RE: CYOA - Sea Dogs

  • Lookoutnw
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2008
      Haf,
      My dog a Shepherd Husky XX (low brid) mix was great company on the Chrysler
      22. Heeling, the boat, sailing, motoring whatever. She shakes and will
      jump off DT n a heart beat. She will learn as shortly she will be living on
      it during the week with me. She only has a couple of years left anyway.
      Same way with trucks, S10 was great, the Stepvan same situation, shakes and
      wants out. Actually jumped out the window when stopped. Bad ankle now.
      Kinda just like me…

      Jim & Chong Lussier
      KE7YOP
      SV Dawn Treader
      74 Columbia / Sailcrafter 45 #201
      Olympia, Wa

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
        Thanks Bruce! Now that sounds like a place i would like to live <grin>

        In a message dated 1/1/2009 1:22:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        Kbjmjrb@... writes:

        Watt,
        Absolutely, When the dog gets you up at first dawn and drags you out of a
        warm, snugly bed, you hook your best friend(s) to a leash and head out for
        the
        morning walk. As you are leaving, you suggest a few easy tasks to be done
        before you get back from the odious, but necessary task of walking the
        dog(s). Do
        not forget to emphasis division of labor and when you get back from the
        walk,
        mention the harrowing escapes from coyotes, javelina, and a few missed snake
        strikes. (Leave out the clear, crisp air, the deer you bounced, the smell of
        damp misquite and sage, the chollia and ocotillo flowers just coming out,
        dull
        stuff like that). But always leave it up to her to choose which morning
        chores
        she would like to do.

      • Ratherbnnc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
          Maybe someone should call that Cesar Milan guy " Dog Whisperer" on A&E or
          the TLC. He seems to know everything! haha

          In a message dated 1/1/2009 2:22:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          rustyrusticator@... writes:

          Haf, Bruce is right: Generally speaking, a dog's behavior in a car is
          loosely predictive of how they will act on a boat.

          A short leash, firmly attached to a stationary point on the boat, is
          essential to keeping a dog aboard when in port. Be sure the leash is NOT
          long enough to allow the dog to reach the gunwales, he may strangle himself
          if he goes over.

          Labradors and Golden Retrievers are notorious for loving the water, but you
          may have a hard time keeping them from jumping in for a swim.

          As far as introducing a dog to sailing, this has to be done in stages.
          Obviously, pick relatively calm times. The first time just let the dog go
          aboard and investigate, and hang out for awhile with the dog without leaving
          port (I know, tough for us to do.) Get him used to the sights, sounds,
          smells, and motion of the boat in the slip. The next time, start the engine
          and let the dog get used to that idea. Then head out briefly (less than a
          half hour,) and see how he likes it. Use plenty of praise and petting, this
          is not something you want to try while sailing single-handed. Someone has
          to pretty much be praising and petting the dog continuously until he
          demonstrates that he likes the boat and the idea of sailing.

          The life vest is indispensable: A few years ago, a dog was found afloat in
          one, and alive; he had been on a boat that had sunk (along with the owner.)
          One of the Coasties adopted the "orphaned" dog.

          I don't have any real answers for messes: Just get it cleaned up before it
          hits the bilge! Pet Smart has puppy training pads, but an older dog may or
          may not use them. They're pretty particular about where they "go." My
          current dog eliminates on command, and has managed to learn that he should
          piddle off the leeward gunwale!

          Carol Voss

          C26Mk II # 255 "Puffin"

          _____

          From: _columbiasailingyachcolumbiasailingcol_
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
            Yes, dogs are a funny lot. I have a mixed breed (lab and spaniel) dog
            who lives aboard with me full time. She absolutely loves the water.
            She loves riding in the truck too... either inside or short-leashed
            in the bed. She has learned to do both num #1 & #2 on the bow.

            But, just let me start the engine and she starts pacing...while
            underway she will pace the circumference continually. I have a float
            coat for her and that calms her some...

