Birthday memorial

  • Pete Malone
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
      With the talk of Chinese New Year, and birthdays, I am reminded that
      the other day while cleaning one of those take out containers I get
      from the Chinese restaurant in prparation for mixing up a batch of
      epoxy, I recalled Robert Gainer mentioning using the same type
      container for the same purpose.
      Also, I think his passing occurred last year, just before his birthday,
      if I'm not mistaken. I think I correctly recall that his birthdate was
      in February, so I think we may be nigh upon the date of his passing, if
      it is not only just gone by.

      Just a quiet reflection, while busy doing my chores....
      ~pete
    • Pete Malone
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
        Last post I could find from Bob was Feb 9, 2008, concerning keelbolts.

        Here is a link to a memorial:

        http://www.thebeaconinstitute.org/institute/gainer.php
        <http://www.thebeaconinstitute.org/institute/gainer.php>

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Malone"
        <petemalone@...> wrote:

        > With the talk of Chinese New Year, and birthdays, I am reminded that
        > the other day while cleaning one of those take out containers I get
        > from the Chinese restaurant in prparation for mixing up a batch of
        > epoxy, I recalled Robert Gainer mentioning using the same type
        > container for the same purpose.
        > Also, I think his passing occurred last year, just before his
        birthday,
        > if I'm not mistaken. I think I correctly recall that his birthdate was
        > in February, so I think we may be nigh upon the date of his passing,
        if
        > it is not only just gone by.
        >
        > Just a quiet reflection, while busy doing my chores....
        > ~pete

      • niebur32
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
          Actually, Bob's birthday was April 7. I know because it is mine, too.

          --Ernst

          PS Frank, Happy Birthday!

          <petemalone@...> wrote:

          > Last post I could find from Bob was Feb 9, 2008, concerning keelbolts.
          >
          > Here is a link to a memorial:
          >
          > http://www.thebeaconinstitute.org/institute/gainer.php
          > <http://www.thebeaconinstitute.org/institute/gainer.php>
          >

          > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Malone"
          > <petemalone@> wrote:
          > >
          > > With the talk of Chinese New Year, and birthdays, I am reminded that
          > > the other day while cleaning one of those take out containers I get
          > > from the Chinese restaurant in prparation for mixing up a batch of
          > > epoxy, I recalled Robert Gainer mentioning using the same type
          > > container for the same purpose.
          > > Also, I think his passing occurred last year, just before his
          > birthday,
          > > if I'm not mistaken. I think I correctly recall that his birthdate was
          > > in February, so I think we may be nigh upon the date of his passing,
          > if
          > > it is not only just gone by.
          > >
          > > Just a quiet reflection, while busy doing my chores....
          > > ~pete

        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
            I save all my cottage cheese, sourcream, cream cheese and yogurt
            containers, run them through the dishwasher (top shelf so they don't
            melt). Great for mixing epoxy, storing small amounts of paint between
            jobs etc.

            HJ

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
              It should be mentioned as a safety note that if several ounces or more of
              catalyzed epoxy or Polyester resin are allowed to set in a thin plastic
              container, the heat from the catastrophic kick-off can melt the container.

              > I save all my cottage cheese, sourcream, cream cheese and yogurt
              > containers, run them through the dishwasher (top shelf so they don't
              > melt). Great for mixing epoxy, storing small amounts of paint between
              > jobs etc.
              >
              > HJ

            • David Morgan
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                So while the said resins are hardening the container is softening?

                So my finger prints are not longer available on the container 'cause it melted....

                Jim is there a plot device in this?

                NEW SUBJECT:

                My C-36 candidate #3 has just related that he is a "new" owner.... Don't know the rest of the story yet.

                David
                Bremerton, WA
                1968 C-22 #1109
                "Eaglet"

                It should be mentioned as a safety note that if several ounces or more of
                catalyzed epoxy or Polyester resin are allowed to set in a thin plastic
                container, the heat from the catastrophic kick-off can melt the container.

                > I save all my cottage cheese, sourcream, cream cheese and yogurt
                > containers, run them through the dishwasher (top shelf so they don't
                > melt). Great for mixing epoxy, storing small amounts of paint between
                > jobs etc.
                >
                > HJ

              • Pete Malone
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                  Thanks for the clarification, Ernst.
                  All said, it is a common thing for me to reflect on the suggestions
                  and expressions I read in this group's messages, while working.
                  ~pete

                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "niebur32"

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                    These are exothermic reactions and the rate of reaction is temperature
                    accelerated. As the temperature goes up, so does the rate of reaction, (thermal run
                    away). They also do not conduct heat very well. If you get more than a couple
                    ounces kicking off in a thin plastic cup, the heat of the run away reaction
                    will be enough to melt the container and possibly cause skin burns.

