vs manual inflation?
        > I'm thinking I'll go with the auto.
        >
        > Keith
        >
        > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Paul Esterle <pesterle@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The inflated part is bright yellow and very visible. Be sure to purchase
        > > a spare rearming kit and then try the unit out in the water...
        > >
        > > Capt'n Pauley (Paul Esterle)
        > > Freelance Boating Writer
        > > www.thevirtualboatyard.com
        > >

        > > On 8/30/2011 7:34 PM, Keith Martin wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I am going to buy a couple of self inflating life vests. I can't buy
        > > > the model I want from West Marine because it comes only in DARK
        > > > colors!!! Why do they make them in dark colors and not bright colors
        > > > like red, orange or yellow? Am I missing something here?
        > > >
        > > > Keith

      • Paul Esterle
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 30, 2011
          It;s a split decision. Me, the cruiser, prefers a manual inflater.
          Daughter, gung-ho sailboat racer who is always in harm's way (ask her
          about the exploding spinnaker block strap) prefers the auto-inflater.
          There have been reports or auto-inflater auto inflating when drenched,
          although Becky has never had that happen to her.

          On 8/30/2011 9:40 PM, Keith Martin wrote:

          > Thanks Paul.
          >
          > What is your opinion on auto vs manual inflation?
          > I'm thinking I'll go with the auto.
          >
          > Keith
          >
          > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:columbiasailingyachts%40yahoogroups.com>, Paul Esterle
          > <pesterle@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The inflated part is bright yellow and very visible. Be sure to
          > purchase
          > > a spare rearming kit and then try the unit out in the water...
          > >
          > > Capt'n Pauley (Paul Esterle)
          > > Freelance Boating Writer
          > > www.thevirtualboatyard.com
          > >

          > > On 8/30/2011 7:34 PM, Keith Martin wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I am going to buy a couple of self inflating life vests. I can't buy
          > > > the model I want from West Marine because it comes only in DARK
          > > > colors!!! Why do they make them in dark colors and not bright colors
          > > > like red, orange or yellow? Am I missing something here?
          > > >
          > > > Keith

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 30, 2011
            the leopard skin plush print is my favorite to offer ladies who come aboard.....
            ~ pete

            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Martin" <ka6asj@...> wrote:

            > I am going to buy a couple of self inflating life vests. I can't buy the model I want from West Marine because it comes only in DARK colors!!! Why do they make them in dark colors and not bright colors like red, orange or yellow? Am I missing something here?
            >
            > Keith

          • Andrew Geddes
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011

              Alec,

              I have not come across many people with yr family name so wonder if you have a relation (Jennifer) , a lawyer who works in Washington.

              Regards

              Andrew

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
                I have not had relations with that woman