Summer voyaging - Pacific NW

  • Jack_Rothrock
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
      Folks: Been listening in but not participating much. A lot of names
      from our past Pacific NW Columbia Rendezvous' have been active. Jean
      and I are planning a five month cruise this summer on Rondelet, our
      1971 Columbia 34 MK II. Plan is to do a 10 day south sound shakedown
      cruise first part of May - head back up to Everett to fix whatever
      breaks and provision; then head north with a plan to return late
      September. If anyone is planning on being "up North" this summer, lets
      keep in touch. BTW, "up North" is defined as spending most of the time
      between the Broughton Islands (across from the North end of Vancouver
      Island) and southern Alaska. No specific itinerary other than taking
      our time to enjoy what we find.

      Jack & Jean
      S/V Rondelet
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
        Keep in touch if you are getting all the way into AK, I would love to
        see the new upholstery. You have the right approach, it is a long way up
        the passage and sailboat owners tend to bite off to much and end up
        powering all the time to make their schedule. When I used to fly the
        SEAK area all the time I could go all summer and only see 2-3 boats
        under sail, all the rest would be under power with the sail cover on.
        Getting as far as you get without setting goals is a better way to go.

        Thought you were looking at a new boat?

        Should I save some varnishing for Jean??

        HJ

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
          Jan and I will be on the water down here in the south during your early voyaging.  We'll make an occasional hail on 16 for you.  Have a great trip!
           James R. Muri

          Novelist, Sailor
          BUY: My e-Novels at http://blizzardguy.com/venture/
          SITE: http://blizzardguy.com
          BLOG: http://theostrichkiller.blogspot.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
            Harry: I understand the amount of "motoring" you witnessed flying
            between AK and Seattle. The last time we spent three months in the
            Broughton's we put 291 hours on the engine and only logged 29 total
            hours of sailing (other than sailing across the Strait of Juan de Fuca,
            Straits of Georgia, Queen Charlotte Strait and one way on Johnstone
            Strait...we didn't have much wind at all. Jean took over 2000 pictures
            and most of them show a glassy calm on the water. Once you get up into
            the fiords...you just don't get much wind.

            Not sure if we will make it all the way to AK. We were thinking about
            going to Alaska when we departed for our last cruise and ended up having
            too much fun exploring the Broughton's. Never made it north of Cape
            Caution on that trip. I'm with you...why spend so much time just to
            "get there" when you are missing so much as you "pass by."

            We did come close to buying another boat (1994 Pacific Seacraft 37) but
            with the economy going downhill...we just didn't think it made sense.
            Besides, when we are having sundowners in the cockpit in some
            picturesque anchorage - we are having just as much fun as the folks in
            the Pacific Seacraft at 20% of the cost.

            Jim: We'll keep our eyes and ears open for you and Jan in South Sound.

            Regards, Jack & Jean

            S/V Rondelet

            1971 Columbia 34 MK II

          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
              The winds in the narrow passages tend to be light but boats continue to
              motor even when the wind blows in the open sounds. If you don't make it
              here I know it will be because you are having too much fun there.

              HJ