                    Los Lunas, NM >

                    > So while the said resins are hardening the container is softening?
                    >
                    > So my finger prints are not longer available on the container 'cause it
                    > melted....
                    >
                    > Jim is there a plot device in this?

                  • Darrell Parker
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                      I had an interesting experience when manufacturing my new hatch covers on the C26MKII. I was also using the plastic containers provided by the very establishment that sold me the epoxy and though they got soft they did not melt all the way through. I then got the idea of using old Corningware cookware to mix my epoxy After I completed mixing and applying the epoxy the cleanup was simple. First I used a bakers spatula to remove the excess and deposit it in a plastic bag or disposal. What was left I allowed to dry to a brittle consistancy, I then used a small screwdriver to chip away the leftovers and my container was ready for reuse. My other idea was to take a torch to it but not sure if I would appreciate the chemical cloud that would have ensued during that process.

                      Darrell
                      Still a boat with no name
                      C26MKII
                      Pt San Pablo, SF Bay, CA

                      ________________________________
                      These are exothermic reactions and the rate of reaction is temperature
                      accelerated. As the temperature goes up, so does the rate of reaction, (thermal run
                      away). They also do not conduct heat very well. If you get more than a couple
                      ounces kicking off in a thin plastic cup, the heat of the run away reaction
                      will be enough to melt the container and possibly cause skin burns.

                      Los Lunas, NM >

                      > So while the said resins are hardening the container is softening?
                      >
                      > So my finger prints are not longer available on the container 'cause it
                      > melted....
                      >
                      > Jim is there a plot device in this?

                    • Lookoutnw
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                        Not possibly, it DARN SURE WILL!!! I guess I read that once or something.

                        Jim & Chong Lussier
                        KE7YOP
                        SV Dawn Treader
                        74 Columbia / Sailcrafter 45 #201
                        Olympia, Wa

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                          Darrell,
                          The modern way is to go to some place like Target and get a Silicon baking
                          bowl or muffin cups or something. Once the resin sets, just flex them some
                          and the old stuff falls right out.

                          Los Lunas, NM >

                          > I had an interesting experience when manufacturing my new hatch covers on
                          > the C26MKII. I was also using the plastic containers provided by the very
                          > establishment that sold me the epoxy and though they got soft they did not melt
                          > all the way through. I then got the idea of using old Corningware cookware to
                          > mix my epoxy After I completed mixing and applying the epoxy the cleanup was
                          > simple. First I used a bakers spatula to remove the excess and deposit it in a
                          > plastic bag or disposal. What was left I allowed to dry to a brittle
                          > consistancy, I then used a small screwdriver to chip away the leftovers and my
                          > container was ready for reuse. My other idea was to take a torch to it but not
                          > sure if I would appreciate the chemical cloud that would have ensued during that
                          > process.
                          >
                          > Darrell
                          > Still a boat with no name
                          > C26MKII
                          > Pt San Pablo, SF Bay, CA

                        • Darrell Parker
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                            Bruce - They are available at the cookware factory outlet as well. Hadn't thought about that one. But how long will I have to wait for them to get to the GoodWill so I can get them for 50 cents a piece like corningware?

                            :)

                            ________________________________
                            The modern way is to go to some place like Target and get a Silicon baking
                            bowl or muffin cups or something. Once the resin sets, just flex them some
                            and the old stuff falls right out.

                            Los Lunas, NM >

                            > I had an interesting experience when manufacturing my new hatch covers on
                            > the C26MKII. I was also using the plastic containers provided by the very
                            > establishment that sold me the epoxy and though they got soft they did not melt
                            > all the way through. I then got the idea of using old Corningware cookware to
                            > mix my epoxy After I completed mixing and applying the epoxy the cleanup was
                            > simple. First I used a bakers spatula to remove the excess and deposit it in a
                            > plastic bag or disposal. What was left I allowed to dry to a brittle
                            > consistancy, I then used a small screwdriver to chip away the leftovers and my
                            > container was ready for reuse. My other idea was to take a torch to it but not
                            > sure if I would appreciate the chemical cloud that would have ensued during that
                            > process.
                            >
                            > Darrell
                            > Still a boat with no name
                            > C26MKII
                            > Pt San Pablo, SF Bay, CA

                          • ed rankin
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                              any of the microwave dinner or side dishes work great, use and throw away

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                                That's a nice little twist that would be right at home on CSI, David.
                                 James R. Muri

                                Novelist, Sailor
                                BUY: My e-Novels at http://blizzardguy.com/venture/
                                SITE: http://blizzardguy.com
                                BLOG: http://theostrichkiller.blogspot.com

                                ________________________________

                                It should be mentioned as a safety note that if several ounces or more of
                                catalyzed epoxy or Polyester resin are allowed to set in a thin plastic
                                container, the heat from the catastrophic kick-off can melt the container.

