hull seal joint

  • Susan Lawson
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 25, 2010
      have any of you guys ever tried replacing the seal of the hull? just checking to see if its worth doing to try to stop leakage. theres a couple of heavey sealant spots on both quarter berths, just wondering if its something id like to tackle or not. henry

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
        It has been done, but I'm not sure anyone who has done it is still on the list. If it is a true "H" joint, the only way to open it up is to lift the deck up off the hull. There are a few other boat makes that have used it so you might do a little searching on other sites. If you are willing to search the Columbia archives, there were a couple excellent posting on the subject.

        have any of you guys ever tried replacing the seal of the hull? just checking to see if its worth doing to try to stop leakage. theres a couple of heavey sealant spots on both quarter berths, just wondering if its something id like to tackle or not. henry

      • Paul Esterle
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
          Look on the www.columbia-yachts.com website under How To,,, for a
          drawing of the typical Columbia "H" joint. One hulls with the "H" joint,
          the hull was in a jig holding it fixed while the joint and deck were
          installed. If you take the deck off, the hull will be so floppy, you'll
          never get it back together. Most have used sealant forced into the
          joint. Some have had success with Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.

          Paul Esterle
          Freelance Boating Writer
          "Capt'n Pauley's Place"
          The Virtual Boatyard
          www.thevirtualboatyard.com

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
              thats what im thinking, water coming from the bow area or under the windows, theres several areas where moss was growing- thinking maybe roots wormed there way into joint.. id like to fill with epoxy, but the underside would be tricky, thanks guys, ill dig deeper. do ya think the rivets are ok?  henry

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                And right there on the Columbia list is the story ( I didn't know it was there either)

                http://www.columbia-yachts.com/toerails.html

                HJ

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                  Oops--that isn't an H joint its a flange--sorry.

                  One of the problems with the H joint is you can't fiberglass over it.

                  I wonder if you could take off a couple of inches of the outer leg of the H every few feet and tab it to hold the deck in position and then remove the rest of the outer leg and fiberglass it?? Sawzall, circular saw, jigsaw  and grinder, whatever it takes.

                  My personal opinion is the only way to deal with the hull deck joint on older fiberglass boats is fiberglass over them especialy if you are thinking of open water voyaging.

                  Doesn't Hal Roth have a long section in one of his books where he had continual problems with his?

                  HJ

                  On 10/26/2010 10:23 AM, Harry James wrote:
                  And right there on the Columbia list is the story ( I didn't know it was there either)

                  http://www.columbia-yachts.com/toerails.html

                  HJ

                  On 10/26/2010 6:24 AM, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:
                  It has been done, but I'm not sure anyone who has done it is still on the list. If it is a true "H" joint, the only way to open it up is to lift the deck up off the hull. There are a few other boat makes that have used it so you might do a little searching on other sites. If you are willing to search the Columbia archives, there were a couple excellent posting on the subject.

                  have any of you guys ever tried replacing the seal of the hull? just checking to see if its worth doing to try to stop leakage. theres a couple of heavey sealant spots on both quarter berths, just wondering if its something id like to tackle or not. henry

                • Daniel Grant
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                    Some individuals have removed the metal trim or rubber trim and glassed over the joint by glassing a few inches below and wrapping the glass cloth over the top. On my C-28 I re caulked from the inside filling the area with 5200 from about a foot before and continuing a foot after the leaking area. I had no further problems. Dan

                    To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                      And here's another file I had saved from some posting tin the past...

                      Charles Bourne
                      1975 Columbia T-23 GEM # 357
                      Pensacola, FL
                      And right there on the Columbia list is the story ( I didn't know it was there either)

                      http://www.columbia-yachts.com/toerails.html

                      HJ

                      On 10/26/2010 6:24 AM, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:

                      It has been done, but I'm not sure anyone who has done it is still on the list. If it is a true "H" joint, the only way to open it up is to lift the deck up off the hull. There are a few other boat makes that have used it so you might do a little searching on other sites. If you are willing to search the Columbia archives, there were a couple excellent posting on the subject.

                      have any of you guys ever tried replacing the seal of the hull? just checking to see if its worth doing to try to stop leakage. theres a couple of heavey sealant spots on both quarter berths, just wondering if its something id like to tackle or not. henry

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • Susan Lawson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                        Dan, theres rtv sealant all along the inside trim of the boat, i was just thinking that there had to be a better way, ill fiqure something out.. henry

                        To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                          Henry,
                          When inividuals have glassed the joint they have done it on the exterior/outside sealing it permanently from water intrusion. This also makes the deck and side into one piece.  I had difficulty sealing the large windows in my C-28 but that was before I discovered GE Ultra Glaze structual sealent SSG4000 which is what Bomar uses to seal the Lexan/Plexiglas in their hatches. I had water intrusion from these windows which driped on the counter and quarter berth until they were finely sealed. Dan

