Re: "Pogo" on the water, finally.

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2011
      I never thought "i told you so", in fact you were right, we didn't drag earlier, it was after the wind picked up at about 0130.
      And, YOU did not witness two groundings, so what are you trying to report? That i have been spreading rumors about myself?
      Anyway, i am appreciative of you being there, old friend, on our small adventure. Its so reassuring to hail you on the radio, and have you there 5X5.
      The Great Chesapeake Bay Adventure 2011 got off to a slow start, but there is promise of good times cruising ahead, with larger installments when we get into the Labor Day-'til-Christmas cruise schedules.
      Meanwhile, enjoy the tiny pleasures of your new status, GRANDPA, and hope to see you again soon.
      ~ pete

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Larry W" <radicalcy@...> wrote:

      > "Just a short message to tell about an overnite sailing trip aboard POGO this past weekend.
      > This is the first time for Pogo out on the water since December 2009, and most enjoyable. This was also to be Larry's third attempt to sail this season, the last two having ended abruptly because of engine issues, and the assistance of TowBoat US.
      > Pete Malone,aboard POGO 9.6 went out accompanied by Larry Wilson on ALLABOUTME 8.7.
      > The sail from Rappahannock R waters, around Stingray Point, into Piankatank R waters and Fishing Bay was very nice, with favorable southerly breezes allowing sailing the entire trip.
      > The boats rafted over Sunday night, in a light chop fetching up across Fishing Bay.The rafting process was,in itself,a mini adventure. Larry had anchored earlier in the after noon, while Pete stayed out on the water for a bit, attempting to teach his new Raymarine wheel pilot to navigate. The wind was still pretty fresh when Pete got into the anchorage, and it took three approaches to attach to Larry's 8.7. The wind and currents didn't want to co-ordinate.
      > After a light dinner of fried chicken, potato salad, and green salad,which Pete generously supplied and prepared, the skippers retired to sleep aboard their respective boats, still rafted.
      > Around 0330, Larry woke Pete to say we had dragged anchor. When Larry looked out across the boat, he realized that Pogo was just a couple of feet away from hitting a private dock. We jumped to action and motored up to get off the lee shore, then set another anchor. Pete had thought earlier in the evening that we had moved a bit, but Larry insisted that it was just the effect of swinging on the anchor.
      > Pete, gentleman that he is, did not say, "I told you so". It was at that time only 2 hours until daybreak, and returning to rest seemed unlikely, so after the better part of two pots of coffee, we set off just as the sun was rising. The wind wasn't quite as brisk as the day before, but there was enough so that with a minimum of motor sailing on Larry's part, and only two groundings on the part of Pogo and Pete, we made it back to Deltaville around 0900, and began the tasks associated with putting the boats to bed until the next time.

    • Larry W
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2011
        You're right, I didn't witness the groundings. I was only aware of them after the fact.You should have kept quiet. Goes to show how adept you are at extracting your yacht from the Chessie mud.....lol. It is good to know that someone you know is on the other end of the VHF signal.
        The pleasure was all mine..you lead...I follow....works well. Here's hoping that the next chapter of the GCBA 2011, June 18 to 25 will go as smoothly as this past weekend.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
          Well, best wishes to the 18-25 JUN flotilla.
          REALLY, REALLY, wish i could be on the cruise.

          I'll be in Maine with the wife's Aussie relations, overlooking the rocks her family cracked up on when first arriving in America.

          Not a friendly, caressing bottom, like our dear Chessie mud.

          Oh yes, i nearly forgot to share how much improved the conditions are aboard POGO now that you have refurbished my bimini....Folks, I got to hand it to Larry on this, he took an old disheveled and cut up bimini i had and made it serviceable and attractive for me!!
          This coincides with my skin aging to the point that i am now under doctor's care for skin malady, so the shade is not just welcome relief, but a necessity...Thank You, Larry!!