RE: CYOA - Sea Dogs

  • Lookoutnw
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2008
      Haf,
      My dog a Shepherd Husky XX (low brid) mix was great company on the Chrysler
      22. Heeling, the boat, sailing, motoring whatever. She shakes and will
      jump off DT n a heart beat. She will learn as shortly she will be living on
      it during the week with me. She only has a couple of years left anyway.
      Same way with trucks, S10 was great, the Stepvan same situation, shakes and
      wants out. Actually jumped out the window when stopped. Bad ankle now.
      Kinda just like me…

      Jim & Chong Lussier
      KE7YOP
      SV Dawn Treader
      74 Columbia / Sailcrafter 45 #201
      Olympia, Wa

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
        Haf,
        I've never seen any breed preference. I commonly sail with at least one and
        sometimes three Belgian Tervuerens. Others on the dock have Standard Poodles,
        Airedales, Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, German Short-hairs, all sorts of dogs. I
        think it is individual specific, like dogs that get real nervous when riding in
        a car. There is a variety of nonprescription supplements called calming aids
        available through pet supply stores or veterinary clinics which are intended
        to help with this and other common stress situations like thunder storms. It's
        hard to say just why the dog was nervous. It could be the motion of the boat,
        the noise of the engine, being confined below, or what. Some of my dogs prefer
        the foredeck, others just rack out below. I have several recommendations in
        general. Put a good quality life jacket on the pet. It should buckle on the
        top, (the ones that buckle under the belly are too hard to put on), and it should
        have a harness ring. I personally have a harness on the dogs at all times
        around the lake anyway. It should be strong and secure enough to attach a line
        and lift the pet back aboard. At, or near the dock, tie the pet to something or
        confine them below. If you sail regularly with a pet, get them their own gear
        bag with everything needed. I keep a dedicated set of brushes, leashes, boots,
        food dishes, medicines, etc. in a bag ready to go. Getting a dog to poop in
        the cockpit or on the deck is tough. I lucked out because I had a dog that
        would basically go on command because I trained him to do so while on long driving
        trips. Once the others saw that it was OK, they would also do so. One fellow
        with a Standard Poodle tried all sorts of things, like having him pee on a
        bush on shore and then bring the bush aboard but never did have much luck. Most
        cruisers just figure on a shore trip in the morning and evening. One friend
        took her Lhasa Apso on a month long cruise around Victoria Island on her Ranger
        32 and basically, that worked, but, of course, she was always in sight of land.
        Dogs do take a little extra effort to work out as sailing companions, but
        they're not as much trouble as kids

        Los Lunas, NM >

      • Ratherbnnc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
          Bruce,

          Any advice on training "The Admiral" to do some work while she is on the
          boat?
          (Grin)

          Watt Jones

        • jeff talbut
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
            How do you break a dog in to
            > like going sailing?...Same way as "Admirals"...start 'em young,
            Happy New Year! JT

            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Ratherbnnc@... wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > Today I went sailing and brought a dog with me. I'm babysitting it
            > > for my son and for most parts it is fine with me. But on the water
            the
            > > animal went nuts. He was squeeling and hauling and trembling in fear
            > > all the time. I returned early, but as I slid into the slip the
            animal
            > > jumped and landed in the water, and nearly got itself squished
            between
            > > the boat and the dock.
            > > In the past I have sailed with a guy who had a dog and it never was
            > > trouble. I wonder if different breeds have different hang-ups about
            > > sailing. This one is an Australian Red Heeler, and is absolutely
            > > delightful on the trails. But, on the water it was not happy.
            > > My question is: Do different types of dogs adapt more easily than
            > > others to sailing? The next question is: How do you break a dog

          • haf_jonsson
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
              Jim; The animal is a little crap machine, but it has me fully
              trained on dealing with that sort of thing. Equipped with a roll of
              little green plastic bags while walking it, I have found myself
              picking sh*t off practically every lawn in the neighborhood.

              Haf

              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Jim Muri <irumrj@...>
              wrote:

              > I have to admit, Haf, that those questions never occured to me.
              The only questions I ever had about pets on boats are, and I
              quote: "where do they crap, and who gets to clean it up?"
              >  James R. Muri
              >
              > Novelist, Sailor
              > BUY: My e-Novels at http://blizzardguy.com/venture/
              > SITE: http://blizzardguy.com
              > BLOG: http://theostrichkiller.blogspot.com
              >

              > ________________________________

            • haf_jonsson
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                Bruce; My sense is that it was mainly the motion of the boat that
                irritated the dog. He was constantly struggling staying on his feet,
                and just wouldn't lie down. But there were also sea lions around and
                maybe the smell from them scared him. He stayed on the cockpit sole,
                sliding back and forth and perhaps hiding from whatever might be out
                there.
                I might try to take him out again, just to see if he can get used to
                this, but I only have him through Sunday.
                Before I go my boat, I sailed occasionally with a friend who had a
                black lab named Josefine, and she just shifted herself to the low
                side in the cockpit when we tacked and dosed off. Very different
                experience.