                          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          From: fofa6988@...
                          Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:39:52 -0700

                          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 27, 2010
                            sounds like a plan then, thanks Dan.. henry

                            To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                            From: fofa6988@...
                            Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:39:52 -0700

                            To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 2, 2010
                              hey Bruce, is the 26 mark 11 pulpit the same as the 28's? close? henry

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 2, 2010
                                Henry,
                                The 28 and 36 both had the same designer and in some respects the 28 is a shronken 36. Dan

                                To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                                From: fofa6988@...
                                Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:59:48 -0700

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 2, 2010

                                  OK, Dan, but what about the 26 mark 2? Yanni's friend has one for the 26, will it work as a replacement for my 28? henry

                                  The 28 and 36 both had the same designer and in some respects the 28 is a shronken 36. Dan

                                  To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: fofa6988@...
                                  Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:59:48 -0700

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 2, 2010

                                    Henry, do you think one off a Pearson 26 would work? There’s one on  Ebay down here for 150 and it looks exactly like mine. Maybe I should buy it, send mine to you and use the one I buy on mine.

                                    Jesse Doyle

                                    s/v Wind Singer

                                    1971 Columbia  28'

                                    Coyote Point Marina

                                    Redwood City, CA.

                                    To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: fofa6988@...
                                    Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:59:48 -0700

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 3, 2010
                                      Henry,
                                      You would need to have him measure the width of the pulpit. When you say pulpit I take it you are referring to the bow. There are 2 measurements: with and length. Width may be increased some bu bending out. Length would require longer lifelines. If you are referring to the stern pushpit you have to measure the width. I suppose you could cut the middle and tig weld in pipe extenders and polish the welds. I had a pushpit made for my 28 by a local man who helped me with some renivations/refit. Dan

                                      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: fofa6988@...
                                      Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 21:13:22 -0700

                                      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: fofa6988@...
                                      Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:59:48 -0700

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 3, 2010
                                        I doubt it, but I do not know for sure. Two different designers and different deck layouts. Replacing a pulpit is a real pain. They pretty much have to be custom built if you want an exact replacement. The first step is to get a big piece of cardboard, maybe from an appliance store. Lay that out on the deck and trim to size, then carefully mark the feet and the mounting holes. (You could probably also use butcher paper). If you make a mistake with the cardboard, you can just cut out the bad section and tape in a repair piece. This will serve as a guide for either having one made or when searching salvage yards. Often, a pulpit from a different boat will serve, but you will probably have to plug the old holes with Marine-TeX and drill new ones. Make sure to check out the bulkheads below if you drill new holes. You can carefully bend the legs to fit if they are just a little off, but do not force things. These are usually made of 304 SS, maybe 316, but have been welded, so the joints will probably be harder than the tubing depending on how the welded seams were treated. As mentioned, if it is not an exact replacement, the lifelines may not fit. If too long, they can be shortened and you can use swageless fittings here. If they are now too short, you can rig a short piece of chain or something to fill in.

                                        hey Bruce, is the 26 mark 11 pulpit the same as the 28's? close? henry

                                      • Bill Casnovsky
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 3, 2010
                                          Bruce and others,

                                          FYI, I got my stern pulpit smashed during a race. I took photos and measurements and sent them off to a stainless tubing shop in Michigan. They sent back a beautiful replacement including a step through gate feature off the transom. No way did the mounting holes match - different bolt hole pattern. I am planning to remove the old pulpit, fill the holes and drill new ones.

                                          Bill Caz.
                                          C26MK2, Banshee
                                          Passport 40, Abisag
                                          Austin, TX.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 3, 2010
                                            the reason for replacement is the radius bend of the top is kinked and pulled upward with a starbrd twist, while twisting it was pulled out of the deck lid, forward strbrd leg. kind of a mess but i figured that if anything i can cut and match and reweld, then rechrome- best if just redrilling and mounting tho. the price is right for purchase, if mounting is a little off no big deal. theres a soft spot in the mounting areas anyway that have to be addressed, sooo. the pushpit was damaged in the center, i was gonna remove damage for access off the stern for the swim platform anyway.. i was just wondering if the two, 26 and 28 looked close enough to pass as the same.. my life lines are shoddy in places so i might have to replace while im at it. henry

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 3, 2010
                                              Jess, i dont know, but for sure that would be more of a pain than swapping couplings, no? the man wants the same price, im just looking for a close match. thanks anyway Jess. henry

                                              To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: fofa6988@...
                                              Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:59:48 -0700

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 3, 2010

                                                Not a problem Henry. Just want to help how and when I can. Some folks just have  never understood that part of me but it’s the way I am. I have never wanted or ask for any form of recompense when I do a favor. Just wanted  you  to understand that. Ok. Take care Henry and I hope you can get exactly what you need.

                                                Jesse Doyle

                                                s/v Wind Singer

                                                1971 Columbia  28'

                                                Coyote Point Marina