RE: CYOA - Sea Dogs

  • Lookoutnw
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2008
      Haf,
      My dog a Shepherd Husky XX (low brid) mix was great company on the Chrysler
      22. Heeling, the boat, sailing, motoring whatever. She shakes and will
      jump off DT n a heart beat. She will learn as shortly she will be living on
      it during the week with me. She only has a couple of years left anyway.
      Same way with trucks, S10 was great, the Stepvan same situation, shakes and
      wants out. Actually jumped out the window when stopped. Bad ankle now.
      Kinda just like me…

      Jim & Chong Lussier
      KE7YOP
      SV Dawn Treader
      74 Columbia / Sailcrafter 45 #201
      Olympia, Wa

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
        James,
        This brings up and interesting anecdote. A sailing friend of mine, (The
        one with the Standard Poodle), used to work for the Secret Service and he could
        ski! Whenever President Ford went to Vail, he was assigned to the detail. One
        night, they had just checked into Condo One and were doing a little world
        business when the President's Golden Retriever, "Liberty" did hers on the rug. My
        friend got up to deal with it, but the President stood up and said, "Please,
        sit down. No man should have to clean up after another man's dog."; and took
        care of it.

        > I have to admit, Haf, that those questions never occured to me. The only
        > questions I ever had about pets on boats are, and I quote: "where do they crap,
        > and who gets to clean it up?"
        > James R. Muri
        >
        > Novelist, Sailor
        > BUY: My e-Novels at http://blizzardguy.com/venture/
        > SITE: http://blizzardguy.com
        > BLOG: http://theostrichkiller.blogspot.com

      • Carol Voss
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
          Haf, Bruce is right: Generally speaking, a dog's behavior in a car is
          loosely predictive of how they will act on a boat.

          A short leash, firmly attached to a stationary point on the boat, is
          essential to keeping a dog aboard when in port. Be sure the leash is NOT
          long enough to allow the dog to reach the gunwales, he may strangle himself
          if he goes over.

          Labradors and Golden Retrievers are notorious for loving the water, but you
          may have a hard time keeping them from jumping in for a swim.

          As far as introducing a dog to sailing, this has to be done in stages.
          Obviously, pick relatively calm times. The first time just let the dog go
          aboard and investigate, and hang out for awhile with the dog without leaving
          port (I know, tough for us to do.) Get him used to the sights, sounds,
          smells, and motion of the boat in the slip. The next time, start the engine
          and let the dog get used to that idea. Then head out briefly (less than a
          half hour,) and see how he likes it. Use plenty of praise and petting, this
          is not something you want to try while sailing single-handed. Someone has
          to pretty much be praising and petting the dog continuously until he
          demonstrates that he likes the boat and the idea of sailing.

          The life vest is indispensable: A few years ago, a dog was found afloat in
          one, and alive; he had been on a boat that had sunk (along with the owner.)
          One of the Coasties adopted the "orphaned" dog.

          I don't have any real answers for messes: Just get it cleaned up before it
          hits the bilge! Pet Smart has puppy training pads, but an older dog may or
          may not use them. They're pretty particular about where they "go." My
          current dog eliminates on command, and has managed to learn that he should
          piddle off the leeward gunwale!

          Carol Voss

          C26Mk II # 255 "Puffin"

          _____

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
            Thanks Bruce! Now that sounds like a place i would like to live <grin>

            In a message dated 1/1/2009 1:22:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            Kbjmjrb@... writes:

            Watt,
            Absolutely, When the dog gets you up at first dawn and drags you out of a
            warm, snugly bed, you hook your best friend(s) to a leash and head out for
            the
            morning walk. As you are leaving, you suggest a few easy tasks to be done
            before you get back from the odious, but necessary task of walking the
            dog(s). Do
            not forget to emphasis division of labor and when you get back from the
            walk,
            mention the harrowing escapes from coyotes, javelina, and a few missed snake
            strikes. (Leave out the clear, crisp air, the deer you bounced, the smell of
            damp misquite and sage, the chollia and ocotillo flowers just coming out,
            dull
            stuff like that). But always leave it up to her to choose which morning
            chores
            she would like to do.

          • Ratherbnnc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
              Maybe someone should call that Cesar Milan guy " Dog Whisperer" on A&E or
              the TLC. He seems to know everything! haha

              From: _columbiasailingyachcolumbiasailingcol_
> [...]

