Re: CYOA - Raw food Diet for Dogs and Cats: recipes ideas

  • cwrandomx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
      I prefer my dog roasted and served w/kimche thank-you very much!
      Rabbit's foot rabbit's foot btw.
      G Pop would be 110 today.
      just a font of trivia I guess.
      Chip Wood
      Chapel Hill (only 50k ppl last night on Franklin St) & Beaufort (the drag
      queen contest was hilarious) NC

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
        Chip,
        I had you pegged as a possum man.

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
          LOLOLOLOLOL Bruce...it takes to long in the pen feedin'em corn meal
          an'apple pairins...at git that worm and bug taste outta them.......but now
          armadillos are another matter....lol
          Chip

          best groundhog i ever had was twiced cooked.........ONLY had it one
          time....don't ask about the sociology exp we did in college 30yrs ago re:elders
          in the city and cat food

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
            But they come with their own hanger for the smoke house. We don't get them
            out here. And the Half shells only come here if we have a couple really wet
            years. They are a Texas thing. You can get entire books of armadillo recipes
            in Texas. We are starting to see javelina at the lake I sail, which really
            delights the pumas and coyotes. There are also some escaped emus on Ted
            Turner's ranch. I can just imagine what it must have been like the first time a
            coyote ran into an emu. Coons we got. Standard, ring tail, and coati mundi.

            > LOLOLOLOLOL Bruce...it takes to long in the pen feedin'em corn meal
            > an'apple pairins...at git that worm and bug taste outta them.......but now
            >
            > armadillos are another matter....lol
            > Chip
            >
            > best groundhog i ever had was twiced cooked.........ONLY had it one
            > time....don't ask about the sociology exp we did in college 30yrs ago
            > re:elders
            > in the city and cat food

          • CJE
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
              I give out grilled hot dogs for Halloween so we typically get a crowd.

              Despite the asshole vendor totally screwing up my hot dog and bun
              order, I managed to race around and got it all back here by noon.

              I'm still a little beat up from crawling into, out of, and around in,
              the crawlspace here under the library fifty or sixty times, but I got
              the new gas line for the using the new gas grille in the front of the
              house all fabricated, threaded, installed and ready to fly by about two.

              Then I set up a saw horse & old-door table for the mustard, ketchup,
              candy, lemonade, and water.

              I was sort of iffy about the whole thing: It rained all morning and
              early afternoon. Plus some local (Philadelphia) sports teams are
              playing some apparently 'important' games today.

              So I thought we might get Mooshed. And at 4:00P there's wasn't a
              costume in sight.

              But I bought 400 hot dogs and had only six left at 7:55P <g>

              How about you all?

              How was your holiday?

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                Dang Stephen....next year I'ma ringing your doorbell

              • Charles Bourne
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                  'Possum on the half shell' aren't only in TX anymore... They frequently are found by the roadside in our part of Florida (northwest)... We don't just have an 'alligator alley' (lower down in the peninsula), but quite often see the armadillo 'legs up' along the roadside...

                  Charles Bourne
                  1975 Columbia T-23 GEM # 357
                  Pensacola, FL

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                    steven,
                    Now that is a great idea! Compliments and kudos to you. What a great way
                    to meet your neighbors.

                    > I give out grilled hot dogs for Halloween so we typically get a crowd.
                    >
                    > Despite the asshole vendor totally screwing up my hot dog and bun
                    > order, I managed to race around and got it all back here by noon.
                    >
                    > I'm still a little beat up from crawling into, out of, and around in,
                    > the crawlspace here under the library fifty or sixty times, but I got
                    > the new gas line for the using the new gas grille in the front of the
                    > house all fabricated, threaded, installed and ready to fly by about two.
                    >
                    > Then I set up a saw horse &old-door table for the mustard, ketchup,
                    > candy, lemonade, and water.
                    >
                    > I was sort of iffy about the whole thing: It rained all morning and
                    > early afternoon. Plus some local (Philadelphia) sports teams are
                    > playing some apparently 'important' games today.
                    >
                    > So I thought we might get Mooshed. And at 4:00P there's wasn't a
                    > costume in sight.
                    >
                    > But I bought 400 hot dogs and had only six left at 7:55P <g>
                    >
                    > How about you all?
                    >
                    > How was your holiday?
                    >
                    > stephen
                  • jeff t
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                      Why did the chicken cross the road???

                      To prove to the armadillo that it could be done....badumbump!

                      I read somewhere that ALL of Americas armadillo population can be traced to a batch that escaped from a crashed circus truck in western Fla. many years back.

