WATER PRESSURE & OLD HOSES

  • Doug Ward
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi all,
      I really appreciate this message board, I always learn something &
      share a Haf laff with you at times too.
      I recently replaced the fresh water pump on our C-45 Compadre.(not
      the one on the engine, the one that feeds water to the galley, heads,
      etc.) It's a new Jabsco, with an adjustment screw for the amount of
      pressure it feeds before the automatic shutoff engages. I decided that
      we needed more pressure to the aft shower so I screwed in a little
      more pressure ( several times) until I was happy with it. WOW ! the
      whole boat had water pressure like we owned the utility company. That
      is until one of the hoses gave up & we had a bilge pretty full of
      fresh water.Of course, the hose that blew had to have been installed
      at the factory some 35 years ago, before the engine was put in.
      Totally / absolutley unreachable. I figured that it was just an old
      hose but at the same time, wondered just how much pressure I was
      dealing with. I have never seen a pressure gage installed on this
      system on a boat before, but we have one now. I installed a 60 PSI
      gage & turned the system on. The needle went around the gage, past the
      60 & slammed into the backside of the "0"stop pin. My guess is about
      90 to 100 PSI.Well, DUH ! no wonder the poor old hose failed. MY BAD.I
      have readjusted the pressure down to 50 PSI & have replumbed half the
      boat with new hoses. This is NOT a fun kind of a job, people, so , as
      I have learned, these new water pumps can really put out, to the point
      of destroying the equipment they feed.

      Doug Ward
      Columbia 45 # 118
      Compadre
      Long Beach, Ca.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        I just replaced the original fresh water pressure pump in Outatime, Doug.  It was located in the lazarette and had developed leaks - probably from freezing one winter.  In any event, I put in a much quieter, lower volume pump out of respect for my wife's ears and the old plumbing.

        Turns out that 2 gpm pushed through a carbon filter is just fine for filling pots, washing up, etc.  And the new pump is so quiet that we cannot hear it even at the sink.  It's one of those cheap Shurflo pumps, less than $100 ( http://www.shurflo.com/pages/Marine/marine_categories/potable2.html.)  I wonder how long it'll last?

         James R. Muri

        Novelist, Sailor
        BUY: My e-Novels at http://blizzardguy.com/venture/
        SITE: http://blizzardguy.com
        BLOG: http://theostrichkiller.blogspot.com

[...]

      • Darrell Powell-Ford
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
          That's funny, I just did the same thing.  Our old pump finally stopped pumping water so we bought a new Johnson pump.  It's probably running about 30 psi, great pressure for what we need now.  But I am ending up with 3 gallons of water in the bilge every 2 days!  Have you noticed a tank of water is not what it used to be!  The next project is now replumbing with PEX and my new exhaust system.

          Darrell Ford
          Coronado 45 "Rubber Duckies"

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
            I have re-plumbed my boat with:
            1/2 Pex & Sharkbites connectors. Blue Cold, Red Hot, white salt water
            3//4 White… Hydronic… II hope to have it in operation by the end of the
            month, 3 zones, HW Tank & heat exchanger also incorporated into it. I got
            the Hurricane IID from ITR is anyone is interested…

            Jim Lussier
            9734 Lookout Dr NW
            Olympia, WA 98502
            (360) 451-3072