Re: CYOA - Re: sabre cradle & buster the sailor pup

  • nick greenaway
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
      I wanna say its built heavier than that, but as it is now its about an hour drive from me,&its been several months since the one time I saw it (came as part of a trade) its essentially 4 adjustable jackstands on a wheeled base. If need be,I can drive out there&check

      Nick

      On Sat Jan 1st, 2011 2:20 AM EST David wrote:

      >Looks like it's made out of 2" channel and 1' 1/4" pipe? Is that correct?
      >
      >--- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, nick greenaway <ngreenaway@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Sorry to post all the pics like so, not sure how to upload pics to the website from my phone tho
      >>
      >> The cradle is about 6 feet wide by 7-8 feet long by about 4ish maybe 5 feet high,its adjustable
      >>
      >> Hope that helps
      >> Nick

    • CJE
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
        Based on the pictures: I think the uprights are 2" fixed pipes with 1 1/2" slider pipes inside them.

        The base frame looks to be 4" channel iron.

        I have a question though: why are some of the uprights and braces welded directly to the base frame, while others appear to have an additional horizontal piece between the upright or brace and the frame?

        stephen
        ----------

        On Jan 1, 2011, at 3:53 AM, nick greenaway wrote:

        I wanna say its built heavier than that, but as it is now its about an hour drive from me,&its been several months since the one time I saw it (came as part of a trade) its essentially 4 adjustable jackstands on a wheeled base. If need be,I can drive out there&check

        Nick

        On Sat Jan 1st, 2011 2:20 AM EST David wrote:

        >Looks like it's made out of 2" channel and 1' 1/4" pipe? Is that correct?
        >
        >--- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, nick greenaway <ngreenaway@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Sorry to post all the pics like so, not sure how to upload pics to the website from my phone tho
        >>
        >> The cradle is about 6 feet wide by 7-8 feet long by about 4ish maybe 5 feet high,its adjustable
        >>
        >> Hope that helps
        >> Nick

      • Steeve Blain
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
          Hello from Montreal (new member)
          d'ont you think wheeles are going to sink inn when it rains?
          silly me you probably will set it on blocks anyway right!!

          cheers
          ps. glad I joined, reading you guys with a coffe first thing every morning is most enjoyable
          :)

            Honestly, I've never seen the boat out of the water. I plan on mounting the cradle on a tandem axle trailer after removing the wheels...when I retire from the army&move back to the northwest,ill probably separate the cradle&trailer again. An owner prior to previous owner used to keep it out of water on the cradle all the time, now oddly enough the cradle is kept behind a transmission shop no where near the lake

            Nick

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
              these cradles can be pulled on just about any flat bed double axel trailers with a simple chain block...Uhull rents them for $24 a day and most enreproneurs have them nowaday...dont think building one is worth it unless you plan on moving your boat often.

              I joined this group mostly becaus I almost optained a columbia 24 as my first boat...liked the model alot...however now that I know about the sabre I think its the sexiest boat ever...if I ever get my hands on one, id do a major teak refit and give this boat an interior she deserve...maybe add a little exterior wood work too?

              id love to see photos of sabre interiors if anyone has some

              cheers

              Honestly, I've never seen the boat out of the water. I plan on mounting the cradle on a tandem axle trailer after removing the wheels...when I retire from the army&move back to the northwest,ill probably separate the cradle&trailer again. An owner prior to previous owner used to keep it out of water on the cradle all the time, now oddly enough the cradle is kept behind a transmission shop no where near the lake

              Nick

              On Sun Jan 2nd, 2011 1:37 PM EST Steeve Blain wrote:

              >Hello from Montreal (new member)
              >d'ont you think wheeles are going to sink inn when it rains?
              >silly me you probably will set it on blocks anyway right!!
              >
              >cheers
              >ps. glad I joined, reading you guys with a coffe first thing every morning is
              >most enjoyable
              >:)
              >

              >________________________________

            • BRIAN MULLIGAN
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
                Steve,

                I have a sabre, and they are sexy.  However, mine is gutted.  She is a shell.  The interior was rotten thru & thru.  I'm going to do somthing with it soon.  It has a lot of racing gear and new sails.  When I did sail her it was a blast.  Heals like no other boat.  Points well too.
                Brian Mulligan

                Honestly, I've never seen the boat out of the water. I plan on mounting the cradle on a tandem axle trailer after removing the wheels...when I retire from the army&move back to the northwest,ill probably separate the cradle&trailer again. An owner prior to previous owner used to keep it out of water on the cradle all the time, now oddly enough the cradle is kept behind a transmission shop no where near the lake

                Nick

                On Sun Jan 2nd, 2011 1:37 PM EST Steeve Blain wrote:

                >Hello from Montreal (new member)
                >d'ont you think wheeles are going to sink inn when it rains?
                >silly me you probably will set it on blocks anyway right!!
                >
                >cheers
                >ps. glad I joined, reading you guys with a coffe first thing every morning is
                >most enjoyable
                >:)

              • Larry W
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2011
                  Steve,
                  here's a link to a couple of interior shots. There are other albums here on the website, you just have to hunt for them in Photos.

                  Larry Wilson