Introducing C22 hull # 482 (I think)

  • glenndendy
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
      Good Evening everyone!

      I finally got my Columbia 22 home yesterday after rebuilding / modifying a trailer and having a few issues with loading and driving 200 miles home! (More on that story later.)

      There was no Hull plate to be found anywhere on this boat, and the metal hub on the rudder shaft (where it was suggested some numbers were stamped) is completely corroded away.

      But! I unrolled the sails and as long as "North Sails" was an original sail supplier, my hull # is 482. That is the number on the main and I have a "North Sail" sail bag with "COLUMBIA 22 482 MAIN" stencil painted on the bag just above the North Sails logo.

      Can't imagine why anyone would stencil this on the bag and not their name or something, unless this is factory original. I have also checked owner registries on all the Columbia groups I could find and this number is not "taken" already.

      So... My question to the group. Is it safe to assume and declare that I am the proud owner of C22 hull #482?

      Thanks for the input!

      Glenn.
    • Daniel Grant
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
        A lot of the olumbia Boats preceeded the HIN number system and had a number in the head that was a manufacturer number. Dan

        > To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
        > From: donrickles@...
        > Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 00:01:00 -0600
        > Subject: Re: CYOA - Introducing C22 hull # 482 (I think)
        >
        > Depending on the year model you may find a serial number or Hull Id Number
        > (HIN) on the rear transom. All boats I have had in the past the HIN has
        > always been on the upper right side looking at the rear of the boat. On my
        > 32T however it is on the upper Left side. Just below the rub rail. Have a
        > look there and see if you don't find a number.

      • Don

          > I finally got my Columbia 22 home yesterday after rebuilding / modifying a
          trailer and having a few issues with loading and driving 200 miles home!
          (More on that story later.)

          > There was no Hull plate to be found anywhere on this boat, and the metal
          hub on the rudder shaft (where it was suggested some numbers were stamped)
          is completely corroded away.

          > But! I unrolled the sails and as long as "North Sails" was an original
          sail supplier, my hull # is 482. That is the number on the main and I have a
          "North Sail" sail bag with "COLUMBIA 22 482 MAIN" stencil painted on the bag
          just above the North Sails logo.

          > Can't imagine why anyone would stencil this on the bag and not their name
          or something, unless this is factory original. I have also checked owner
          registries on all the Columbia groups I could find and this number is not
          "taken" already.

          > So... My question to the group. Is it safe to assume and declare that I am
          the proud owner of C22 hull #482?

          > Thanks for the input!
          >
          > Glenn.

          > To Subscribe, send a message to:
          columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
            The 22 was built before the advent of the HIN. Hin's came on after 1972
            when the last 22 was built.

            HJ

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                Well, based on the response so far, there will be no 2011 CYOA calendar.
                Normally, this time of year I have anywhere from 20 to 40 pictures to
                choose from. This year only about four have submitted pictures. Some
                good pictures but not enough for a calendar. First time in 6 years we
                won't have a calendar...

                Paul Esterle
                Freelance Boating Writer
                "Capt'n Pauley's Place"
                The Virtual Boatyard
                www.thevirtualboatyard.com
              • John Dodd
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                  Paul

                  given how many boats seem to be under reworking this year ..maybe the calendar should just feature reconstruction photos .. shots of folks buried in the engine compartment
                  before and after shots of the interiors and things like that ..
                  just a suggestion

                  and again let me apologize for the row about the misplaced finger ..

                  John Dodd

                  On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Paul Esterle <pesterle@...> wrote:

                  Well, based on the response so far, there will be no 2011 CYOA calendar.
                  Normally, this time of year I have anywhere from 20 to 40 pictures to
                  choose from. This year only about four have submitted pictures. Some
                  good pictures but not enough for a calendar. First time in 6 years we
                  won't have a calendar...

                  Paul Esterle
                  Freelance Boating Writer
                  "Capt'n Pauley's Place"
                  The Virtual Boatyard
                  www.thevirtualboatyard.com

                • Letsgosailing now
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                    Hey Paul,
                    How many pictures do you want? I never had a calendar.

                    Yanni@ Service
                    Pisces Marine
                    669 Third Line
                    Oakville On
                    L6L4A9
                    905-827-4384
                    www.piscesmarine.ca
                    S/V Princess Thalia
                    Columbia 8.7 #73
                    Looking for new home...

                    > Well, based on the response so far, there will be no 2011 CYOA calendar.
                    > Normally, this time of year I have anywhere from 20 to 40 pictures to
                    > choose from. This year only about four have submitted pictures. Some
                    > good pictures but not enough for a calendar. First time in 6 years we
                    > won't have a calendar...
                    >
                    > Paul Esterle
                    > Freelance Boating Writer
                    > "Capt'n Pauley's Place"
                    > The Virtual Boatyard
                    > www.thevirtualboatyard.com

                    > To Subscribe, send a message to:
                    > columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

                  • Susan Lawson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                      me neither, henry

                      > Well, based on the response so far, there will be no 2011 CYOA calendar.
                      > Normally, this time of year I have anywhere
                      from 20 to 40 pictures to
                      > choose from. This year only about four have submitted pictures. Some
                      > good pictures but not enough for a calendar. First time in 6 years we
                      > won't have a calendar...
                      >
                      > Paul Esterle
                      > Freelance Boating Writer
                      > "Capt'n Pauley's Place"
                      > The Virtual Boatyard
                      > www.thevirtualboatyard.com

                      > To Subscribe, send a message to:

                      href="mailto:columbiasailingyachts-subscribe%40eGroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:columbiasailingyachts-subscribe%40eGroups.com">columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

                    • Kurt Messerschmidt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                        Paul,

                            Please use that great shot of the Como No in the middle of Lake Ontario.  I know it was in one of your calendars a few years ago but if we're short of pictures for this year, that would be a fine one to use.

                        Best wishes,

                        Kurt Messerschmidt

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                          I've got three, maybe four, so far. So I need 8 or 9 more...

                          On 11/2/2010 1:16 PM, Letsgosailing now wrote:
                          > Hey Paul,
                          > How many pictures do you want? I never had a calendar.
                          >
                          > Yanni@ Service
                          > Pisces Marine
                          > 669 Third Line
                          > Oakville On
                          > L6L4A9
                          > 905-827-4384
                          > www.piscesmarine.ca
                          > S/V Princess Thalia
                          > Columbia 8.7 #73
                          > Looking for new home...

                        • John Quick
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                          Paul

                          Attached atre a couple to consider for the Calendar/

                          Capt. John K. Quick
                          USCG License 1165368
                          s/v "Semper Fi" #177 C45
                          St Petersburg, FL

                          Message 13 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                            How do you want them sent to you, email?

                            Yanni@ Service
                            Pisces Marine
                            669 Third Line
                            Oakville On
                            L6L4A9
                            905-827-4384
                            www.piscesmarine.ca
                            S/V Princess Thalia
                            Columbia 8.7 #73
                            Port Dalhousie Pier Marina
                            Slip A-42

                            Message 14 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                              Paul, I have one of my 28. It's not very interesting being as it's in the
                              dock but you can have it if you think you can use it.

                              Jesse Doyle
                              s/v Wind Singer
                              1971 Columbia 28'
                              Coyote Point Marina
                              Redwood City, CA.

                              Message 15 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                                That's best...

                                Thanks!

                                On 11/2/2010 2:28 PM, Letsgosailing now wrote:
                                > How do you want them sent to you, email?
                                >
                                > Yanni@ Service
                                > Pisces Marine
                                > 669 Third Line
                                > Oakville On