Coronado Cruiser?

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 1, 2009
      Anybody ever hear of a book by a guy that cruised the Pacific Coast in a
      small Coronado??

      HJ
    • Ratherbnnc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
        Got it! thanks Eric.

        In a message dated 1/1/2009 9:11:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        svcompassrose@... writes:

        Um, yeah, this is it. Some people just do this via email and forget
        that the site exists. Put them with the first picture you posted.

        Eric

        --- In _columbiasailingyachcolumbiasailingcol_
        (mailto:columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com) , Ratherbnnc@., Rat

        > What yahoo. site? I thought this was it...
        >

        > In a message dated 1/1/2009 5:41:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > svcompassrose@ svcompassrose@
        >

        > Why not post them on the Yahoo site? More people can help you with
        > the ID.
        >
        > Eric
        >
        > --- In _columbiasailingyac --- In _columbi --- In _
        > (mailto:_columbiasailingyachcolumbiasailingcol_
        (mailto:columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com) ) , Ratherbnnc@, Rat

        > > Yes sir.. i do have some other pictures... Now im dissapointed.
        Ye

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
          Bruce,

          Your companionway boards are numbered? Binary (Columbia 24) had 3
          solid boards with no markings or holes. If I remember correctly one
          edge of the top board was squared off, but all other top/bottom edges
          were beveled.

          Pelago (Columbia 40) had three boards. The two lower boards were
          interchangeable. The upper board had some grooves and slots for
          airflow and its top was arched to follow the contour of the underside
          of the companionway hatch.

          Eric

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
            Eric,
            I have three solid teak boards. Because the companion way is tapered and
            slants foreword, they only go in if in order and they all have to be right side
            up or the hatch will not close. The edge joints between the boards are cut at
            a slant. Each board has 1/2 inch holes in the middle to identify it. The
            bottom board has a single hole at the bottom, (Why the bottom is a mystery). The
            middle board has two holes in line vertically, The top board has a triangle
            pattern. I was in King Harbor, CA years ago and there was a fleet of about 20
            Challengers there at the time. I noticed that there was quite a bit of variation
            in details. Some had a single hatch board. Some with louvers, some had hinged
            lazerette doors, some had foredeck hatches, some not, (Mine just has a port
            light). I'm not sure just what are custom factory variations and what are owner
            mods. The interior of "Pink Cloud" in Royce's "Sailing Illustrated" shows a
            stove aft of the main bulkhead on the starboard side which may be a custom job.
            I know some have a stove unit that slides out from under the cockpit floor.
            Mine just has a drawer there. They all look the same but no two are alike.

          • lookoutnw@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
              You want the link to the guy who wesnt to the South Seas in a 28?  Remember him, some say he did not shw his best side...

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
                Bruce,

                I just looked through pictures of Challengers on the CYOA website and
                in the few that you can see it, the companionway sides are parallel.

                What kind of boat did you say you have? <BIG GRIN>

              • roger_ehinger
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
                  A number of companies built flush deck sloops, Mac Gregor made some
                  sub-25 foot models. One was called the Venture 22.
                  A couple of girls from outta town would sail one a few slips down
                  from ours. Some times four or five girls would go out, I never got
                  invited tho'. Both the boat and girls are gone now, so I can't check
                  the features (of the boat). More young girls are interested in guys
                  in thier 20's with 50 foot boats,than they are 50+ yr old guys with
                  20ft. boats.

                  Best2Ya
                  Roger Ehinger
                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "ratherbnnc"
                  <Ratherbnnc@...> wrote:

                  > I know we have been through this before, and i apologize. But, can
                  > anyone possibly help me ID this boat. My paperwork says its a 1980
                  > Columbia Coronado ( No, no hull number in the transom etc. Already
                  > checked that). Another boater seems to think its an early 60s
                  Columbia
                  > Challenger with modified windows. Ken isnt sure. The boat picture
                  is
                  > listed under photos as BOAT ID THIS? I have people who are
                  > interested in buying the boat and i really dont want to sell them
                  > something im not sure of.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help ladies and gents!
                  >
                  > Watt J
                  > Wake Forest, NC

                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
                    I am not sure, the question came up on the World cruising group and the
                    book was apparently about cruising the Pacific Coast in a Coronado 27.

                    HJ

                  • sgaber@tampabay.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 2, 2009
                      Also some models of the Cal 25, Cal 27 and I think 29T had flush decks.
                      --
                      Steve Gaber
                      Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77