                Haf

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                  Watt,
                  Absolutely, When the dog gets you up at first dawn and drags you out of a
                  warm, snugly bed, you hook your best friend(s) to a leash and head out for the
                  morning walk. As you are leaving, you suggest a few easy tasks to be done
                  before you get back from the odious, but necessary task of walking the dog(s). Do
                  not forget to emphasis division of labor and when you get back from the walk,
                  mention the harrowing escapes from coyotes, javelina, and a few missed snake
                  strikes. (Leave out the clear, crisp air, the deer you bounced, the smell of
                  damp misquite and sage, the chollia and ocotillo flowers just coming out, dull
                  stuff like that). But always leave it up to her to choose which morning chores
                  she would like to do.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                    James,
                    This brings up and interesting anecdote. A sailing friend of mine, (The
                    one with the Standard Poodle), used to work for the Secret Service and he could
                    ski! Whenever President Ford went to Vail, he was assigned to the detail. One
                    night, they had just checked into Condo One and were doing a little world
                    business when the President's Golden Retriever, "Liberty" did hers on the rug. My
                    friend got up to deal with it, but the President stood up and said, "Please,
                    sit down. No man should have to clean up after another man's dog."; and took
                    care of it.

                    > I have to admit, Haf, that those questions never occured to me. The only
                    > questions I ever had about pets on boats are, and I quote: "where do they crap,
                    > and who gets to clean it up?"
                    > James R. Muri
                    >
                    > Novelist, Sailor
                    > BUY: My e-Novels at http://blizzardguy.com/venture/
                    > SITE: http://blizzardguy.com
                    > BLOG: http://theostrichkiller.blogspot.com

                  • Carol Voss
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                      Haf, Bruce is right: Generally speaking, a dog's behavior in a car is
                      loosely predictive of how they will act on a boat.

                      A short leash, firmly attached to a stationary point on the boat, is
                      essential to keeping a dog aboard when in port. Be sure the leash is NOT
                      long enough to allow the dog to reach the gunwales, he may strangle himself
                      if he goes over.

                      Labradors and Golden Retrievers are notorious for loving the water, but you
                      may have a hard time keeping them from jumping in for a swim.

                      As far as introducing a dog to sailing, this has to be done in stages.
                      Obviously, pick relatively calm times. The first time just let the dog go
                      aboard and investigate, and hang out for awhile with the dog without leaving
                      port (I know, tough for us to do.) Get him used to the sights, sounds,
                      smells, and motion of the boat in the slip. The next time, start the engine
                      and let the dog get used to that idea. Then head out briefly (less than a
                      half hour,) and see how he likes it. Use plenty of praise and petting, this
                      is not something you want to try while sailing single-handed. Someone has
                      to pretty much be praising and petting the dog continuously until he
                      demonstrates that he likes the boat and the idea of sailing.

                      The life vest is indispensable: A few years ago, a dog was found afloat in
                      one, and alive; he had been on a boat that had sunk (along with the owner.)
                      One of the Coasties adopted the "orphaned" dog.

                      I don't have any real answers for messes: Just get it cleaned up before it
                      hits the bilge! Pet Smart has puppy training pads, but an older dog may or
                      may not use them. They're pretty particular about where they "go." My
                      current dog eliminates on command, and has managed to learn that he should
                      piddle off the leeward gunwale!

                      Carol Voss

                      C26Mk II # 255 "Puffin"

                      _____

                    • Ratherbnnc@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                        Thanks Bruce! Now that sounds like a place i would like to live <grin>

                      • Ratherbnnc@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                          Maybe someone should call that Cesar Milan guy " Dog Whisperer" on A&E or
                          the TLC. He seems to know everything! haha

                          From: _columbiasailingyachcolumbiasailingcol_
> [...]

                          Los Lunas, NM >

                          > Happy New Year everyone.
                          >
                          > Today I went sailing and brought a dog with me. I'm babysitting it
                          > for my son and for most parts it is fine with me. But on the water the
                          > animal went nuts. He was squeeling and hauling and trembling in fear
                          > all the time. I returned early, but as I slid into the slip the animal
                          > jumped and landed in the water, and nearly got itself squished between
                          > the boat and the dock.
                          > In the past I have sailed with a guy who had a dog and it never was
                          > trouble. I wonder if different breeds have different hang-ups about
                          > sailing. This one is an Australian Red Heeler, and is absolutely
                          > delightful on the trails. But, on the water it was not happy.
                          > My question is: Do different types of dogs adapt more easily than
                          > others to sailing? The next question is: How do you break a dog in to

                        • Joel
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                            Yes, dogs are a funny lot. I have a mixed breed (lab and spaniel) dog
                            who lives aboard with me full time. She absolutely loves the water.
                            She loves riding in the truck too... either inside or short-leashed
                            in the bed. She has learned to do both num #1 & #2 on the bow.

