Re: CYOA - teak holly ply

  • Sailwood@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
      Jim,

      search Woodfinder.com. Type in your area code and other info that they ask
      for. The site is pretty easy to use. If you have access to woodworking
      equipment you can make your own out of solid teak and either real holly
      (difficult to find in clear) or white maple. The plywood stuff has a pretty thin
      veneer that will sand through in an instant if you are not careful.

      Doug Soden
      ASPEN Columbia 29 #131
      Great Bay, NJ

      In a message dated 11/3/2008 4:26:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      boothjg@... writes:

      Does anybody know a source near Chicago for teak & holly plywood? I'm
      replacing the sole. I found one place in Ohio but that isn't very
      local.

      Jim
      C-8.7 Penny Lane
      Waukegan Harbor, IL

      **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
      5 Travel Deals!

    • Dan Misener
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
        Hi Jim,

        Homestead Hardwoods is where I buy that sort of stuff.  and all my Teak as well.  Nice folks and a good selection.  But they are in Ohio.

        THe last time I checked T&H marine ply was about $155 a sheet.  I am planning on going out there to get some H&T Ply in the next couple of weeks myslef.

        I have seen on-line distributors, but I am guessing freight from Ohio to Waukegan is probably cheeper.

        (FYI - I used to be stationed at GL NTC)

        Good luck,

        Dan and Patti
        Strega
        C 34 MKII

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
          Jim, I see someone around great lakes in cragslist, look under
          kenosha/Racine..OH, found my sailcover in Sept. Was in the bottom of my sailbag. A friend
          of mine had helped take the sails off a couple years ago, he folded it and
          put it in the bag. He said that comes off first and goes in the bag first..I
          got all the material from a place in Flordia...sunbrella, they sell it for 8
          bucks a yard the 60 inch stuff..Will be my project to make a new sailcover
          now..I will fordward you the link of who had the wood and the email for the
          sunbrella if you want..thanks..Ted in Kenosha

        • jeff talbut
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
            I need around two sheets(actually 2 three by seven pieces) they give a
            five % discount on six or more, how many do you need? If several of us
            bought at the same time we could perhaps save a little, I am not far
            from Vickery, Ohio and could perhaps meet halfway or something to
            reduce drive time...JT
            PS: Price is up a little from 155.00 and depends upon thickness, 4x10
            is available...

            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Dan Misener