Re: CYOA - requisite boat content for the backwards(formerly halloween)thread

    Message 1 of 108 , Nov 1, 2010
      nick,
      We run an annual race out here which we started calling the Jose Cuervo 50 because the local Heublein representative was dating one of our members and she arraigned for a truck load of free tequila. It's run in the fall when the water is warm and on a weekend close to the full moon. It's a lot of fun. I know. 50 miles does not sound like much to the blue water boys and you can't get lost on a lake, (Actually you can, One boat go lost in a cove and called State Parks one night about 3 AM because no matter which direction he sailed, he hit ground, but that may have been too much Uncle Joe). Anyway, we definitely ran afoul of a few State laws by giving each entrant a bottle of the golden cure-all. In New Mexico, as in Oklahoma, it is all politics anyway, not religion. This State has a distributorship system, (monopoly) and rationed retail liquor license system, which is how the Maloof family made their billions.

            Los Lunas, N

      im from washington, but havent lived there since 96, when as a scrawny teenager, i joined the army. ive visited a few times early in my career, but havent gone back for awhile, so i cant attest to the sanity of my beloved home state...however while here in oklahoma i came across a book on the history of hydroplane racing in the tri-cities ...and yea, while im familiar with the park with the boat-on-the-pole, it wasnt my thing- im more a seafair guy...had it been about western washington hydros, i mighta bought it..same boats, same racers..nicer area...but i digress. here is the tie in to blue laws and boats- and early boat was sponsored by smirnoff...these are the days of piston power and SLO-MO-SHUN..well at the time, washingtons laws prohibited the advertisement of alcohol on sundays. the smirnoff boat had a bottle of vodka emblazoned on the tailfin, and this constituted advertising, so the boat was facing the possibility of not being able to race on
      sundays. to sidestep this, smirnoffs parent company, i believe owned a-1 steak sauce as well-id have to go back and look it us, but the bottom line is the parent company provided a cut out of a bottle from one of its other product lines (again i think it was a-1 bottle they provided) to cover up the vodka bottle which dare not show its face on sundays

      nick