                            But, just let me start the engine and she starts pacing...while
                            underway she will pace the circumference continually. I have a float
                            coat for her and that calms her some...

                            Final solution... a vet recommended and wrote a script for doggie
                            downers. Give them to her an hour before setting sail and she will
                            find her bed. Have heard Benedryl will have same affect but have not
                            tried it. She never gets seasick but does not like neither the engine
                            running nor being underway under sail. As soon as we anchor she is
                            fine again.

                            We live with it.. but next one will be started as a pup on the
                            boat...and will also be a shedless breed...maybe a labradoodle?

                            Joel Wilkins
                            m/s Miss Magoo
                            C-45, #98
                            S. Pasadena, FL
                          • jeff talbut
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
                              -All of my dogs have been started young, one when I was living aboard.
                              Started training on papers in a crate, progressed to a door mat that I
                              attached to a line(kick it over board to flush) I had a friend that
                              showed dogs, so that they wouldn't squat in the ring he would take
                              them behind the building and stick a matchstick up their back
                              side...instant response. My current dog doesn't like vibration under
                              foot, boat motor when its running, rumble strips when in the car, my
                              other ones grew up in CA and got used to the ground moving under their
                              feet occasionally. I put nets in the lifelines and a short lead on the
                              harness, just long enough to get over the rail, but not into the
                              water, they jump once, dangle for a while, are very grateful to be
                              pulled back aboard and seldom jump again...as long as you leave them
                              dangle for a bit and don't act too exited about the whole thing. You
                              might try leaving the motor run at the dock for a while to get them
                              used to it, before getting underway.JT

                              -- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Voss"

                            • lookoutnw@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                                I have found that most 'Pet Meds' are the same as us meds but with different names.  My son in a Pharm Tech and gives me the 'Let me fuzz dad's brain with all this chemical name crap' whenever we talk about it.  I guess he is just getting back at me for all those years of mechanical parts & repair and stuff.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                                  One thing about dogs is that everything is training, some positive, some
                                  negative, even when you are not actually in a training session. For example, never
                                  take a dog for a walk and, as soon as he does his business, turn around and
                                  go home An exception here may be if it is raining and thundering and going back
                                  is considered a reward.

                                  > Haf, Bruce is right: Generally speaking, a dog's behavior in a car is
                                  > loosely predictive of how they will act on a boat.
                                  >
                                  > A short leash, firmly attached to a stationary point on the boat, is
                                  > essential to keeping a dog aboard when in port. Be sure the leash is NOT
                                  > long enough to allow the dog to reach the gunwales, he may strangle himself
                                  > if he goes over.
                                  >
                                  > Labradors and Golden Retrievers are notorious for loving the water, but you
                                  > may have a hard time keeping them from jumping in for a swim.
                                  >
                                  > As far as introducing a dog to sailing, this has to be done in stages.
                                  > Obviously, pick relatively calm times. The first time just let the dog go
                                  > aboard and investigate, and hang out for awhile with the dog without leaving
                                  > port (I know, tough for us to do.) Get him used to the sights, sounds,
                                  > smells, and motion of the boat in the slip. The next time, start the engine
                                  > and let the dog get used to that idea. Then head out briefly (less than a
                                  > half hour,) and see how he likes it. Use plenty of praise and petting, this
                                  > is not something you want to try while sailing single-handed. Someone has
                                  > to pretty much be praising and petting the dog continuously until he
                                  > demonstrates that he likes the boat and the idea of sailing.
                                  >
                                  > The life vest is indispensable: A few years ago, a dog was found afloat in
                                  > one, and alive; he had been on a boat that had sunk (along with the owner.)
                                  > One of the Coasties adopted the "orphaned" dog.
                                  >
                                  > I don't have any real answers for messes: Just get it cleaned up before it
                                  > hits the bilge! Pet Smart has puppy training pads, but an older dog may or
                                  > may not use them. They're pretty particular about where they "go." My
                                  > current dog eliminates on command, and has managed to learn that he should
                                  > piddle off the leeward gunwale!
                                  >
                                  > Carol Voss
                                  >
                                  > C26Mk II # 255 "Puffin"

                                • Patricia Noonan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
                                    Have had the same experience with several people I've taken
                                    sailing...lol. I think it has to do with the personality...
                                    my little mut "spike" loves the water and I had another one that just
                                    loved the boat..
                                    --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "haf_jonsson"