RE: CYOA - Busy, Busy, Busy

  • barbara levy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
      Happy new year, Mike, and all Columbia sailors!
      Free B is FREEZING here, with lows in the 30's. Got
      the mast back on last week, now onward and upward to
      sail repairs. Take heart, new owners! Refurbishing
      is a great way to get to know your boat, and friends!
      As for the weather,we watch Buffalo hockey (won't
      discuss the Panthers' record), and wait for the Pirate
      Captain to re-emerge. Maybe he's "off the Hook"?
      --- "Fellows, Michael" <fellows@...> wrote:
      > Hey -- Buffalo has it's revenge on all the CYOA
      > members north of D.C.,
      > Watch out or the frost man will come get you even in
      > Florida!
      >
      > MFellows

      making-the-rent-keeps-getting-in-the-way-of-what-I-planned-to-do-with-the-re

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • sgaber
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
        Rob:

        See what happens when you fall down on the job and don't keep up with your email assignments?
        You get too far behind to ever catch up.

        In answwer to your (possible rhetorical and certainly satirical) question no, that whole Yanmar thing was not preciptated by a loose allen screrw, although it may have been a minor factor.

        The fact is that the engine was not suited to that boat. Period.  That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

        To bring you up to date, right now, the new engine (much better for this boat)  is sitting on its new beds, with its new 18-gallon fuel tank, waiting for its new shaft.  I made a new panel out of  1/2" Starboard to fit over the outside of the forward cockpit bulkhead.  I made a smaller panel out of black Plexiglass to receive the new engine instruments.  I removed 3 of the 6 through-hulls, glassed over the holes  from thre former galley sinka dnhead compartment sink drains and the head outlet.  Don't need 2 more holes in thje boat just for the occasional sink drippings.  I'll put a bucket under there or a sump or somethin.  I installed new bronze through-hulls with new bronze ball valves for the cockpit scuppers and engine raw water intake. I put in new brass cockpit drains (which were standard sink drains from a plumbing supply store).

        But there are a few delays impeding progress.

        The new shaft can't be ordered till I put the rudder back on.  I removed the rudder (no small feat) because there was a crack around a good portion of the perimeter, starting at the top where the shaft emerges from the rudder.  I could stick a scewdriver in there and spread the two halves apart a bit.  I wanted to make sure the the intereior was not wet and the 1 1/4" bronze shaft and the welded frame insde were not corroded.  So I drilled four holes with a hole saw.  The rudder interior is hard as rock and bone-dry.  But there's no cloth inside there, just reson, slurry and random fibers. I injected penetraing epoxy and this solidified the separated pieces. I filled the holes I'd drilled with Marine-Tex.

        I want to put a couple layers of fiberglass  tape around the edge, with some in the middle to keep the airfoil shape.  My intent is to strengthen the rudder.  It may need this strengthening, cause I ground a bit off the leading edge in the way of the aperture.  I hope to be able to put maybe a 13" propeller in there. It may be possible to fill in some of the rudder portion of the aperture where there is enough space around the new prop. It appeared to me that a good portion of that empty space was being wasted.  If I can fill some of it in, it would make up for the area lost which I ground away.  If I do a good enough job, which of course, goes without saying, the rudder will be much stronger and will permit use of a larger propeller, two worthy goals..

        However. Mr. Fellows and company will be pleased to note that the past few days, it's been too cold here in the Central Gulf Coast of Florida to epoxy.  Egad! This ain't what I moved here for.

        I promised Sanderling I'd take her to a place where ice would never form on her decks, but it came close to breaking that promise last night.  Of course, this pales in comparison to what my friends from my home town (Philadelphia) are experiencing, and nothing comapered to Fellows and Mickel weather, but it's a disaster around here. Tourism, citrus crops, and Gaber morale all suffer.  I spent many years of misery working outside in that crap and I vowed never to work in the cold again, dammit.

        Right now, the sun is shining brightly, the thermometer is climbing above 50, and I'm gonna go spread some epoxy.

