Re: CYOA - eng removal

  • Patn44
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2010
      Last year hauled the boat to replace the handle of the head outflow seacock which had broken off when I tried to work the cock closed. Hauled because I didn't want a surprise if something else happened. Good choice.
      I got the handle replaced and then decided to check the other three seacocks while I had it out of the water. The rubber plug in the one under the head/sink came apart in my hand. New seacock, through hull, hoses and clamp replaced. Then decided that the 30+ year old fitting all needed to be replace. Realized why the fellows in the yards for the past several haul outs did not want to do the job and kept telling me the old ones where "better than the new ones".
      Got the three smaller ones done and decided to go back to the big one that started the process. When I got it off found the through hull was plastic! and the seacock was only held on by about 1/4" of thread. I actually gasped. I'd been sailing for 25 years with that fitting just waiting to sink me. Doing it yourself at least allows you to know that it is done right.
      Did the whole myself, alone and many trips to the WM/hardware stores. ps always use bronze fittings and stainless clamps, the best you can buy....cause you don't want to do this job again soon.

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Susan Lawson <fofa6988@...> wrote:

      > Dan, yeah, i should never have started washing the inside of the cabin- things just sort of popped up, tabs, wiring, thru hull fittings- which by the way 2 are absolutely frozen in place- but with the eng removed itll open up a lot of space to clean and redo... fun, fun, fun. henry
      >

      > ________________________________

    • CJE
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2010
        I agree with what you say, but with the codicil: the stuff you
        replaced lasted at least 25 years . . . . . <g>

        stephen

        <fofa6988@...> wrote:

        > Dan, yeah, i should never have started washing the inside of the
        cabin- things just sort of popped up, tabs, wiring, thru hull
        fittings- which by the way 2 are absolutely frozen in place- but with
        the eng removed itll open up a lot of space to clean and redo... fun,
        fun, fun. henry

        tonight. cutlas bearing going to be a pain? henryÂ