            Final solution... a vet recommended and wrote a script for doggie
            downers. Give them to her an hour before setting sail and she will
            find her bed. Have heard Benedryl will have same affect but have not
            tried it. She never gets seasick but does not like neither the engine
            running nor being underway under sail. As soon as we anchor she is
            fine again.

            We live with it.. but next one will be started as a pup on the
            boat...and will also be a shedless breed...maybe a labradoodle?

            Joel Wilkins
            m/s Miss Magoo
            C-45, #98
            S. Pasadena, FL
          • jeff talbut
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
              -All of my dogs have been started young, one when I was living aboard.
              Started training on papers in a crate, progressed to a door mat that I
              attached to a line(kick it over board to flush) I had a friend that
              showed dogs, so that they wouldn't squat in the ring he would take
              them behind the building and stick a matchstick up their back
              side...instant response. My current dog doesn't like vibration under
              foot, boat motor when its running, rumble strips when in the car, my
              other ones grew up in CA and got used to the ground moving under their
              feet occasionally. I put nets in the lifelines and a short lead on the
              harness, just long enough to get over the rail, but not into the
              water, they jump once, dangle for a while, are very grateful to be
              pulled back aboard and seldom jump again...as long as you leave them
              dangle for a bit and don't act too exited about the whole thing. You
              might try leaving the motor run at the dock for a while to get them
              used to it, before getting underway.JT

              -- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Voss"

            • lookoutnw@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                I have found that most 'Pet Meds' are the same as us meds but with different names.  My son in a Pharm Tech and gives me the 'Let me fuzz dad's brain with all this chemical name crap' whenever we talk about it.  I guess he is just getting back at me for all those years of mechanical parts & repair and stuff.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                  One thing about dogs is that everything is training, some positive, some
                  negative, even when you are not actually in a training session. For example, never
                  take a dog for a walk and, as soon as he does his business, turn around and
                  go home An exception here may be if it is raining and thundering and going back
                  is considered a reward.

                  > Haf, Bruce is right: Generally speaking, a dog's behavior in a car is
                  > loosely predictive of how they will act on a boat.
                  >
                  > A short leash, firmly attached to a stationary point on the boat, is
                  > essential to keeping a dog aboard when in port. Be sure the leash is NOT
                  > long enough to allow the dog to reach the gunwales, he may strangle himself
                  > if he goes over.
                  >
                  > Labradors and Golden Retrievers are notorious for loving the water, but you
                  > may have a hard time keeping them from jumping in for a swim.
                  >
                  > As far as introducing a dog to sailing, this has to be done in stages.
                  > Obviously, pick relatively calm times. The first time just let the dog go
                  > aboard and investigate, and hang out for awhile with the dog without leaving
                  > port (I know, tough for us to do.) Get him used to the sights, sounds,
                  > smells, and motion of the boat in the slip. The next time, start the engine
                  > and let the dog get used to that idea. Then head out briefly (less than a
                  > half hour,) and see how he likes it. Use plenty of praise and petting, this
                  > is not something you want to try while sailing single-handed. Someone has
                  > to pretty much be praising and petting the dog continuously until he
                  > demonstrates that he likes the boat and the idea of sailing.
                  >
                  > The life vest is indispensable: A few years ago, a dog was found afloat in
                  > one, and alive; he had been on a boat that had sunk (along with the owner.)
                  > One of the Coasties adopted the "orphaned" dog.
                  >
                  > I don't have any real answers for messes: Just get it cleaned up before it
                  > hits the bilge! Pet Smart has puppy training pads, but an older dog may or
                  > may not use them. They're pretty particular about where they "go." My
                  > current dog eliminates on command, and has managed to learn that he should
                  > piddle off the leeward gunwale!
                  >
                  > Carol Voss
                  >
                  > C26Mk II # 255 "Puffin"

                • Patricia Noonan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Have had the same experience with several people I've taken
                    sailing...lol. I think it has to do with the personality...
                    my little mut "spike" loves the water and I had another one that just
                    loved the boat..
                    --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "haf_jonsson"