                      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Bourne" <cbourne200@...> wrote:

                      > 'Possum on the half shell' aren't only in TX anymore... They frequently are found by the roadside in our part of Florida (northwest)... We don't just have an 'alligator alley' (lower down in the peninsula), but quite often see the armadillo 'legs up' along the roadside...
                      >
                      > Charles Bourne
                      > 1975 Columbia T-23 GEM # 357
                      > Pensacola, FL

                    • CJE
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                        That comment just makes my effing blood boil.

                        Perhaps my thinking is too simplistic, but the idea that in the US
                        there are old people eating cat food out of necessity just makes me
                        want to punch the shit out of whoever is in charge here.

                        I would immediately stop all foreign aide programs so long as even one
                        older person or child was hungry.

                        And I wouldn't restart foreign aide until after the last one pushed
                        their chair back from the table and said: No thanks; I can't eat
                        another bite.

                        Nothing to do with you - it was just your glancing mention of the
                        problem which got me going. The idea just pisses me off.

                        stephen
                        ----------

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                          Stephen....that's EXACTLY why we ran the exp in college...all those yrs
                          ago...and its better now right????...feed the children!!!!! our elders should
                          be held in respect and taken care of if they do not have the means to do so
                          themselves....the exp we dressed as 'bums' bought cat food or dog food and
                          wine...we had enlisted the help of some elders to buy cat food and ask
                          "telling" questions while we surreptitiously took notes................
                          Chip

                        • CJE
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                            It started when our own kids were small. They would run in from
                            school and want to immediately get costumed and go Trick or Treating.
                            And then, when they came back, they were always 'too busy' to eat
                            dinner. So we started setting up a picnic buffet kind of thing with
                            hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, macaroni salad, etc. The next
                            year I brought the grille around front so I could help with the ToT
                            action.

                            Our kids would come in with their friends, who would also be hungry,
                            for the same reason, and so we would feed them. Then kids coming
                            around for candy would say they were hungry too - so they all ate
                            dinner instead of candy. Starting in the late summer the following
                            year they would ask if we were doing it again that year.

                            When it was cold we would have hot apple cider. A few years we gave
                            out matzo ball soup. Apple and pumpkin pie - all kinds of fall-picnic
                            stuff. But hot dogs always seemed the be the favorite of all the
                            kids, and as we observe it in the US - it's really their holiday, so
                            now it's all hot dogs.

                            It's gotten to be a regular thing - kids that originally came as kids
                            are now bringing their own children back. It's funny to me that they
                            all think I know them individually. Little girls say things like;
                            remember last year? I was a lady bug. But I'm Princess so-and-so
                            now. (implying that she is far too old and sophisticated at this
                            point to Ever be a baby-ish ladybug <g>) And my little brother was a
                            pumpkin. (fifty babies come as pumpkins every year <g>)

                            All year people occasionally recognize me - hey; you're the hot dog
                            man! <g>

                            stephen
                            -----------

                            On Nov 1, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:
                            steven,
                            Now that is a great idea! Compliments and kudos to you. What a great way

                            to meet your neighbors.

                            > I give out grilled hot dogs for Halloween so we typically get a
                            crowd.

                            > Despite the asshole vendor totally screwing up my hot dog and bun
                            > order, I managed to race around and got it all back here by noon.
                            >
                            > I'm still a little beat up from crawling into, out of, and around in,
                            > the crawlspace here under the library fifty or sixty times, but I got
                            > the new gas line for the using the new gas grille in the front of the
                            > house all fabricated, threaded, installed and ready to fly by about
                            two.

                            > Then I set up a saw horse & old-door table for the mustard, ketchup,
                            > candy, lemonade, and water.
                            >
                            > I was sort of iffy about the whole thing: It rained all morning and
                            > early afternoon. Plus some local (Philadelphia) sports teams are
                            > playing some apparently 'important' games today.
                            >
                            > So I thought we might get Mooshed. And at 4:00P there's wasn't a
                            > costume in sight.
                            >
                            > But I bought 400 hot dogs and had only six left at 7:55P <g>
                            >
                            > How about you all?
                            >
                            > How was your holiday?
                            >
                            > stephen
                            > ----------
                          • CJE
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                              Forget the doorbell - we're right out front.

                              You can't miss me - I'm dressed as The Cat In The Hat.

                              stephen
                              ------------

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                Ever read the label of a can of cat food, Stephen? I've long held the suspicion that identical products are just labeled differently - gourmet cat food for cats, various types of seafood or other tinned meats for humans. Same contents, different markets, different labels.

                                On another note, I believe that starving cats and dogs could be helped out by our sailing communities. If we could all deliver a bushel basket of fresh, de-feathered seagulls to our local animal shelters monthly, I'm sure the shelter employees could find ways to get these nutrients to the targeted hungry canines or felines.
                                James R. Muri

                                Novelist, Sailor
                                BUY: My e-Novels at http://blizzardguy.com/venture/
                                SITE: http://blizzardguy.com
                                BLOG: http://theostrichkiller.blogspot.com

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                  Jeff,

                                  I went to Google to educate myself on Hoover Hogs. They migrated from Mexico about two hundred years ago and spread out over much of the US. Since we don't eat them anymore there are lots of them in my area.

