Have you ever towed a C26, or similar boat on a trailer?

  • N2UYB
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
      I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever towed a C26 MKII
      or similar boat and what equipment it took. It looks as though it
      would be top heavy, but maybe not given the ballast below. I have seen
      pictures of many custom and home built trailers. Most towed by pickup,
      but some by SUV, even a Jeep Cherokee. Thanks for you comments. Gypsy 567
    • Ratherbnnc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
        I recently towed my C24 with 3 ft fixed keel.The trailer had extended bunks
        to allow for the keel. I towed with a Ford Pickup. I would suggest the truck
        have an electric brake module and the trailer equipped with electric brakes.
        It makes the towing, starting, and stopping much better. I used two ratchet
        straps ( one every 10 feet or so) and blocked the keel on the trailer.

        Watt

        In a message dated 1/17/2009 10:44:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        columbia26mkii@... writes:

        I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever towed a C26 MKII
        or similar boat and what equipment it took. It looks as though it
        would be top heavy, but maybe not given the ballast below. I have seen
        pictures of many custom and home built trailers. Most towed by pickup,
        but some by SUV, even a Jeep Cherokee. Thanks for you comments. Gypsy 567

        steps!
        cemailfooterNO62)

      • Frank Schenk
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
          I have towed my C26 MKII several times. The least vehicle I ever used was a 1965 Ford 1/2 ton pickup. It had a four speed transmission and beefed up rear springs. Later I used a 3/4 ton Dodge Camper pickup with automatic transmission and a one ton rear axle. Although I have never used one, I would recommend a one ton truck with automatic transmission. It all depends on the driver and his or her experience. I have known farmers who pulled a 5 ton trailer loaded with cows using a 1/2 ton truck.

          Actually the CG of a boat is lower than you think. Remember that the keel is almost half the total weight.

          Frank Schenk
          Agape C26 MKII
          Grapevine Lake
          Texas

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
            26 no.  I have and will again tow my C22 with my F150, 1/2 ton pickup.

            I towed it half way across Washington State on a purpose built trailer with the tall supports and a keel pad.  The 22's weigh 3000 lbs.  1000 of that is in the fin keel.

            I used my 1977 F150 with a 300 inch 6 cylinder engine and manual transmission.  I was slowed down a little in the mountains.

            The day I picked it up, in the first 10 miles of towing the left bearing gave out.  We had put grease in both bearings before moving but it didn't help.  I had visions of the wheel falling off and the boat over-balancing the tilted trailer and falling port side onto the road........  I got to a wide spot and became one of the first in Washington to replace my bearings on the side of the road last year.  Oh what fun.

            David
            Bremerton, WA
            1968 C-22 #1109
            "Eaglet"

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
              I have. I towed a Laser 28 from Santa Fe, NM to Pensacola FL. and my boat 134
              miles one way from the lake to home and back. Definitely have a dual axle
              trailer. Check and grease the trailer bearings and figure on at least one flat
              tier per 500 miles. A 3/4 ton truck or van will work if it has an over 400 cc
              engine, but a one ton is better, but it depends on the route and altitude. Some
              routes are a bit hilly, A Class III hitch is a must. Load equalizers do work
              and help a lot. Frank is right, get an auto trans if available. Make sure you
              have a jack big enough to lift the trailer and boat. With a beam. of 8.5 feet,
              you probably do not need any permits but check each state on the route on
              line. Wide load permits are available on line if needed. Don't go fast, don't push
              it. Figure on about 300 miles per day. Know your minimum clearance and be
              very mindful when pulling under gas station and motel roofs. Every time you stop,
              grab each trailer wheel bearing housing and check for excess heat. When you
              get to your destination, let everything cool down before backing the trailer in
              the water.

            • sgaber@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
                The boat is not top-heavy. That chunk of ballast underneath keeps the CG pretty low. It does need to be tied down securely though.

                When I worked for The Boat gallery, I towed all kinds of boats with my Dodge Ramcharger with a 318 CID engnine and 4-speed maual transmission. I think the heaviest boat I towed wiith that truck was a Cape Dory 28, which is probably consioderably heavier than a C26MkII. It labored a bit comong over the very long and high St. George's Briidge crossing the Chesapepake and Del;aware Canal, but did fine otherwise.

                I don't know what the towong limit of a Jeep Cherokee is, but one with a V-8 should probably do it. I'm not sure my 1998 Cherokee witht the 4.0L six could pull it. Maybe, if the trip wasn't too hilly.

                You need a tailer with at least two axles and preferably electric brakes.

                Steve Gaber
                Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77
                Oldsmar, FL

                --
              • Bill Casnovsky
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
                  Gypsy 567,

                  I towed my C26 1300 miles on a home built tandem axle trailer. Electric brakes. My tow vehicle was a Ford F350, 1 ton pickup with powerstroke diesel engine. I was lucky and had no mishaps or break downs. I have some CAD drawings of the trailer if you ever have interest.

                  Bill Caz.
                  C26MK2, Banshee
                  Austin, TX.