                                > I save all my cottage cheese, sourcream, cream cheese and yogurt
                                > containers, run them through the dishwasher (top shelf so they don't
                                > melt). Great for mixing epoxy, storing small amounts of paint between
                                > jobs etc.
                                >
                                > HJ

                              • Doug Ward
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                                  Darrell,
                                  When are you gonna name that poor 26 of yours?
                                  Doug Ward
                                • Harry James
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                                    Thats a fact, epoxy can cook off with great enthusiasm. 95% of the time
                                    I have everything figured, pieces pre fit, clamps all ready but every
                                    once in a while I am not far enough ahead and the first clue is a column
                                    of smoke from the epoxy cup. So far the only damage has been wasted epoxy.

                                    HJ

                                  • Sailwood@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 28, 2009
                                      Rather than a cup, and if you have to mix a fair amount of the stuff, put
                                      the mix in a flat, open pan to keep it cool and slow the reaction.

                                      Doug Soden
                                      ASPEN Columbia 29 #131
                                      Great Bay, NJ

                                      _Kbjmjrb@..._ (mailto:Kbjmjrb@...) wrote:
                                      > It should be mentioned as a safety note that if several ounces or more of
                                      > catalyzed epoxy or Polyester resin are allowed to set in a thin plastic
                                      > container, the heat from the catastrophic kick-off can melt the container.
                                      >

                                      > Bruce K
                                      > Challenger # 74, "Ouroboros"
                                      > Los Lunas, NM
                                      >

                                      >> I save all my cottage cheese, sourcream, cream cheese and yogurt
                                      >> containers, run them through the dishwasher (top shelf so they don't
                                      >> melt). Great for mixing epoxy, storing small amounts of paint between
                                      >> jobs etc.
                                      >>
                                      >> HJ

                                      steps!
                                      cemailfooterNO62)

                                    • Eric White
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 28, 2009
                                        When I'm done working with epoxy I leave the stirring stick in the
                                        container. When it hardens I squeeze the sides and push on the bottom
                                        to loosen the epoxy while pulling on the stick. The epoxy often comes
                                        out in one big piece. If the container is resilient enough, it can be
                                        used many times.

                                        I have found a local source of excellent containers. They are a little
                                        pricey, but they work really well once you get the Wonton soup out of
                                        them.

                                        Eric

                                        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                                        <welshman@...> wrote:

                                        > I save all my cottage cheese, sourcream, cream cheese and yogurt
                                        > containers, run them through the dishwasher (top shelf so they don't
                                        > melt). Great for mixing epoxy, storing small amounts of paint between
                                        > jobs etc.
                                        >
                                        > HJ
                                        >
                                        > Pete Malone wrote:
                                        > > With the talk of Chinese New Year, and birthdays, I am reminded that
                                        > > the other day while cleaning one of those take out containers I get
                                        > > from the Chinese restaurant in prparation for mixing up a batch of
                                        > > epoxy, I recalled Robert Gainer mentioning using the same type
                                        > > container for the same purpose.
                                        > > Also, I think his passing occurred last year, just before his
                                        birthday,
                                        > > if I'm not mistaken. I think I correctly recall that his birthdate
                                        was
                                        > > in February, so I think we may be nigh upon the date of his
                                        passing, if
                                        > > it is not only just gone by.
                                        > >
                                        > > Just a quiet reflection, while busy doing my chores....
                                        > > ~pete

                                      • Eric White
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 28, 2009
                                          Doug,

                                          Sometimes it takes a while for you to discover a name that feels right
                                          - like Mike Fellows did with his 26 MkII.

                                          <grin>

                                          Eric

                                          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Ward"
                                          <dougward2@...> wrote:

                                          > Darrell,
                                          > When are you gonna name that poor 26 of yours?
                                          > Doug Ward

                                        • Dan Johnson
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 28, 2009
                                            Harry, add to that the plastic coffee containers I get with Folgers inside that I have to dispose of each morning first before I can use them for removed oil filters, oily rags, etc. to be taken to the recycling facility.  Add to that the storage of nails, garage workbench detriss, etc and they come in pretty handy as well.

