Re: CYOA - Cruising on a Tight Buget

  • Leslie Pellegrin
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi Dave...
      If you haven't already read this delightful story, please do. Despite it's age, there is a timeless aspect as well.
      Good luck...hope it helps you find a way to take the plunge !
      Leslie Pellegrin
      In the same boat...I wish!
      http://www.out-of-the-blue.info/200quid.html

      Morro Bay, Ca.
    • jeff talbut
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 25, 2008
        Some years appreciably less... some quite a bit more. Depends upon
        where you are cruising, how many aboard(I was generally solo), how
        many side trips(and trips home) and how long you have been gone, while
        you learn to live less expensively as time goes by the costs of
        replacements and repairs go up. We tend to leave with so much stuff
        aboard it doesn't cost that much the first year(the year BEFORE you
        leave is the expensive one). Central America can be cheaper than the
        Caribbean Islands, depending upon which countries/which coast...The
        Pacific can get pricey depending upon which harbors and for how
        long...Europe/the Med. even more so. The more electronics you have the
        more expensive years two/three/four get as they all seem to eventually
        fail. Celestial education and an inexpensive GPS can be a lot cheaper
        in the long run. Of course my experience is somewhat dated and my
        luxury level was low.(the five year average did end up being around 10
        grand per/yr, though some of that was offset with deliveries of other
        peoples boats back to the States + the fact that I tended to spend
        freely when I had just made some money and then not when it had been a
        while)

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Jim Muri <irumrj@...> wrote:

        > I read somewhere recently that the typical blue water cruiser
        (island hopper, for example)gets by on about $10K per year, assuming
        they own their boat.  Not sure how recent those numbers are, but I'd
        bet there are folks in this forum who can shed more light on that number.

        > If you have transportable skills, all the better.  I know an
        orthopedic surgeon who recently returned from a 14.5 year circumnav.
        Took him that long because he and his wife stopped many places and
        worked.  He says he just loves motorcycles.  Go figure.