Re: CYOA - anchor lights on mast

  • Alan Miller
    Message 1 of 17 , May 31 11:55 PM
      I have a C26 Mk I. The wire goes through the hanging locker up the center of the mast. I just had the light fixture replaced. The rigger was able to cut off about 6 inches of the wire and attache to the new light. Do you have a Mk I or Mk II?

      Alan Miller
      Tempest.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
        The PO of my boat installed climbing steps on the mast and I couldn't be happier. They are the aluminum triangles type and make it soooo convenient to scale the mast I sometimes do it for fun. I wear a climbers harness and clip in as I climb for safety.

        They are not cheap, but well worth the $$ IMO. As an added benefit they give an additional Radar return which just might help avoid a collision at sea.

        I know most racers hate them as additional drag but then again I never race and don't really care about the fractional knot of speed loss.

        Joel Wilkins
        m/s Miss Magoo
        C-45, #98
        Treasure Island, FL
      • svdawntreader
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
          Joel, are you saying you DON'T race Miss Magoo?
          I have been around teh racers a bit. But I won't race again. That is why we have these boats isn't it.

          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "V and J" <cruiser6003@...> wrote:

          > The PO of my boat installed climbing steps on the mast and I couldn't be happier. They are the aluminum triangles type and make it soooo convenient to scale the mast I sometimes do it for fun. I wear a climbers harness and clip in as I climb for safety.
          >
          > They are not cheap, but well worth the $$ IMO. As an added benefit they give an additional Radar return which just might help avoid a collision at sea.
          >
          > I know most racers hate them as additional drag but then again I never race and don't really care about the fractional knot of speed loss.
          >
          > Joel Wilkins
          > m/s Miss Magoo
          > C-45, #98
          > Treasure Island, FL

        • John Dodd

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
              Not significantly. Most folks think of a mast in sheer, but actually it is mostly in compression and the holes do not have much effect on that. However, there are major sheer areas, notably at the base, at the spreaders, and at the top where the shroud tangs attach. When attaching hardware, these areas should be avoided and certainly an annular ring of holes or closely spaced access holes are bad. If you examine mast failures, nearly all are just above or below the spreaders with a few at the base. Hardly ever do they break in a midsection.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                good info..
                jd