Re: How do you tack? (was CYOA - Ash Ling)

  • Just Me!
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
      I'm a C kind of gal. I usually move just before we tack unless we have
      a lot of passenger weight on the opposite side. Trying to move uphill
      on arm strength alone can be entertaining to watch. Let's just say I
      need to work on my sail trimming to keep the heel to a sane level some
      days. <g>
      Renee

    • cmckesson2005
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
        I set the wind vane on the new course. The vane turns the boat very
        slowly, so I let the jib back-wind and blow the bow across to help the
        tack. Then I sign out "let her go" and Deb casts off the old sheet
        while I haul away on the new sheet. By the time she has things sorted
        on her side, she comes across to tail for my while I grab a winch
        handle (Wilson Winch Wheel in our case <grin>). Once the sail is
        sheeted home we tidy up the tails, and lean back against the chairs
        and pick up our books again.

        Chris

        Oh, without the vane and singlehanded? I steer the tiller with my
        foot while attend to teh jib sheets.

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Eric White"
        <svcompassrose@...> wrote:

        > Tack. That was my first thought, too. <grin>
        >
        > But it brings up a question to you tiller users:
        >
        > When you tack, do you:
        >
        > A. move to the windward side of the boat
        > B. switch hands on the tiller
        > C. A and B
        > D. keep your butt in the same spot
        > E. it depends.....
        >
        > I've seen people do all of the above except B only. I fall into the C
        > catagory - I move to the windward side and switch hands. I think this
        > is because I did almost all my early sailing on stuff like Sunfish,
        > Force 5, etc. I had to move to the windward side or the boat would
        > tip over. I switched hands on the tiller because the hand towards the
        > bow controlled the main sheet, so the hand toward the stern controlled
        > the rudder. (Note - "controlled" was sometimes a relative term).
        >
        > I think this was reinforced when sailing a boat with any weather helm.
        > When sitting to windward you hold the tiller towards you; when sitting
        > to leeward you constantly have to push the tiller away. Holding it
        > toward me seems to take less effort and felt more natural.
        >
        > So, how do you tack?
        >
        > Eric
        >

        > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Ouellette
        > <pat@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:02:43PM -0000, jeff talbut wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Sighhh!!...Don't be "sorry" that was a sigh of relief...JT
        > > > Oh, by the way...about this reoccurring tiller cramp...
        > > >

        > > Tack more often ;-)>
        > >

        > > --
        > >
        > > Patrick Ouellette pat@
        > > ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO
        > > "Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't
        > hurt either"
        > > "Your arguments are an odd mix of overly optimistic on one side and
        > overly
        > > pessimistic on the other"

      • jeff talbut
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
          I need more Tact???
          E...
          Upwind- small jib- good air, I move to the high side, where I can hook
          one knee over the tiller to steer or sit up straight if the weather
          helm gets strong.
          Light air reach with bigger gennys, I trim for a little lee helm and
          stay low to watch beneath the sail, lee helm lets me steer with one foot.
          Moderate air on a reach, I usually stand up, lift the tiller and hold
          it behind my back. so I can lean on it and steer with just a little
          body english.
          Long run, I set a preventer or drop the main and hoist two hanked on
          gennys and move to the afterdeck, with two lines tied to the
          tiller>run through snatch blocks> prop a cushion or two against the
          pushpit and use the lines like reins...