        See ya later.

        Steve Gaber
        C-31 Sanderling, #77
        Oldsmar, FL

[...]

        Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

      • Eric White
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
          Hi Steve,

          Glad to hear you are staying out of trouble.

          Maybe it's cool where you are, but the South River was
          frozen over Saturday. The wind came up Sunday morning and
          broke up the ice, but too late for Fitz and I to do our New
          Year's Eve Day sail. The West River was still mostly frozen
          over yesterday afternoon.

          What did you have to do to get your rudder off? I assume
          you had to remove the lower mount. Was there anything
          holding it on besides a couple of screws?

          ****************************
          Eric White
          "Pelago" Columbia 40, #10

          Columbia Yacht Owners Association website
          http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

          sgaber wrote:

> [...]
          > that there are
          > thoughts leaking out of your keyboard that I will never
          > understand, but I
          > will continue to try. Smiling.
          >
          > At any rate, if you're drydocked and working on it this
          > winter, or southern
          > sailing it, or just using the upright mast as a marker to
          > the tunnel that
          > leads to where you put the car on blocks before the great
          > thanksgiving snow
          > dump of the year 2000, (Yes, Michael, this is a back
          > handed poke at upstate
          > Siberia-ville) The happiest of new Milliniums to you all.
          > (And God Bless us
          > every one!)
          >
          > trHavins
          > C-22 #449 Wa-Ko
          > Stuart, Florida
          >
          > Where the chads are thicker than crab pots and a lot

          [Click Here!]

          > Columbia Yacht Owners Association:
          >
          > Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

          > columbiasailingyachts@...
          >
          > To Subscribe, send a message to:
          > columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

        • Larry Conroy HOOK
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
            ...whaaaaa laaaahhh...shezaaaam Mam'...
            "--Maybe he's "off the Hook"? "...or, maybe ?? HE IS THE HOOK !!!"
            'The RAIN IN SPAIN...LIES...MAINLY ...ON DER PLAINNK '
            WE FLORIDIANS BID YOU VISIT US....AND ..FREE B BARB ....HOW IS YOUR
            SMIRKIE SMILE NOW THAT I HAVE MISSED THE NEW YEARS' HUGGGG ???
            -TODAY , YES TODAY , IS A NEW MILLINIUM..AND BRINGS US ALL A GREAT
            GREAT SENSE OF FRESH-NESS...I'M OCCASIONALLY FRESH M'SELF !!!!
            BUT, WHILE'ST WALKING ON THE PORT DECK THIS MORNING, IT CAME TO ME,
            THAT...ALL OF THE GREAT SAILORS HERE IN NEVER-BE-LANDLOCKED-LAND
            HAVE ONE GREAT JOY.....BOATS AND SEAS AND SHORES AND THE BEST OF ALL
            ..THE LADIES !!! 'MMMMM YES...THE LADIES ...SO A TOAST TO THE GREAT
            WONDERFUL LADIES !! MAY THEY SMILE AND GREET US FOR-EVER-MORE!!!!AND
            WE THE SAME...FALL OUT ,CARRY ON, AND CARRY-AT-HAPPY-TUNE FOR SURE!
            HOOK
            -HAPPY NEW SMIRK'-
            - In columbiasailingyachts@egroups.com, barbara levy <blvy@y...>

          • sgaber
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
              Eric:

              Hooboy! The year (1980-81) we lived on the South River,  just north of the Riva Bridge, across from Mike's and Paul's, the river froze over, solid.  People were driving cars out on it.  No, thank you. I've had enough of solid water, except in my iced tea.

              At the bottom of Sanderling's keel, there's a heavy bronze casting that the bottom of the rudder post fits into.To remove Sanderling's rudder.  It was bolted to the keel with three 3/8" bronxe bolts, and tapped, so no nuts were needed to fasten it. But, after 34 years, it was indeed fastened. Only one of the bolts came off without argument.  The other two turned into choccolate chip cookies and crumbled.  I had to drill them out.  The oriiginal holes were not drilled quite straight, so I ended up drilling a few more holes in the keel and the casting than were originally intended.

