Columbia 30 for sale in Virginia

  • Larry Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi all,
      I drove over to Reedville yesterday to look at a Columbia 30, 1973
      model. Cored hull is delaminated, but it doesn't seem to affect the
      integrity of the boat. Bow deck is soft. A previous owner attempted a
      repair but it needs to be recored. There is some cracking of laminate
      just behind the bow along the toe rail that needs attention. Topsides
      and cockpit/cabin top need paint. Mast, boom standing rigging and
      running rigging seem sound, and all of the winches are good, but could
      probably use a good r & r. There is some water in the bilge,from leaky
      ports, but the keel straps and nuts seem solid. The fibreglass sole
      needs some support from underneath. The cockpit sole is solid.
      Chainplates and bulkheads are clean and tight.
      Boat has an Atomic 4 that runs, according to the owner.Engine and
      engine room are very clean,considering the age.
      Were I to buy the boat, I would not hesitate to sail her as is, from
      Reedville to Urbanna, but then would want to begin repairs. There are
      a few other minor issues, but for the price, the boat should be a good
      buy if you're not afraid of some hard labor. Material expense would be
      relatively low. A couple of months of weekends, and a couple thousand
      dollars would put this boat in good stead. I don't have the time, or
      the money right now, so I passed on it.
      Oh....the price....$500 or best offer. Boat is on the hard, mast is
      stepped, sails are on. Has a Harken jib furler.
      Owner is 4 hours away, and plans to destroy the boat if it's not gone
      soon. He can't afford the storage costs.
      The boat is coast guard documented thru Jan.31, 2009.
      Here's a link to the Craigslist ad. I have contact information for the
      seller if you want to contact him directly.

      http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/boa/972564382.html

      Larry Wilson
      Richmond,Va.
    • KGMcGhee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
        Larry,

        Did you see the sails, etc.?

        We have a C 28 but the sails might work and if the roller furler was decent,
        it might be worth buying and scrapping the boat to get the sails, furler,
        etc . . . I imagine the A 4 could be resold too.

        Thanks,
        Kevin in Laurel, MD

        In a message dated 01/02/2009 12:28:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        radicalcy@... writes:

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
        http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

        Home:
        http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

        **************Stay up-to-date on the latest news - from fashion trends to
        celebrity break-ups and everything in between.
        (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000024)

      • Ratherbnnc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
          Larry,

          What about the keel on this boat?? Is it on a trailer?

          Watt

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
            furler looked to be okay, but the sails are thin and soft. Okay for
            daysailing, but not worth salvaging the boat for. Keep in mind,
            unless you have free landfill service, it could cost a bunch to toss.
            Larry

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
              Watt, not sure what the question is, but the keel is lead, and it is
              NOT the shoal draft. It is not on a trailer. --- In

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
                Sorry for the confusion.. was just wondering if the boat has a keel that would need extended bunks on a trailer?

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
                  GO FOR IT, Larry!!

                  Stop all this chit-chat about scrap value, and what-not....get the
                  Lazarus thing on and work a deal....

                  ~pete

                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Wilson"

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Pete,
                    Heres the thing...if I can borrow YOUR trailer, and keep it in YOUR
                    driveway while I make it new......I'll make the deal.
                    Otherwise.....kiss my grits!!! :0)
                    Larry Wilson
                    Richmond,Va.
                    PS...did that disc and label package ever show up?

                    --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Malone"
                    <petemalone@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > soon. He can't afford the storage costs.
                    > > > The boat is coast guard documented thru Jan.31, 2009.
                    > > > Here's a link to the Craigslist ad. I have contact information
                    > for
                    > > the
                    > > > seller if you want to contact him directly.
                    > > >
                    > > > http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/boa/972564382.html
                    > > >
                    > > > Larry Wilson
                    > > > Richmond,Va.
                    > > >

                    > > > ------------------------------------
                    > > >
                    > > > Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
                    > > > http://www.columbia-yachts.com/
                    > > >
                    > > > Home:
                    > > > http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

                    > > > To Subscribe, send a message to: columbiasailingyachts-
                    > > subscribe@

                    > > > **************Stay up-to-date on the latest news - from fashion
                    > > trends to
                    > > > celebrity break-ups and everything in between.

                  • Pete Malone
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2009
                      (Lessee)....on the one hand, more visits from Larry, on the other
                      hand, more telephone calls from my neighbor lady. Hard to decide.
                      Well, Larry, I might like her grits better,so...SORRY.
                      But, if you find someone who wants to buy a trailer, you know where
                      to send 'em. No warranty expressed or implied.