                                            Dan Johnson
                                            Intrepid
                                            On the hard in North East, Md

                                            Pete Malone wrote:
                                            > With the talk of Chinese New Year, and birthdays, I am reminded that
                                            > the other day while cleaning one of those take out containers I get
                                            > from the Chinese restaurant in prparation for mixing up a batch of
                                            > epoxy, I recalled Robert Gainer mentioning using the same type
                                            > container for the same purpose.
                                            > Also, I think his passing occurred last year, just before his birthday,
                                            > if I'm not mistaken. I think I correctly recall that his birthdate was
                                            > in February, so I think we may be nigh upon the date of his passing, if
                                            > it is not only just gone by.
                                            >
                                            > Just a quiet reflection, while busy doing my chores....
                                            > ~pete

                                          • Harry James
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 28, 2009
                                              I have a different approach to screws, fasteners and small hardware. I
                                              used to store stuff in Tea tins ( I don't drink coffee), with labels.
                                              You have to have shelving to hold them and you always end up opening
                                              lots of tins when you are looking for stuff. Years ago I was in a small
                                              shop in a Wester AK village and I saw what has become my solution to
                                              fastener and small part storage. He had a sheet of 3/4 in ply wood
                                              painted white fastened to the wall with rows of large finish nails. On
                                              the finish nails he hung zip lock freezer bags with sorted parts and
                                              fasteners. Instant visibility, you didn't have to look through tins. The
                                              bags can hold amazing weights. Bags are in the background of this pic.

                                              http://tritonclass.org/mir/144ps15.jpg

                                              HJ

                                              Dan Johnson wrote:
                                              > Harry, add to that the plastic coffee containers I get with Folgers inside that I have to dispose of each morning first before I can use them for removed oil filters, oily rags, etc. to be taken to the recycling facility. Add to that the storage of nails, garage workbench detriss, etc and they come in pretty handy as well.
                                              >
                                              > Dan Johnson
                                              > Intrepid
                                              > On the hard in North East, Md

                                            • Harry James
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 29, 2009
                                                This from the Introduction of Cruising the NW Coast, I am sure it is
                                                common knowledge to Geologists. My knowledge of Geology can be inscribed
                                                on the head of a pin and leave lots of room for dancing angels. Anyway I
                                                found it interesting and those of you who are resting up before tackling
                                                snow shoveling again like I am might also.

                                                *SHOALING CHARACTERISTICS OF HEADLANDS AND COVES*

                                                The near-shore cruiser needs to consider the cause and effect of
                                                headland erosion along the north coast to better understand the
                                                formation of reefs and shoal water.All the forces of the elements;
                                                earthquakes, sun, wind, wave, and wind driven rain during storms come
                                                into play. During the summer the southern exposures cook under all the
                                                damaging rays of the sun, while the northwestern shoreline is merely
                                                caressed by the prevailing summer swell and waves.

                                                During the winter the same cooked southern exposures are bombarded with
                                                the full fury of storm-force wind-driven torrential rains and at the
                                                same time being pounded at the shoreline by gigantic surf; all from a
                                                south to southwesterly direction This results in a natural tendency,
                                                over eons, to straighten out the shoreline by eroding back the headlands
                                                and filling in the bights.

                                                Even with casual observation it will be seen that the major part of
                                                eroded headlands are generally eroded from a southwest direction,
                                                displacing the softer material to the benefit of the coves and beaches,
                                                leaving harder and sometimes submerged rocks behind at the headlands.

                                                During winter southwesterly storms, in coves that are exposed to large
                                                surf, the sand in the coves and on the beaches tends to get displaced
                                                offshore. During the spring and summer months the prevailing
                                                northwesterly swell and waves redeposit the sands, stored offshore
                                                during the winter, back into the coves and onto the beaches.

                                                This generally explains why there are rocks and reefs at the headlands
                                                and sand bottoms and beaches in the coves. This also generally explains,
                                                depending on the extremes of exposure, the tendency of there being more
                                                hazards around the south heads of coves than around the north heads.

                                                It is not only beneficial for your boat, but also extends life
                                                expectancy if you pay attention.
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 29, 2009
                                                  Good information, Harry!  Thank you!

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jan 31, 2009
                                                    Now THAT is a neat and inexpensive way to do it!  I had a friend in the injection moulding business that was going to design a pegboard holder for me to use all the babyfood jars I saved from when my kids were just getting onto solid foods.  He passed over the bar before he was able to do that.  I've tried a number of things but freezer bags are just so simple, I didn't think of it before!

                                                    Thanks, Harry!

                                                    Dan Johnson
                                                    Intrepid
                                                    On the hard in North East, Md

                                                    Dan Johnson wrote:
                                                    > Harry, add to that the plastic coffee containers I get with Folgers inside that I have to dispose of each morning first before I can use them for removed oil filters, oily rags, etc. to be taken to the recycling facility. Add to that the storage of nails, garage workbench detriss, etc and they come in pretty handy as well.
                                                    >
                                                    > Dan Johnson
                                                    > Intrepid
                                                    > On the hard in North East, Md

                                                  • Darrell Parker
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                                      when i get the stencil kit to paint it on. lookin for a job so i can keep it now
                                                      :}