              Filannly,with a lot of encouragement from a sledge hammer, the thing came off, but the rudder did not budge. It also needed the help of the sledge.  But before I could remove it from the boat, I had to dig a hole nearly 4 feet into the ground, removing about a ton of the broken concrete chunks that constitute the surface of the Ozona Boat Storage yard, plus a mountain of sand underlying that.  A few hundred gentle sledge taps on the rudder stock delivered it free of its bonds to the boat. I used gthe screw jack from my truck to lower the rudder to the ground.  Of course I had to put the jack on a few pieces of the Kubota shipping cradle across the hole I dug for the rudder. Once the rudder was shock-induced to come out of its shell, we lowered it onto thew jack, then removed the wood pieces covering the hole I'd dug, and down she came.

              I took the rudder heel casting to a local welding shop, where the guy braized, drilled and re-tapped the holes for $50.

              Today, the temperature rose to about 65 F and I was able to lay up a few layers of cloth and roving along the top edge of the rudder. Next, I'll sand off the fabric ends and other imperfections., put  pieces on the flats to blend out the increased thickness, and put 'er back on the boat.

              In the short term, like right now, I'm goin to sleep.

              Happy New year!

              Steve Gaber
              C-31 Sanderling, #77
              Oldsmar, FL

              FL     -----Original Message-----
              Havins <trthree@...>
              > To: Egroups-Columbia List

              <columbiasailingyachts@egroups.com>
              > Date: Saturday, December 30,
              2000 11:04 PM
              > Subject: CYOA - Busy, Busy, Busy
              >  I just
              logged onto the list for the first time since Dec
              > 8th.  (No
              real
              > excuse...just worked three jobs simultaneously in

              Dec...Yada-yada-yada...same old

              aking-the-rent-keeps-getting-in-the-way-of-what-I-planned-to-do-with-the-re

              st-of-my-life crap)  But the point is, I've got 545 new

              E-mails!  And this
              > wonderful club just keeps on a rolling (and
              pitching.  And
              > yawing)
              >
              > So, Stevies Yanmar mostly
              just had a missing allen nut on
              > the prop shaft? I
              > don't think
              anything that small has cost that much since
              > they quit procuring

              military replacement parts for Viet Nam.  We can't tell
              > Karen
              about
              > this...she'll have to use all her significant medical

              training to remove her
              > foot from the southern Gaber
              orifice.

              > Oh, and thanks Professor MsKisson for the
              definitive
              > treatise on moving it
              > through the water.  There
              are things in there that I think
              > even I can
              > understand, given
              enough time.

              > And thanks to captain Larry Conroy-Hook.  I am
              convinced
              > that there are
              > thoughts leaking out of your keyboard
              that I will never
              > understand, but I
              > will continue to try.
              Smiling.

              > At any rate, if you're drydocked and working on it
              this
              > winter, or southern
              > sailing it, or just using the upright
              mast as a marker to
              > the tunnel that
              > leads to where you put the
              car on blocks before the great
              > thanksgiving snow
              > dump of the
              year 2000, (Yes, Michael, this is a back
              > handed poke at upstate

              Siberia-ville)  The happiest of new Milliniums to you all.
              > (And God
              Bless us
              > every one!)
              >
              > trHavins
              > C-22 #449
              Wa-Ko
              > Stuart, Florida
              >
              > Where the chads are thicker than
              crab pots and a lot
              > harder to get off your

              boat.

              > Columbia Yacht Owners
              Association:

              href="http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/">http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

              columbiasailingyachts@...

              > To Subscribe, send a message
              to:
              > columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

              Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:

              eGroups Sponsor
                [Click Here!]

              > Columbia Yacht Owners
              Association:

              > Home:
              href="http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/">http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

              columbiasailingyachts@...