              Los Lunas, NM >

              > Happy New Year everyone.
              >
              > Today I went sailing and brought a dog with me. I'm babysitting it
              > for my son and for most parts it is fine with me. But on the water the
              > animal went nuts. He was squeeling and hauling and trembling in fear
              > all the time. I returned early, but as I slid into the slip the animal
              > jumped and landed in the water, and nearly got itself squished between
              > the boat and the dock.
              > In the past I have sailed with a guy who had a dog and it never was
              > trouble. I wonder if different breeds have different hang-ups about
              > sailing. This one is an Australian Red Heeler, and is absolutely
              > delightful on the trails. But, on the water it was not happy.
              > My question is: Do different types of dogs adapt more easily than
              > others to sailing? The next question is: How do you break a dog in to

            • Joel
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                Yes, dogs are a funny lot. I have a mixed breed (lab and spaniel) dog
                who lives aboard with me full time. She absolutely loves the water.
                She loves riding in the truck too... either inside or short-leashed
                in the bed. She has learned to do both num #1 & #2 on the bow.

                But, just let me start the engine and she starts pacing...while
                underway she will pace the circumference continually. I have a float
                coat for her and that calms her some...

                Final solution... a vet recommended and wrote a script for doggie
                downers. Give them to her an hour before setting sail and she will
                find her bed. Have heard Benedryl will have same affect but have not
                tried it. She never gets seasick but does not like neither the engine
                running nor being underway under sail. As soon as we anchor she is
                fine again.

                We live with it.. but next one will be started as a pup on the
                boat...and will also be a shedless breed...maybe a labradoodle?

                Joel Wilkins
                m/s Miss Magoo
                C-45, #98
                S. Pasadena, FL
              • jeff talbut
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                  -All of my dogs have been started young, one when I was living aboard.
                  Started training on papers in a crate, progressed to a door mat that I
                  attached to a line(kick it over board to flush) I had a friend that
                  showed dogs, so that they wouldn't squat in the ring he would take
                  them behind the building and stick a matchstick up their back
                  side...instant response. My current dog doesn't like vibration under
                  foot, boat motor when its running, rumble strips when in the car, my
                  other ones grew up in CA and got used to the ground moving under their
                  feet occasionally. I put nets in the lifelines and a short lead on the
                  harness, just long enough to get over the rail, but not into the
                  water, they jump once, dangle for a while, are very grateful to be
                  pulled back aboard and seldom jump again...as long as you leave them
                  dangle for a bit and don't act too exited about the whole thing. You
                  might try leaving the motor run at the dock for a while to get them
                  used to it, before getting underway.JT

                  -- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Voss"

                • lookoutnw@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                    I have found that most 'Pet Meds' are the same as us meds but with different names.  My son in a Pharm Tech and gives me the 'Let me fuzz dad's brain with all this chemical name crap' whenever we talk about it.  I guess he is just getting back at me for all those years of mechanical parts & repair and stuff.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                      One thing about dogs is that everything is training, some positive, some
                      negative, even when you are not actually in a training session. For example, never
                      take a dog for a walk and, as soon as he does his business, turn around and
                      go home An exception here may be if it is raining and thundering and going back
                      is considered a reward.

                      > Haf, Bruce is right: Generally speaking, a dog's behavior in a car is
                      > loosely predictive of how they will act on a boat.
                      >
                      > A short leash, firmly attached to a stationary point on the boat, is
                      > essential to keeping a dog aboard when in port. Be sure the leash is NOT
                      > long enough to allow the dog to reach the gunwales, he may strangle himself
                      > if he goes over.
                      >
                      > Labradors and Golden Retrievers are notorious for loving the water, but you
                      > may have a hard time keeping them from jumping in for a swim.
                      >
                      > As far as introducing a dog to sailing, this has to be done in stages.
                      > Obviously, pick relatively calm times. The first time just let the dog go
                      > aboard and investigate, and hang out for awhile with the dog without leaving
                      > port (I know, tough for us to do.) Get him used to the sights, sounds,
                      > smells, and motion of the boat in the slip. The next time, start the engine
                      > and let the dog get used to that idea. Then head out briefly (less than a
                      > half hour,) and see how he likes it. Use plenty of praise and petting, this
                      > is not something you want to try while sailing single-handed. Someone has
                      > to pretty much be praising and petting the dog continuously until he
                      > demonstrates that he likes the boat and the idea of sailing.
                      >
                      > The life vest is indispensable: A few years ago, a dog was found afloat in
                      > one, and alive; he had been on a boat that had sunk (along with the owner.)
                      > One of the Coasties adopted the "orphaned" dog.
                      >
                      > I don't have any real answers for messes: Just get it cleaned up before it
                      > hits the bilge! Pet Smart has puppy training pads, but an older dog may or
                      > may not use them. They're pretty particular about where they "go." My
                      > current dog eliminates on command, and has managed to learn that he should
                      > piddle off the leeward gunwale!
                      >
                      > Carol Voss
                      >
                      > C26Mk II # 255 "Puffin"

                    • Patricia Noonan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Have had the same experience with several people I've taken
                        sailing...lol. I think it has to do with the personality...
                        my little mut "spike" loves the water and I had another one that just
                        loved the boat..
                        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "haf_jonsson"