                                  Frank Schenk
                                  Agape C26 MKII
                                  Grapevine Lake
                                  Texas

                                  To prove to the armadillo that it could be done....badumbump!

                                  I read somewhere that ALL of Americas armadillo population can be traced to a batch that escaped from a crashed circus truck in western Fla. many years back.

                                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Bourne" <cbourne200@...> wrote:

                                  > 'Possum on the half shell' aren't only in TX anymore... They frequently are found by the roadside in our part of Florida (northwest)... We don't just have an 'alligator alley' (lower down in the peninsula), but quite often see the armadillo 'legs up' along the roadside...
                                  >
                                  > Charles Bourne
                                  > 1975 Columbia T-23 GEM # 357
                                  > Pensacola, FL

                                • CJE
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                    Seagulls might be a hit with cats. Especially since they taste like
                                    bad fish.

                                    I think your can-contents theory is likely accurate - I just think
                                    that the standards of product quality are simply lower for pet-
                                    intended foods.

                                    Nonethless; the idea of forced consumption still angers me.

                                    stephen
                                    ----------

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                      Harry,

                                      It must not be a joke because I see a lot of dead possums but have never seen a dead chicken.<bg>

                                      Frank Schenk
                                      Agape C26 MKII
                                      Grapevine Lake
                                      Texas

                                      The way I heard it was "to show the possums how". You tell that joke in
                                      the PNW to somebody who has never been to the south and all you get is
                                      a blank look.

                                      HJ

                                      jeff t wrote:
                                      > Why did the chicken cross the road???
                                      >

                                      > To prove to the armadillo that it could be done....badumbump!
                                      >

                                      > I read somewhere that ALL of Americas armadillo population can be traced to a batch that escaped from a crashed circus truck in western Fla. many years back.
                                      >
                                      > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Bourne" <cbourne200@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> 'Possum on the half shell' aren't only in TX anymore... They frequently are found by the roadside in our part of Florida (northwest)... We don't just have an 'alligator alley' (lower down in the peninsula), but quite often see the armadillo 'legs up' along the roadside...
                                      >>
                                      >> Charles Bourne
                                      >> 1975 Columbia T-23 GEM # 357
                                      >> Pensacola, FL

                                    • Harry James
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009

                                        jeff t wrote:
                                        > Why did the chicken cross the road???
                                        >

                                        > To prove to the armadillo that it could be done....badumbump!
                                        >

                                        > I read somewhere that ALL of Americas armadillo population can be traced to a batch that escaped from a crashed circus truck in western Fla. many years back.
                                        >
                                        > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Bourne" <cbourne200@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> 'Possum on the half shell' aren't only in TX anymore... They frequently are found by the roadside in our part of Florida (northwest)... We don't just have an 'alligator alley' (lower down in the peninsula), but quite often see the armadillo 'legs up' along the roadside...
                                        >>
                                        >> Charles Bourne
                                        >> 1975 Columbia T-23 GEM # 357
                                        >> Pensacola, FL

                                      • jeff t
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                          I can find mention of them in Texas starting 1849, The Mississippi though was an insurmountable barrier. A pair that escaped from a zoo/circus in Cocoa(middle 30's) is thought to be responsible for Florida's population. Although there is a different sub-family traced to a serviceman from Texas stationed near Hialeah in the forties, he let a pair go when discharged in 1944.

                                          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Schenk" <fdschenk@...> wrote:

                                          > Jeff,
                                          >
                                          > I went to Google to educate myself on Hoover Hogs. They migrated from Mexico about two hundred years ago and spread out over much of the US. Since we don't eat them anymore there are lots of them in my area.
                                          >
                                          > Frank Schenk
                                          > Agape C26 MKII
                                          > Grapevine Lake
                                          > Texas

                                        • Charles Bourne
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                            Interesting...

                                            I had always made the assumption that they all came from TX...

                                            Thanks for digging up the Florida side of the story.

                                            Charles Bourne
                                            1975 Columbia T-23 GEM # 357
                                            Pensacola, FL

                                          • lookoutnw@comcast.net
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                              Actually, Boh Shin Tang...  Dog Soup is very good.  It is very rich, and yes chip, Bahn Chahn is required...

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 1, 2009
                                                Them mangy, flea bittin rats be up here in the PNW!  I like coon.  Boiil it, then skim off the fat, then chunk it for chili.  Bear is the same way.  Greasy unless you boil the fat out of it first.