              > To Subscribe, send a message
              to:
              > columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

              Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:

              Columbia Yacht Owners Association:

              Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

            • Pelago C40 #10 Galesville MD Eric White
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                Steve,

                With all your talk of not being cold I figured you would drink
                everything neat. Come to think of it, what sailor would want anything
                on the rocks?

                You are such a lucky guy - you get to have all the fun. Your story
                about getting the rudder out really makes me look forward to freeing
                up my centerboard. I don't think I'll be digging a hole for that one.

                I asked about the rudder because I attempted to remove the lower
                casting (gudgeon or shoe, I think) from Pelago last year and I figure
                Charlie Morgan designed this part similarly on the 31 and 40.

                Pelago has a little play in the shaft and I figured I could shim it if
                I could get the casting off. I found 2 bronze flat head machine
                screws. Despite using an impact driver, the slots tore out of the
                heads before the screws budged. I drilled into them and used an
                EZ-out to unscrew them. I was pretty amazed that this worked.
                Luckily this preserved the original threads in the casting.

                The casting was still firmly attached. Closer inspection revealed a
                larger circle on the stbd side of the casting and a smaller one on the
                port side. They were close to the sizes for another 3/8" screw, but
                there was no sign of a screwdriver slot. Thinking this might be a
                tapered pin I hammered on the small side, but with no result.

                The play wasn't all that bad and I didn't want to resort to a BIG
                hammer to knock the casting off without knowing for certain that all
                the fasteners were removed. I've broken enough stuff. ;-)

                I consulted with Mark Cole (C-40 #54) and he said the casting on his
                boat only had two screws and he hammered the casting off like you did.
                If I have some spare time (ha ha) this winter maybe I'll drill a
                small hole into the mystery circle and see if I hit fiberglass.

                ****************************
                Eric White
                "Pelago" C-40, #10

                It's a big Bay,
                someone has to sail it.

                --- In columbiasailingyachts@egroups.com, "sgaber" <sgaber@f...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
                  cAPTAINS BARB :
                  PAY NO ATTENTION TO HOW DER KAYAK MOVES THRU THE WATER, BUT,
                  WATCH FOR KAYAKER NEAR SUNRISE SERENADE OR ALLEGHENY MOON BETWEEN
                  FEB,APRIL,JUNE,AUGUST AFTER WE RESURRECT HENY THE VIII and ALL THE
                  FREE 'B'S THAT ARE COMING OUR WAY HERE IN FLORIDA. IF MY SUSPICIONS
                  ARE CORRECT,... THEY SHOULD BRING A SLEEPING BAG/PILLOW/AND
                  TOOTHBRUSH.
                  SAY HI TO THE 3 CHEERS AND CHEER FOR 3 TEAM ALSO.
                  -REMEMBER SAILORS: -- HOOK IS A HOST FOR DREAMERS AND PRAYERS --
                  BARB:
                  WHAT FAVORITE RESTAURANT DO YOU ENJOY IN THE 'WAFFLE HOUSE'
                  STYLE ON HWY 92 BY THE KOA SOUTH OF I-4 3 MILES ON LEFT?
                  IS IT OPEN AT 6AM AND 6PM ON THE HENRY DAYS . OHH HENRY!
                  JANUARY 27 28TH
                  I'LL BRING THOSE 2 CENT CHECKS FOR THE 'EAT LIKE A KING' BREAKFAST.
                  WHITE GMC VAN WITH 'GRACE' ON BACK WINDOW.
                  HAVENS....WILL SHOW UP AT 6PM....UNLESS 6AM IS OK I'LL HAVE THE
                  GREEN KAYAK ON ROOF 'TALLYWACKER2'
                  BRING SOME 'TREASURE HIDING'...BURIED TREASURE IS ISAIAH 53,PSALM37
                  ANY BIBLE WILL DO.
                  WE CAN DISCUSS A QUARTERLY ASSEMBLANCE OF 'RUM-RUNNERS FROM UP NORTH'
                  I'LL HAVE ENOUGH TENTS WITH ME FOR ALL ROWDIES WITH YANKEE ACCENTS.
                  I'M FROM MICHIGAN SO I'M A MOTOR CITY TALKER ME'SELF.
                  JAN 27,28 6AM-&6PM
                  ' FALL OUT , CARRY ON , AND KEEP LITES ON THE PORCH FOR Y'ALL '
                  HOOK
                  wrote:
                  > Happy new year, Mike, and all Columbia sailors!
                  > Free B is FREEZING here, with lows in the 30's. Got
                  > the mast back on last week, now onward and upward to
                  > sail repairs. Take heart, new owners! Refurbishing
                  > is a great way to get to know your boat, and friends!
                  > As for the weather,we watch Buffalo hockey (won't
                  > discuss the Panthers' record), and wait for the Pirate
                  > Captain to re-emerge. Maybe he's "off the Hook"?
                  > --- "Fellows, Michael" <fellows@b...> wrote:
                  > > Hey -- Buffalo has it's revenge on all the CYOA
                  > > members north of D.C.,
                  > > Watch out or the frost man will come get you even in
                  > > Florida!
                  > >
                  > > MFellows

