Re: CYOA - Re: Ship's Log 12/26/08

  • Charles Bourne
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2008
      John - I took your earlier post to heart and decided to go out this afternoon. Checked WeatherUnderground first to make sure there was wind and no forecast of real rain (NAS Pensacola had SSW at 7). Forecast afternoon winds were 5-10, so thought this would e a good 'lazy day' sail.

      We got to marina about 1:00, found some wind at marina, so was expecting to see same on Pensacola Bay. We saw 3-4 sailboats as we crossed the high rise brdge over Bayou Chico, and saw 2 more going out as we slipped the lines at the dock.

      We motored out through the channel of Bayou Chico as we always do (wife gets squeamish if I try to sail in/out through channel). I'm not sure if the wind died, or whether there was any on the bay at all at that time... Popped sails, cut motor, water had an 'oiley' look that means there isn't even a ripple on the surface, and no wind above either... Floated around for about an hour, then decided to crank up iron genny when rain clouds started accumulating over NAS. One sailboat was being towed back in, as they had no other means of propulsion.

      What's the old saying - a bad fishing is better than a good day at work? Same applies to sailing - just to be back on the water today was a great feeling. Maybe we will enjoy another day like yesterday was for you...

      Fair wind, following seas...

      Charles Bourne
      1975 T-23 GEM # 357
      Pensacola, FL