                • Larry Conroy HOOK
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
                    ASK AND ORDER 8BG10 EGGS OVER OR TL11 SCRAMBLED W/SUNNYSIDE UP
                    JAN IS A 'REST-OF-OUR-LIFE-SAILING-CLUB' SAN IN DER SHOES HOOK
                    --- In columbiasailingyachts@egroups.com, "Larry Conroy HOOK"

                  • Mark Cole
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
                      Eric,

                      I don't remember discussing the rudder shoe with you, but I know (now at least) that there are 3
                      screws holding the shoe to the keel - not two. Sorry if I mislead you. The reason there is a circle and
                      not a screwhead showing is because the screws are countersunk a bit into the shoe and faired with
                      putty. If you pry at the putty with a screwdriver, it should fall away to reveal a bronze slotted
                      machine screwhead. The reason there is a big circle on the starboard side of the shoe and a small
                      circle on the port is that the shoe is tapped on the port side to capture the screw threads and
                      countersunk on the starboard side to fit the screwhead.

                      I also had play in my rudder due to the bearing wearing away over time. I fixed it by manufacturing a
                      new bearing out of a piece of thin-walled copper pipe. I cut off about a 1 inch wide (width is
                      determined by depth of bearing in shoe) section of pipe whose ID was just larger than the rudder post
                      OD and removed a horizontal cutout from it that would form an exact ID to match the rudderpost OD
                      when it was compressed together (1.5 inches, I think). I press-fitted this bearing into the shoe
                      bearing and reattached the shoe.

                      The above description is probably confusing, as this is one of those things better described with a
                      drawing. My choice of "fix" was due more to convenience and availability of parts (my boat was in a
                      marine junkyard when I did it) than it was to the most appropriate method. I imagine a bronze or
                      delrin bearing made to exact specs on a lathe might be better.

                      The machine screws holding the shoe on were pretty much pink and crumbly and disintegrated when I
                      tried to remove them. I ended up drilling them out - which was very easy given their condition.
                      Luckily, the shoe is next to impossible to remove with them off anyway. I had to bang and pry on it
                      like Steve did to get it off. I replace two of the screws with longer ones that hang out about 0.75
                      inch from the shoe. I attached a zinc to these two screws for galvanic protection, as the shoe and
                      post are bronze, the bearing is copper and there is a small stainless spacer at the bottom of the
                      bearing for the post to rest on (was this really original?). I have to replace the zinc every two years,
                      so I guess it is doing something beneficial.

                      Hope this helps,

                      Mark Cole
                      Echo, C-40

                      --- In columbiasailingyachts@egroups.com, " Pelago C40 #10 Galesville MD Eric White" <ewhite@m...>